I-STAR, OnLine 5.10 & ODBC Question

Post by Colin McGrat » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

A client wants to get an ODBC product running with their OnLine 5.10 engine.
They have been told they will need to purchase I-STAR in order to do that.
I had thought Informix-STAR was needed only when it was desired to work
simultaneously with multiple instances of a database.  A search on Informix-STAR,
I-STAR, and STAR from the Informix home page returned no useful info
(except that it entered Category 4 on 6/30/99! and that if I'm installing
Informix-Enterprise Gateway, I need to install I-STAR first!).

I-STAR, OnLine 5.10 & ODBC Question

Post by Obnoxio The Clow » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>A client wants to get an ODBC product running with their OnLine 5.10
>engine.
>They have been told they will need to purchase I-STAR in order to do that.
>I had thought Informix-STAR was needed only when it was desired to work
>simultaneously with multiple instances of a database.  A search on
>Informix-STAR,
>I-STAR, and STAR from the Informix home page returned no useful info
>(except that it entered Category 4 on 6/30/99! and that if I'm installing
>Informix-Enterprise Gateway, I need to install I-STAR first!).

That's good to know, isn't it? :-)

You will need I-Star for most ODBC drivers, except for OpenLink who have
their own middle tier.  There might be another, I don't remember.

HTH.

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"The one with the smartest marketing department wins"

I-STAR, OnLine 5.10 & ODBC Question

Post by esi.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Colin

As Obnoxio, stated, you can download the middle-tier product from
Openlink that does not require that you have I-Star to connect. It uses
a database agent that has been linked directly against the Informix
Database therevy negating th eneed for the Informix client.

You can download a free eval version from www.openlinksw.com

HTH

> >A client wants to get an ODBC product running with their OnLine 5.10
> >engine.
> >They have been told they will need to purchase I-STAR in order to do
that.
> >I had thought Informix-STAR was needed only when it was desired to
work
> >simultaneously with multiple instances of a database.  A search on
> >Informix-STAR,
> >I-STAR, and STAR from the Informix home page returned no useful info
> >(except that it entered Category 4 on 6/30/99! and that if I'm
installing
> >Informix-Enterprise Gateway, I need to install I-STAR first!).

> That's good to know, isn't it? :-)

> You will need I-Star for most ODBC drivers, except for OpenLink who
have
> their own middle tier.  There might be another, I don't remember.

> HTH.

> --
> Bye now,
> Obnoxio

> "The one with the smartest marketing department wins"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. OnLine 5.10 w/CSDK & ESQL 5.10

A while back I asked about running D4GL with OnLine 5.10 and CSDK.
Art and Jonathan pointed out that I-STAR would be needed with that
mix of products when the ESQL/C version is above 5.10.

But Jonathan also wrote that:

Has anyone succeeded with this technique?  Any ideas how I'd go about it?

--

Washington Group International, Inc.         (215) 422-4144
Philadelphia, PA, USA

2. Dynamic SQL vs. ESQL/C

3. Fail Consistency Check AIX & Informix Online 5.10

4. DTS Buffer size problem

5. D4GL 3.0 & OnLine 5.10

6. RTRIM on : select * mytable

7. online 5.10 locks & alter table

8. Need to see if I can get a smallint to go from 0 to 64000 and not -32000 to 32000

9. Assert Failure on I-Star from 7.31 to 5.10

10. Online 5.10 and JDBC connectivity problems

11. VB and Online 5.10

12. How does remote client connect to 5.10 online server