SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by Prashant Kompell » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

Is there any way that an Informix database server could be monitored using
SNMP (ie dbspaces, extents etc)
(We run Informix 7.23 DSA online on Sun Solaris Hardware).

I rang up Informix and they said they don't have any (an earlier product is
available no more)

My system administrator says if this is true, Informix s..ks  because even
an outdated database like Progress has such a tool.

Cheers
PK

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by Mara » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It's SNMP Subagent.
See http://www.informix.com/answers/english/pids73.htm
"Informix SNMP Subagent Guide, February 1998"
for IDS 7.3

and

http://www.informix.com/answers/oldsite/answers/english/ods72xux.htm.
"INFORMIX-OnLine Dynamic Server SNMP Subagent Guide, Version 7.21"
for ODS 7.2.

> Hi,

> Is there any way that an Informix database server could be monitored using
> SNMP (ie dbspaces, extents etc)
> (We run Informix 7.23 DSA online on Sun Solaris Hardware).

> I rang up Informix and they said they don't have any (an earlier product is
> available no more)

> My system administrator says if this is true, Informix s..ks  because even
> an outdated database like Progress has such a tool.

> Cheers
> PK

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by David Ste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> My system administrator says if this is true, Informix s..ks  because even
> an outdated database like Progress has such a tool.

SNMP (in its various versions) has a reputation of being insecure.  SNMP
is also a bit old, so that support for it existed perhaps in the past,
but I think the more modern approach would be to have a web interface
that runs over SSL (secure socket layer) to monitor the database would
be more logical than some ancient protocol like snmp.

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by Olaf Kle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> My system administrator says if this is true, Informix s..ks  because even
>> an outdated database like Progress has such a tool.
>SNMP (in its various versions) has a reputation of being insecure.  SNMP
>is also a bit old, so that support for it existed perhaps in the past,
>but I think the more modern approach would be to have a web interface
>that runs over SSL (secure socket layer) to monitor the database would
>be more logical than some ancient protocol like snmp.

Webinterfaces may be modern, but they suck. How do you get the data from
inside a program? With snmp no problem, but to parse the HTML-Output is
a pain in the arse...

Bye, Olaf

--
A long december, and theres reason to believe, maybe this
year will be better than the last... [Counting Crows]

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by David Ste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >> My system administrator says if this is true, Informix s..ks  because even
> >> an outdated database like Progress has such a tool.
> >SNMP (in its various versions) has a reputation of being insecure.  SNMP
> >is also a bit old, so that support for it existed perhaps in the past,
> >but I think the more modern approach would be to have a web interface
> >that runs over SSL (secure socket layer) to monitor the database would
> >be more logical than some ancient protocol like snmp.

> Webinterfaces may be modern, but they suck. How do you get the data from
> inside a program?

You can download a file over https just as over ftp ... (with a command
line utility).   This could be a file, a set of variables, that you'd
get via snmp get-next-request otherwise.

Quote:> With snmp no problem, but to parse the HTML-Output is
> a pain in the arse...

I'd much rather have an ssl or ssh interface to informix than snmp.
With snmp I'd be worrying that someone on the local network may get
access to the database via some security hole.  Maybe I don't
sufficiently understand snmp, but the first thing I try to do is to turn
it off in printers, routers etc.  So hopefully it will not be integrated
into Informix.  As an optional module for those who like it, it's fine
of course.

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by Obnoxio The Clow » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I guess that I'm just insanely dumb and obtuse, but IDS.2000 on NT and Sun
Solaris IDS 7.31 have something called onsnmp, which, IIRC, allows
integration of Informix monitoring with SNMP. Maybe it's platform specific?

>even
> > >SNMP (in its various versions) has a reputation of being insecure.
>SNMP
> > >is also a bit old, so that support for it existed perhaps in the past,
> > >but I think the more modern approach would be to have a web interface
> > >that runs over SSL (secure socket layer) to monitor the database would
> > >be more logical than some ancient protocol like snmp.

