AIX raw logical volumes

Post by Paul Campbe » Thu, 30 Sep 1993 06:54:19

hi all,

is it possible to move raw logical volumes using dd? thanks /pc

AIX raw logical volumes

Post by Jonathan Leffl » Sat, 02 Oct 1993 23:03:13

}Subject: AIX raw logical volumes
}Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 21:54:19 EST
}
}hi all,
}
}is it possible to move raw logical volumes using dd? thanks /pc

You're probably better off using smit, but Yes, dd can be used to handle just
about anything.  dd if=/dev/oldrawdev of=/dev/newrawdev bs=64k would probably
do the trick.  Why do you want to do it?

Yours,

AIX raw logical volumes

Post by Paul Campbe » Wed, 06 Oct 1993 06:09:43

>}is it possible to move raw logical volumes using dd? thanks /pc

>You're probably better off using smit, but Yes, dd can be used to handle just
>about anything.  dd if=/dev/oldrawdev of=/dev/newrawdev bs=64k would probably
>do the trick.  Why do you want to do it?

i had a hard disk failure where 3 out of 4 databases on the bad disk
where operational.  at the time we used tape and did a level 0 backup
of each database which we restored to the new location.  it occurred
to me that it would much faster if i could simply copy the logical
volume.  thanks for the feedback.  /pc
>Yours,

1. raw logical volumes and oracle

Does anyone have any experience using raaw logical volumes with oracle or
any reason not to use raw volumes in an HPUX environment?  Is there a
problem spanning multiple drives with a raw logical volume and putting a
tablespace on it?

Thanks,

Daniel

2. SuSE SLES7 / 8.1 DB2 / S390

3. Raw devices on HP logical volumes

4. SQL Server refuse to start

5. Raw logical volume device problem

6. how do I check for existing records?

7. logical volumes/filesystems for db's on AIX

8. Migration from Pervasive SQL 2000 to MS-SQL Server 2000 using ADO

9. Sybase devices and AIX logical volumes

10. Overwritten Logical Volume Block in AIX?

11. Informix on AIX using logical volume

12. D3 AIX Restoring Logical Volumes