Serious problems with ONPARAMS

Post by heikk.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,

Would anybody have an idea why certain ONPARAMS commands
do not behave the way they should? This problem has already
made me sleepless at nights... =(

I need to add some new logical logfiles and I would like
they size to be 1000 kb instead of 250 kb.

To do this, I used the following command:
"onparams -a -d logspace -s 1000".

Db tells me that "logical log successfully added" but when I
take a look at logfiles with "onstat -l"
the size of the newly added file is 250 kb!!!!
It seems that ONPARAMS completely ignores the value of
"-s" parameter.

In addition, the LOGSIZE parameter in my ONCONFIG file
is set 1000 kb, so ONPARAMS should default to
this size even if I didn't use "-s" parameter!!!!

This is a real problem, because I need much logspace and
I wouldn't like to have five million 250 kb files. For your
info, I have IDS 7.24 and I run it on HP-UX 10.20.

Thank your very much for your time. I would greatly appreciate
any comments.

Best Regards

Katja Heikkinen
Abacus Solutions Inc
Finland

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi all,

> Would anybody have an idea why certain ONPARAMS commands
> do not behave the way they should? This problem has already
> made me sleepless at nights... =(

> I need to add some new logical logfiles and I would like
> they size to be 1000 kb instead of 250 kb.
> To do this, I used the following command:
> "onparams -a -d logspace -s 1000".

> Db tells me that "logical log successfully added" but when I
> take a look at logfiles with "onstat -l"
> the size of the newly added file is 250 kb!!!!
> It seems that ONPARAMS completely ignores the value of
> "-s" parameter.

Keep in mind that the onparams command requires the logsize in KB, as you
have provided it, indeed.  However, the onstat command reports logical log
size in PAGES.  This would indicate a pagesize of 4K on your system and your
logical logs are indeed ~1MB (1000KB) or 250 pages in size.  Just try
another size (like 2000K or 4000K) and see what happens.

Quote:> In addition, the LOGSIZE parameter in my ONCONFIG file
> is set 1000 kb, so ONPARAMS should default to
> this size even if I didn't use "-s" parameter!!!!

> This is a real problem, because I need much logspace and
> I wouldn't like to have five million 250 kb files. For your
> info, I have IDS 7.24 and I run it on HP-UX 10.20.

Odd though I thought that IDS on HPUX was a 2K pagesize system.....

Quote:> Thank your very much for your time. I would greatly appreciate
> any comments.

Art S. Kagel

Serious problems with ONPARAMS

Post by Madison Prue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm guessing that you are on either NT, AIX, or Sequent.

onstat -l displays the number of pages in the log file. If onstat -l is
displaying 250 pages after you had done onmode -a -s 1000, then you use
4K pages.

No problem.

Get some sleep.... ;-)

--
Madison Pruet

Enterprise Replication Product Developement
Dallas, Texas
Informix Software

Serious problems with ONPARAMS

Post by heikk.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thank you very, very much!!!!

It was quite an obvious solution, but I simply didn't come
to think of it. I just told about this to my colleagues and
you bet they were laughing at me. =0)

Best Regards

Katja

ps. Yes, HP-UX page size is still 2kb - there was another
misunderstanding that explained "another half".

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Serious problems with ONPARAMS

Post by heikk.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thank you very, very much!!!!

It was quite an obvious solution, but I simply didn't come
to think of it. I just told about this to my colleagues and
you bet they were laughing at me. =0)

Best Regards

Katja

ps. Yes, HP-UX page size is still 2kb - there was another
misunderstanding that explained "another half".

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Serious bug or serious misunderstanding

Using SQL Server 2000 Standard.

The following code prints false as would be expected.

if 'EB90167C-49CD-4827-8564-E2C9A3531C66'
between '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000' and
        'dfffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff'
print 'True'
else
print 'False'

However, if the UID 'EB90167C-49CD-4827-8564-E2C9A3531C66' is in
sometable and the following select is executed, the rows returned will
include the above UID:

select * from sometable
  where SomeID between '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000' and
                        'dfffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff'

This seems to me to be a glaring problem.  At the very least I would
expect consistent behavior of comparison operators throughout the
product.

I am trying to create a distributed partition view using a
uniqueidentifier partitioning column.  Doing so is not explicitly
prohibited according to the documentation, but if the required check
constraints cannot be written using either 'between' or '>' and '<' in
a consistent way then wtf?

Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Excel as ADO; returning null occasionally on numeric columns

3. ONPARAMS on NT

4. MDAC 2.5

5. Copying Tables - very serious problem

6. How do I register MSADODC.OCX

7. Query problem - serious performance issues. PLEASE HELP

8. Overflow pages

9. Serious problem!!!!!

10. 6.5 Enterprise Manager -- serious problem....

11. Serious SQL / NT problems

12. Serious DTS problem in Export of objects and data

13. Serious date problems..