Informix 64 bits versus 32 bits

Post by patricia.. » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 07:13:44

Is it worth it upgrading Informix from a 32-bits platform to a 64-bits
one? I am migrating my Informix version 7.31 to another server, which is
64 bits, and I was wondering if I would have any significant performance
improvement on doing it.

- Paty

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Informix 64 bits versus 32 bits

Post by Madison Prue » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 11:07:59

The biggest advantage of the 64-bit engine is that 64bit supports a much
larger memory addressability.  This can be an advantage if you need to
increase your memory footprint.  There can be a performance advantage in
doing that because you can increase the inmemory buffers and increase your
dictionary cache to load all tables.  (See previous thread)

However, unless you are ready to increase the physical memory in you system,
this will not be an advantage.  It does little good to increase the
addressable memory space if it resides on the swap/paging file.

Another thing to understand.  The 64-bit versions WILL require more memory
to run even if you do not configure for an increase.  Why? Well pointers in
a 64-bit system are twice as large as in a 32-bit system.  This is somthing
that a lot of folks forget about and are suprised with.  So if you plan on
moving to a 64-bit system and are currently a bit tight on memory, be
prepared to make a quick trip to Fry's (or your favorite computer supplier)
for some more memory.  To my way of thinking, this is a rather small price
to pay for advantages of increased addressability.

Of course, eventually everything will be 64-bit only.  I suspect that the
days of the 32-bit standard are starting to wane a bit, just as the 16-bit
standard (and 8-bit) did a few years ago.  (Anyone remember the 8086
days???)

> Is it worth it upgrading Informix from a 32-bits platform to a 64-bits
> one? I am migrating my Informix version 7.31 to another server, which is
> 64 bits, and I was wondering if I would have any significant performance
> improvement on doing it.

> - Paty

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Informix 64 bits versus 32 bits

Post by Obnoxio The Clow » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 20:17:17

Quote:

>Is it worth it upgrading Informix from a 32-bits platform to a 64-bits
>one? I am migrating my Informix version 7.31 to another server, which is
>64 bits, and I was wondering if I would have any significant performance
>improvement on doing it.

Only if you're running out of addressable memory. Mind you, the 64-bit port
on HP seems to have fewer quirks than the 32-bit ones.

http://profiles.msn.com.

Informix 64 bits versus 32 bits

Post by Surfer » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 18:42:46

I suspect that simply by upgrading to new kit you will get a performance
improvement!

writes

--
Surfer!

Informix 64 bits versus 32 bits

Post by patricia.. » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 04:54:26

This is a late response:

Thank you for your answer guys. I was out on a business trip but I found
out that my application would not support a 64 bit platform, therefore,
forget the 64-bit idea. I will keep your information for later on.
Thanks again !

> I suspect that simply by upgrading to new kit you will get a
performance
> improvement!

> writes
> >The biggest advantage of the 64-bit engine is that 64bit supports a
much
> >larger memory addressability.  This can be an advantage if you need
> >increase your memory footprint.  There can be a performance advantage
in
> >doing that because you can increase the inmemory buffers and increase
your
> >dictionary cache to load all tables.  (See previous thread)

> >However, unless you are ready to increase the physical memory in you
system,
> >this will not be an advantage.  It does little good to increase the
> >addressable memory space if it resides on the swap/paging file.

> >Another thing to understand.  The 64-bit versions WILL require more
memory
> >to run even if you do not configure for an increase.  Why? Well
pointers in
> >a 64-bit system are twice as large as in a 32-bit system.  This is
somthing
> >that a lot of folks forget about and are suprised with.  So if you
plan on
> >moving to a 64-bit system and are currently a bit tight on memory, be
> >prepared to make a quick trip to Fry's (or your favorite computer
supplier)
> >for some more memory.  To my way of thinking, this is a rather small
price
> >to pay for advantages of increased addressability.

> >Of course, eventually everything will be 64-bit only.  I suspect that
the
> >days of the 32-bit standard are starting to wane a bit, just as the
16-bit
> >standard (and 8-bit) did a few years ago.  (Anyone remember the 8086
> >days???)

> >> Is it worth it upgrading Informix from a 32-bits platform to a
64-bits
> >> one? I am migrating my Informix version 7.31 to another server,
which is
> >> 64 bits, and I was wondering if I would have any significant
performance
> >> improvement on doing it.

> >> - Paty

> >> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >> Before you buy.

> --
> Surfer!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Informix 64 bits versus 32 bits

Post by Doug Agne » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 22:48:49

Unless the application is running on the same box as the database server,
the fact that the app does not support 64-bit for itself should not deter
you from pursuing the 64-bit implementation of Informix.  Even on a 64-bit
platform, a 32-bit application can still communicate with 64-bit Informix
using TCP rather than shared memory.

Doug

> This is a late response:

> Thank you for your answer guys. I was out on a business trip but I found
> out that my application would not support a 64 bit platform, therefore,
> forget the 64-bit idea. I will keep your information for later on.
> Thanks again !

> > I suspect that simply by upgrading to new kit you will get a
> performance
> > improvement!

> > writes
> > >The biggest advantage of the 64-bit engine is that 64bit supports a
> much
> > >larger memory addressability.  This can be an advantage if you need
> > >increase your memory footprint.  There can be a performance advantage
> in
> > >doing that because you can increase the inmemory buffers and increase
> your
> > >dictionary cache to load all tables.  (See previous thread)

> > >However, unless you are ready to increase the physical memory in you
> system,
> > >this will not be an advantage.  It does little good to increase the
> > >addressable memory space if it resides on the swap/paging file.

> > >Another thing to understand.  The 64-bit versions WILL require more
> memory
> > >to run even if you do not configure for an increase.  Why? Well
> pointers in
> > >a 64-bit system are twice as large as in a 32-bit system.  This is
> somthing
> > >that a lot of folks forget about and are suprised with.  So if you
> plan on
> > >moving to a 64-bit system and are currently a bit tight on memory, be
> > >prepared to make a quick trip to Fry's (or your favorite computer
> supplier)
> > >for some more memory.  To my way of thinking, this is a rather small
> price
> > >to pay for advantages of increased addressability.

> > >Of course, eventually everything will be 64-bit only.  I suspect that
> the
> > >days of the 32-bit standard are starting to wane a bit, just as the
> 16-bit
> > >standard (and 8-bit) did a few years ago.  (Anyone remember the 8086
> > >days???)

> 64-bits
> which is
> performance

> > --
> > Surfer!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. how to find whether informix 32 bits or 64 bits

Hi

How can I find whether my informix ver. is 32 bits or 64bits ? I searched
release note, but nowhere it has mentioned. Our informix is ver. 7.24UC3.

Kindly reply

Thanks in Advance....................
Rajesh Kokane
IGSI

2. Join question

3. Informix 32 bits or 64 bits??

4. Clustered indexes

5. transactional replication

6. Upgrading from 8.1.5 32 bits to 8.1.6 64 bits

7. Executine

8. Migrating from 32-bits to 64-bits

9. converting 32 to 64 bits oracle hpux 11

10. DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

11. C++ builder / intrabuilder / ODBC 32 bits / ODBC 16 bits

12. 16 bits and 32 bits application