> > Webinterfaces may be modern, but they suck. How do you get the data from
> > inside a program?

>You can download a file over https just as over ftp ... (with a command
>line utility).   This could be a file, a set of variables, that you'd
>get via snmp get-next-request otherwise.

> > With snmp no problem, but to parse the HTML-Output is
> > a pain in the arse...

>I'd much rather have an ssl or ssh interface to informix than snmp.
>With snmp I'd be worrying that someone on the local network may get
>access to the database via some security hole.  Maybe I don't
>sufficiently understand snmp, but the first thing I try to do is to turn
>it off in printers, routers etc.  So hopefully it will not be integrated
>into Informix.  As an optional module for those who like it, it's fine
>of course.

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by Paul Watso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The SNMP as provided with Informix is very flakey on Sun, especially
with Sun Net Mangler, there appears to be big inconsistencies
in the MIB database.

I don't know about don't exist, but mibs ship with 9.20 and AFAIR they
ship with 7.2x and 7.3x

--
Paul Watson             #
WF Software Ltd         # You are only young once

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by David Ste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I guess that I'm just insanely dumb and obtuse, but IDS.2000 on NT and Sun
> Solaris IDS 7.31 have something called onsnmp, which, IIRC, allows
> integration of Informix monitoring with SNMP. Maybe it's platform specific?

Ah, I'm just a simple c-isam/ Informix SE user (on Unixware,Openserver
and Linux).

Mmh.  I still think that such support in the IDS2000 for snmp is
controversial, whether it is truly a "feature" (compared to informix
SE).

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by Obnoxio The Clow » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I guess that I'm just insanely dumb and obtuse, but IDS.2000 on NT and
>Sun
> > Solaris IDS 7.31 have something called onsnmp, which, IIRC, allows
> > integration of Informix monitoring with SNMP. Maybe it's platform
>specific?

>Ah, I'm just a simple c-isam/ Informix SE user (on Unixware,Openserver
>and Linux).

Well, there's not much to monitor in that environment, is there? :-)

Quote:>Mmh.  I still think that such support in the IDS2000 for snmp is
>controversial, whether it is truly a "feature" (compared to informix
>SE).

Pass. You have to set it up, so you can enable security very simply -- by
not setting it up... :0)

SNMP Agent for Informix.

Post by David Ste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >Ah, I'm just a simple c-isam/ Informix SE user (on Unixware,Openserver
> >and Linux).

> Well, there's not much to monitor in that environment, is there? :-)

Which is a good thing, right.  Informix SE has low administration cost
:-)

The point was a bit that because the original poster said "Even an
outdated database as Progress has SNMP", that the remark is that SNMP
should not necessarily be regarded as a feature of the product.

Of course, if you really really want snmp, and if it's optional, then
that's fine.  There may be environments where the ease of use features
of snmp are more important than other considerations ...

1. SNMP-Agent for INFORMIX OnLine DS 7.x ?

Hi folks,
i'm searching for an snmp-agent for INFORMIX OnLine DS 7.1.
Any hints are wellcome.
Thanks in advance.
-

Martin Berns        |  Tel.:  +49 231 5599 231
Vosskuhle 37        |  FAX:   +49 231 5599 100
D-44141 Dortmund    |  X.400: S=BERNS;G=MARTIN;P=MATERNA;A=UMI-DE;C=DE

2. Prefixspan Algorithm C source?

3. Informix SNMP agent with Netscape master and proxy agents

4. Performing queries that exclude rows in a transaction

5. Setup SNMP Agent (snmp.ora)

6. 37368-TN-MEMPHIS-UNIX-Solaris-Kernel Programming-Scripting-Analysis Skills-SAP-C

7. Informix 7.3 SNMP agent for HP-UX 11

8. Saving DTS Packages to File with SQL-DMO

9. SNMP agents for SQL Server 7.0

10. HP NNM data collection on SQL SNMP agent

11. SNMP Agent

12. SQL SERVER 2000 SNMP AGENT PROBLEM

13. SNMP Extension Agent