Temp dbspaces in RAM

Post by ye.. » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:49:29

In our system we have usually over 1 GB free physical memory of 8GB. I
am trying a use that amount of RAM as a temp dbspaces. However, I don't
know how to do it. Did anyone use such of temp dbspaces.

System Configuration :
Sun Solaris 2.6
IDS 7.31 UC5

Please give me a feedback.

Regards,

Yener KILIC

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Temp dbspaces in RAM

Post by Andrew Ham » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:38:17

>In our system we have usually over 1 GB free physical memory of 8GB. I
>am trying a use that amount of RAM as a temp dbspaces. However, I don't
>know how to do it. Did anyone use such of temp dbspaces.

If solaris supports RAM disks then perhaps you could do it easily. But as
for directly nominating an area of RAM specifically for temp table use with
Online, not that I've ever heard! Allocating more buffers would be the
closest you could get.

Temp dbspaces in RAM

Post by Stefan Weidenede » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:09:43

Hi,

as long as Informix can handle the memory
it is faster to spend the memory for
the virtual SHM-segment.
I made several tests with RAM-disks
and the DS_TOTAL_MEMORY parameter. It's
better to use DS_TOTAL_MEMORY and PDQPRIORITY.
But if your servers' process space has
reached the limit, you must use RAM-disks
instead ( or use the 64-bit Informix version ).

Informix allocates and deallocates Extents
even on temporary dbspaces. It's a kind of
double caching and therefore it must be slower
than the virtual DS-memory. Additionally
to avoid errors during the startup of your
IDS you should recreate the RAM-disks
and restore the first 53 Pages on the RAM-disks
before you startup the Informix server.

Regards
--
Stefan Weideneder

Phone: +49 89/3565478-2 ---------------
--- Fax: +49 89/3565478-3 -------------
------ mailto:/stefan at weideneder.de ---
-------- http://www.weideneder.de -----

Temp dbspaces in RAM

Post by Watson, Pau » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:25:59

Quote:> Hi,

> as long as Informix can handle the memory
> it is faster to spend the memory for
> the virtual SHM-segment.
> I made several tests with RAM-disks
> and the DS_TOTAL_MEMORY parameter. It's
> better to use DS_TOTAL_MEMORY and PDQPRIORITY.
> But if your servers' process space has
> reached the limit, you must use RAM-disks
> instead ( or use the 64-bit Informix version ).

> Informix allocates and deallocates Extents
> even on temporary dbspaces. It's a kind of
> double caching and therefore it must be slower
> than the virtual DS-memory. Additionally
> to avoid errors during the startup of your
> IDS you should recreate the RAM-disks
> and restore the first 53 Pages on the RAM-disks
> before you startup the Informix server.

Alternatively used  NVRAM for the temp dbspaces.  I found
the speed increased not to be worth the hassle and the 'cos
the system I was on the dbspaces had to be cooked.

Paul Watson                   #
WF Software Ltd               # All answers are
+44 1435 674629               # pure fantasy
+44 1436 678693               #
www.wfsoftware.com/informix   #

1. temp table in temp dbspace

Hello,

I have a little question about tables/temp tables in a temp dbspace.

Is it possible to create a table (without logging) in a temp dbspace,
wich can be viewed from anohter session?

Thanks, Volker

--
Volker Fraenkle                         CS Controlling
Technical Consultant                    Software Systeme GmbH

Phone:  +49 7144 8144-0                 Riedbachstrasse 5
Fax:    +49 7144 8144-10                D-74385 Pleidelsheim

2. Informatik'96: Gemeinsame Jahrestagung der GI und OCG

3. Temp tables in RAM?

4. Btrieve on NT-workstation with novell client

5. REMOVE TEMP DB FROM RAM HOW TO

6. 4th Annual DataBase Solutions Workshop

7. Temp Tables/DBSpaces

8. Many thanks to all

9. HDR and Temp dbspaces

10. onstat -D, temp dbspaces, spreading load

11. Multiple Temp Dbspaces

12. Disabled Temp DBspace

13. temp tables in root dbspace despite DBSPACETEMP setting