Difference between Workgroup server and Dynamic server

Difference between Workgroup server and Dynamic server

Post by Noel Griffi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

IDS (formerly DSA) and OWGS are virtually identical.  On systems with four
processors or less there is NO performance difference!!!  The differences
are as follows:

1. OWGS is limited to 4 CPU servers (who cares, tell me how many system you
known with >4 servers).
2. OWGS does not come with the 'onmonitor' command, instead it is
administered by a windows client admin tool.  Good Informix DBA's us the
'on' utilities which are common to both, so the lack on 'onmonitor' is
irrelivant.
3. OWGS does not support Server Replication (rarely needed except is mission
critical apps).
4. OWGS does not support table partitioning accross drives (fragmentation).
This feature is redundant except for very large databases.  All versions of
online allow you to create a dbspace with chunks on many drives anyway.
5. OWGS has limited PDQ (Parrallel Data Query).  But this feature is not
configured on most informix sites, as their applications are transaction
intensive, usually using primary/foriegn keys to access rows in queries.
PDQ is only activated for wide Decision Support Queries that will scan
entire tables, or very large portions of tables.
6. OWGS can not have the UNIVERSAL server option added.  This is due to a
licensing policy, and is not because of any technical limitation.  UNIVERSAL
server option is required if you need any of Informix's OO datablade
options, such as the built in text retrieval, or spatial analysis.  Most
traditional Client/Server apps which are OLTP do not require datablades.
7. OWGS has exactly the same kernel as IDS.
8. OWGS costs 240 per user
9. IDS costs 1100 per user
10. IDS is more scaleable if you need it.  I.e. more that a 4 CPU SMP
Server, need PDQ for huge DSS queries and hardware platforms with many hard
disk drives (>6), or you need to upgrade to the IDS/Universal Server for
object relational technology with built in datablade technology.

For most typical servers (i.e. 6 SCSI hard disks, 2-4 CPU's), with between
10 and 100 users, both products can be considered identical.  OWGS has been
used successfully with databases upto 20gb.

Regards
NOEL M GRIFFIN
(Informix GYRU)

Difference between Workgroup server and Dynamic server

Post by Mario Estrad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Noel,

You forgot to mention that starting from version7.3, OWS will
have the Replication Feature Included.

Regards,

Mario Estrada

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> IDS (formerly DSA) and OWGS are virtually identical.  On systems with four
> processors or less there is NO performance difference!!!  The differences
> are as follows:

> 1. OWGS is limited to 4 CPU servers (who cares, tell me how many system you
> known with >4 servers).

Actually I have 16 DG/Aviion servers running IDS 7.24 with 32 M88100
CPUs and 2 Sun E6000 running IDS 7.30 with 30 UltraSparc 330 CPUs.  I
certainly hope EVERYONE else who uses multiple CPUs chimes in to give
Noel a view of the real world.  Noel I have to support 100,000 users
and databases that exceed 150GB and are still growing.  You just cannot
do that with 4 CPUs, sorry.

Art S. Kagel

Difference between Workgroup server and Dynamic server

Post by Nils Myklebu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:17:17 -0400, "Art S. Kagel"

>> IDS (formerly DSA) and OWGS are virtually identical.  On systems with four
>> processors or less there is NO performance difference!!!  The differences
>> are as follows:

>> 1. OWGS is limited to 4 CPU servers (who cares, tell me how many system you
>> known with >4 servers).

>Actually I have 16 DG/Aviion servers running IDS 7.24 with 32 M88100
>CPUs and 2 Sun E6000 running IDS 7.30 with 30 UltraSparc 330 CPUs.  I
>certainly hope EVERYONE else who uses multiple CPUs chimes in to give
>Noel a view of the real world.  Noel I have to support 100,000 users
>and databases that exceed 150GB and are still growing.  You just cannot
>do that with 4 CPUs, sorry.

>Art S. Kagel

I haven't used more than 1 CPU so far, but I'll still chime in and do
anything I can to tell him that more than 4 CPUs is realy important
for a lot of Informix customers right now.
In another year or two such machines will probably become so cheap
that a lot more users will find them invaluable as their database
needs grow.
However it's also extremely important that Informix keeps making a
lower priced medium size server available.

>IDS (formerly DSA) and OWGS

Now IDS/WGE (Work Group Edition)

Quote:> are virtually identical.  On systems with four
>processors or less there is NO performance difference!!!  The differences
>are as follows:

>1. OWGS is limited to 4 CPU servers (who cares, tell me how many system you
>known with >4 servers).

I care, see above.

Quote:>2. OWGS does not come with the 'onmonitor' command, instead it is
>administered by a windows client admin tool.  Good Informix DBA's us the
>'on' utilities which are common to both, so the lack on 'onmonitor' is
>irrelivant.

False. Good DBAs do everything they can in as simple and fast way as
possible. Sometimes that's via forms based programs like onmonitor.
This is particularly true if you have well tuned and set up systems so
you need to do the kind of things onmonitor is created for quite
seldom. Remembering command names and options becomes foolish then.
Some things you do often are also much better suited to forms based
usage.

Quote:>3. OWGS does not support Server Replication (rarely needed except is mission
>critical apps).

If you don't run mission critical applications I am not so sure you
need IDS at all.
Replication is usefull for other than a backup copy of your database
on another machine. One example may be replication from a branch
office (say a store) to the head office for any number of purposes.
It's claimed to be available in 7.3 IDS/WGE though.

Quote:>4. OWGS does not support table partitioning accross drives (fragmentation).
>This feature is redundant except for very large databases.  All versions of
>online allow you to create a dbspace with chunks on many drives anyway.

