ESQL/C problems

Post by mltsa!ltay.. » Wed, 19 Jan 1994 01:18:03

I understand you might be able to help me with an Informix problem:

Problem is:

I am using esql/c v 5.01 on HP-UX 9.01 and wish to compile using
HP's C++ compiler "CC" (version A.03.20) which can compile standard
ANSI C files.

However I cannot compile the esql output .c file because of many
unresloved typechecks i.e. undefined functions &
inaccurate function prototypes ( not ANSI compatible !) - the
compiler is very unforgiving and will not allow you to let
these go!

Is there any way around this - and is it really a non-compliance
on the Informix software ?

If you can help please contact:

Lee W Taylor
Senior Software Engineer
AT&T Network Systems UK
Swindon Road
Malmesbury
Wilts
ENGLAND
SN16 9NA

Voice   : +44 666 832602

UUCP    : {...att...}!mlgtw!mltsa!ltaylor

Thanks for listening,
                     Lee

ESQL/C problems

Post by Jonathan Leffl » Wed, 19 Jan 1994 02:28:05

>Date: Mon, 17 Jan 94 15:29:33 GMT

>Subject: ESQL/C problems
>I am using esql/c v 5.01 on HP-UX 9.01 and wish to compile using HP's C++
>compiler "CC" (version A.03.20) which can compile standard ANSI C files.
>However I cannot compile the esql output .c file because of many
>unresolved typechecks i.e. undefined functions & inaccurate function
>prototypes (not ANSI compatible!) - the compiler is very unforgiving and
>will not allow you to let these go!

In which case, the compiler does not accept ANSI C, because ANSI C does
*NOT* require prototypes for functions as it accepts K&R C without
complaint.  C++, of course, requires ALL functions without exception to be
prototyped, but ANSI C does not.

However, you are correct in saying that:
(a) Informix does not provide ANSI C function prototypes
(b) Some of the code emitted by ESQL/C plays fast and loose with using
        (char *)0 as a dummy argument where (struct something *)0 is required.

Quote:>Is there any way around this - and is it really a non-compliance
>on the Informix software ?

The closest I can get you is the set of ESQL/C headers with prototypes
which have been distributed to informix-list in the past (and are therefore
available from the FTP archive at rmy.emory.edu).  These provide the
correct function prototypes, but cannot do anything about fixing the
erroneous casts which are apt to throw the compiler into fits.  The best I
can suggest is to post-process the .c file and deal with the casts using a
sed script.  The good news is that the calls are stereotyped and it can
therefore be done without much difficulty using any of sed, awk or perl
(take your pick).

It depends on your point of view as to whether this is non-compliance by
Informix.  Point (a) is not required by ANSI C.  Point (b) is highly
suspect.  To the best of my knowlege, we have never claimed that ESQL/C
code is acceptable to C++ compilers.

Yours,

ESQL/C problems

Post by Walt Hultgren {rm » Thu, 20 Jan 1994 00:34:35

Typo alert:

Quote:(Jonathan Leffler) writes:

>The closest I can get you is the set of ESQL/C headers with prototypes
>which have been distributed to informix-list in the past (and are therefore
>available from the FTP archive at rmy.emory.edu).

                                   ^^^

Almost.  The FTP archive is actually at mathcs.emory.edu (IP 128.140.2.1).

Walt.

--

Emory University               UUCP: {...,gatech,rutgers,uunet}!emory!rmy!walt

Atlanta, GA  30329  USA       Voice: +1 404 727 0648

1. ESQL problem...anyone else having problems with ESQL?

Hi all,

The ESQL C-precompiler, nsqlprep, is giving me "undefined host variable"
problems for certain nested C structures. I found a MS knowledge base
article that confirmed this to be a bug, but the "solution" it offers is not
very helpful. Does anyone know if there is an available fix or how to get
arround this problem?

Unfortunately, there are thousands of lines of code that I'm porting, so
it's very
hard to modify the code and the structures are used a lot in the code.

I wonder if MS even wants anyone to use ESQL anymore.

Using/developing for MS SQL Server 7.0

Thanks in advance,
DM

2. export a DBF

3. Esql 4.1 update to esql 7.3 any problem ?

4. disable ^C

5. Problem with Delphi3 CS and Sybase 11 - HELP please

6. D3/Linux file restore problem

7. Delphi 2.0 CS Update & BLOB Problem

8. Show Database in FlexGrid ???

9. D2, IB-cs application problem

10. Delphi 4 CS and Oracle 8 problem.

11. problem: .NET Data Provider for Oracle and OracleHelper.cs

12. ESQL 5.02 vs. ESQL 7.2

13. Compatiblity ESQL/COBOL & ESQL/C