Remote access to Informix

Post by Terry Moffi » Sat, 05 Mar 1994 04:44:00

Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there a way of remotely accessing
an Informix database in the same way that you can set up the TWO_TASK
variable in ORACLE.

Basically what we have are 2 SUN workstations :

Machine A has Informix database on it.
Machine B wants to access the database.

Applications MUST run on machine B and use very little CPU time on machine A.

I know that if we used ORACLE, then we could just set the TWO_TASK variable
to point to the remote host.  However, we must use Informix.

Any ideas ?

             Terry Moffitt - BT Belfast Engineering Centre

All opinions expressed are my own.

Remote access to Informix

Post by Alan Popi » Wed, 09 Mar 1994 02:13:04

->Subject: Remote access to Informix
->Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 19:44:00 GMT

->
->----------------------------------------------------------------------------
->             Terry Moffitt - BT Belfast Engineering Centre

->
->All opinions expressed are my own.
->----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry,

Informix offers full client/server functionality, in which applications
running on machine B access the database (and engine) running on machine
A by means of connectivity software named I-Net or I-Star, depending on
the version database engine.  Something like this:

machine A                               machine B
================================        ====================================
engine                  connect.        connect.        application
------                  --------        --------        -----------
Informix OnLine         I-Star          I-Star**        see below*
Informix SE             I-Net           I-Net           see below*
(Standard Engine)

Standard Engine is designed for small to moderately large databases and
provides good performance with virtually no DBA attention.  OnLine is
designed for large databases, for which it can give better performance;
however, it requires a lot of "care and feeding" by a DBA.

*Applications can be written in C, using embedded SQL, or in Informix's
4GL, which includes SQL.  Each engine supports a small number of extensions
that are not supported by the other engine; most important of these (IMHO)
are blobs, which are supported only by OnLine.  If your application sticks
to the common data types, it can run without recompile against either engine.

**I think that a client can use I-Net to connect to a server using OnLine
and I-Star, but I am not sure about that.  The API calls from the applica-
tion to I-Net and I-Star are identical.  Use of the I-Net / I-Star is auto-
matic in 4GL, which I have used extensively;  there may be explicit calls
in ESQL/C, which I have not used.

I hope this info helps.
Regards,
Alan                   ___________________________
______________________| R. Alan Popiel            |__________________________
\  Internet:          | Martin Marietta, SLS      |                         /

  )Voice:             | Denver, CO 80201-0179 USA |                       (
 /   303-977-9998     |___________________________|  (But you knew that!)  \
/________________________)                     (____________________________\

Remote access to Informix

Post by Paul Thomas Mahon » Wed, 09 Mar 1994 15:30:13

: <STUFF DELETED>
: **I think that a client can use I-Net to connect to a server using OnLine
: and I-Star, but I am not sure about that.  The API calls from the applica-
: tion to I-Net and I-Star are identical.  Use of the I-Net / I-Star is auto-
: matic in 4GL, which I have used extensively;  there may be explicit calls
: in ESQL/C, which I have not used.
: <STUFF DELETED>
A client can use I-Net to connect to an OnLine engine. However, you must have
I-Star runing on a server with OnLine.

Use of I-Net/I-Star is completely transparent with ESQL/C.

--
Paul Mahoney, X-Act Solutions Limited
smail: Owlsmead, Meads Road, Little Common, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex TN39 4SY

phone: +44 424 846368