database not found for non-owner using sesocpip

database not found for non-owner using sesocpip

Post by ja » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 02:24:17

Hi folks:

SE Informix v 7.23

sqlhosts file:
SOC     sesoctcp        43p             app_db_se
IPC     seipcpip        43p             sqlexec

/etc/services:
app_db_se   6000/tcp

sqlexed process:
root 12964     1   0 12:49:55  pts/3  0:00 /u/informix/lib/sqlexecd
SOC

User A owns the database and connects via sesocpip
(INFORMIXSERVER=SOC). All works well.

User B, who has been granted connect permission and can connect if
using seipcpip (INFORMIXSERVER=IPC). However, if using sesocpip
(INFORMIXSERVER=SOC), he recieves a "329: Database not found or no
system permission. 13: Permission denied.".
Note: this is all on the same machine.

Using dbaccess (as user B) and the connect options, if the owner user
name (user A) and password are supplied, connection is allowed.

any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

thanks in advance
jay

database not found for non-owner using sesocpip

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 02:36:59

The database directory is not in the local directory in which the
sqlexecd was started nor in its DBPATH environment var.  Start sqlexecd
from the correct parent directory or set its DBPATH before starting it up.

Art S. Kagel

Post by ja » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:56:53

> The database directory is not in the local directory in which the
> sqlexecd was started nor in its DBPATH environment var.  Start sqlexecd
> from the correct parent directory or set its DBPATH before starting it up.

> Art S. Kagel

> > Hi folks:

> > SE Informix v 7.23

> > sqlhosts file:
> > SOC     sesoctcp        43p             app_db_se
> > IPC     seipcpip        43p             sqlexec

> > /etc/services:
> > app_db_se   6000/tcp

> > sqlexed process:
> > root 12964     1   0 12:49:55  pts/3  0:00 /u/informix/lib/sqlexecd
> > SOC

> > User A owns the database and connects via sesocpip
> > (INFORMIXSERVER=SOC). All works well.

> > User B, who has been granted connect permission and can connect if
> > using seipcpip (INFORMIXSERVER=IPC). However, if using sesocpip
> > (INFORMIXSERVER=SOC), he recieves a "329: Database not found or no
> > system permission. 13: Permission denied.".
> > Note: this is all on the same machine.

> > Using dbaccess (as user B) and the connect options, if the owner user
> > name (user A) and password are supplied, connection is allowed.

> > any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

> > thanks in advance
> > jay

DBPATH was already set correctly. The problem (now resolved) had to do
with directory permissions in the path leading to the database. Needed
to add execute permissions for 'others'.

Thanks anyway.

jay

1. A database owner is not reconized as a database owner

Hi there,

I am very puzzled with the following behaviour.  Just wonder if you have
experienced the same and have a fix for it.

I understand that only a database owner (i.e. dbo) can restore a database.
So what I have done is to change the owner by using

use <databasename>
go
sp_changedbowner '<domain>/<username>'

And when I have confirmed that the NT login '<domain>/<username>' is now a
database owner by using

use <databasename>
go
sp_helpusers

However, when the user '<domain>/username>' try to restore the database,
SQL reports the following error:

"Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState:42000)
Only members of the sysadmn role or the database owner of '<databasename>'
can run RESTORE DATABASE.  Backup or restore operation terminating
abnormally."

But I am in fact the user is in fact a database owner.

However, if the database owner is set to a SQL standard login, I don't have
the above problem.  How can I get rid of the error when an NT login is a
database owner.

Thanks for your help in advance.

ChingTai

2. SQL Server CE - Creating a database

3. Find Queries Not Using Indexes and Indexes Not Being Used

4. Building queries dynamically

5. Q How to find owner using tablespace temp

6. Statistics current amount active sessions

7. SP2 blues: owner object not seen by owner unless fully qualified

8. Shrinking the Transaction Log

9. non clustered leaf row not found

10. Find non aplha/non numeric char

11. SA is not owner of database need to change

12. Finding non-duplicating values in two identical databases