Almost a requirement to simplify reorganisation of a database. (See
many posts lately on how it's done.)
Alternative is export/import (or unload/load) which is complex and
time consuming.
With low cost drives it is however also usefull for an increasing
number of applications. Another disk and possibly CPU to take
advantage of it doesn't cost much.

Quote:>5. OWGS has limited PDQ (Parrallel Data Query).  But this feature is not
>configured on most informix sites, as their applications are transaction
>intensive, usually using primary/foriegn keys to access rows in queries.
>PDQ is only activated for wide Decision Support Queries that will scan
>entire tables, or very large portions of tables.

DSS type databases of smaller sizes is growing significantly in
number. Not only are large organizations setting up data marts, but
smaller organizations are rapidly seeing the advantage of DSS
databases.

Quote:>6. OWGS can not have the UNIVERSAL server option added.  This is due to a
>licensing policy, and is not because of any technical limitation.  UNIVERSAL
>server option is required if you need any of Informix's OO datablade
>options, such as the built in text retrieval, or spatial analysis.  Most
>traditional Client/Server apps which are OLTP do not require datablades.

This is most unfortunate, and something I hope they will change.
Most OLTP applications can take significant advantage of many of the
Universal Data Option features. Even datablades would be usefull in
many cases, but there are a pletora of other functionality we sure
would want. We just can't afford the price right now.

Quote:>7. OWGS has exactly the same kernel as IDS.
>8. OWGS costs 240 per user
>9. IDS costs 1100 per user
>10. IDS is more scaleable if you need it.  I.e. more that a 4 CPU SMP
>Server, need PDQ for huge DSS queries and hardware platforms with many hard
>disk drives (>6), or you need to upgrade to the IDS/Universal Server for
>object relational technology with built in datablade technology.

>For most typical servers (i.e. 6 SCSI hard disks, 2-4 CPU's), with between
>10 and 100 users, both products can be considered identical.  OWGS has been
>used successfully with databases upto 20gb.

The database size itself doesn't realy matter. It's how it is used
that does.

I have only been critical to your evaluations of the features lacking
here. Not your factual description of what they are.

I think it's key to Informix that they have a medium sized server at a
lower price than the full IDS. The feature difference is fine and the
current IDS/WGE is fine for us and a very large number of other users.
However we mustn't forget that there is a large and growing number of
users that realy need the full featured IDS server.

Nils Myklebust
NM Data AS
Norway

FAQ at: http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/faq_top.html
(Now with ODBC info under "Third party products".)

Difference between Workgroup server and Dynamic server

Post by Rainer Schau » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

1.) maximum licence 32 to buy (marketing restriction)
2.) no replication
3.) no data blades
4.) no PDQ
5.) maximum 2 logical CPU (onconfig)
6.) no onmonitor programm (but all you can do with onparams/onspaces and so on)
i think fragmentation is possible.
but i prefer striping at the os with which i have very good expierence.

WS is so cheap because of some marketing-aspects.
Save the low end against other database-systems (microsoft sql-----)
and give the customer a relativ cheap possibilty the the nearly full IDS
functionality!
We tried at a customer installation WS and we and the customer are very happy!
200 MB SE export 1 hour.  Import at WS with indexes/foreign/primary keys 12
minutes!!!
We will nearly all our customer migrate from SE to WS!!!!!

Rainer

Post by WF Softwa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,

> Can some kind soul post the difference between the WGS and DS. Why is
> there is
> such a price difference amongst them.

> AFAIK, WGS has parallelism diasbled, so you can't take advantage of
> fragmentation to the best possible extent.

> Is WGS scalable ?

> TIA.

> Ravi Krishna.

Somebody posted a very good explaination the other day - you could get the
archives at www.iiug.org.

Paul Watson              # I don't suffer from
WF Software Ltd.         # stress, I'm just
Tel. (+44) 1436 674729   # a carrier
Fax. (+44) 1436 678693   #

Post by Snorri Bergman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I got information from c.d.i that it is 32. However the Informix sales person I
> spoke to claims that it is 100.

According to my books, there is no limit in # of users at all. It is
only limited to systems up to 4 Intel CPUs or 2 RISC CPUs.

Quote:> Question: By license restriction, I presume it will be concurrent connections.
> Am I right ?

You are indeed.

TTFN,
-Snorri
--

Strengur Consulting Engineers  | WWW:        http://www.strengur.is/
Armuli 7                       | Phone:      +354 550 9000 (9007 direct)

1. Differences between Online for Workgroups and Online Dynamic Server

Hello Informix gurus,

I am new to Informix and its new range of online products. Currently, we
are using Informix Online Dynamic Server for Unix (on Solaris 2.5). Due
to costs, Informix sales department has recommended that we start using
Informix Online for Workgroups instead. So we bought a copy of Online
for Workgroups (for Unix server) and bang our applications don't run on
it straight off. Our main problem is that the dynamic library are
different. The main files are $INFORMIXDIR/lib/iasfs07a.lib (on the
Dynamic server) and $INFORMIXDIR/lib/iasfs07b.lib (on Workgroups). Has
anyone experienced this problem and how do we go about solving it. I
know Online for Workgroups is a new product so there does not seem to be
a lot of knowledge in the outside world about this problem. Could you
please email me directly for any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
David Tan

2. connect to a sql server thru proxy

3. Difference Between Workgroup Server and Server Products

4. NY, New York / D00620 Oracle DBA/Developer (2 needed) (RECRUITER)

5. Advantages of Dynamic Server 7 over Workgroup Server 7

6. Resume field

7. Difference between Server Engine and Workgroup Engine

8. Posting from the Informix-list

9. Difference between ENTERPRISE DB and Workgroup server

10. Informix Dynamic Server.2000 Workgroup Edition

11. OLE DB for Informix Dynamic Server 7.3 Workgroup Edition for NT

12. Use I4GL 4.0 with Dynamic Workgroup Server?