IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

Post by Colin Bul » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:01:06



Is ISQL a product that is only for use with 4GL as I am confused after
the latest announcements.

"...also launching 4GL and ISQL 7.32. These products are expected to
allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take full advantage of
the latest function-rich IDS 9.4 server release."

"....can buy or renew 4GL 7.32 and/or ISQL 7.32 licenses."

The bit I am most interested in is -
"allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take advantage of ..function-rich IDS 9.4 server release." How ?

So what is ISQL. ( I did a search on the IBM web site and clicked on ISQL and it took me to the
4GL page :-( )

Is this just marketing speak for upgrade and you can .....
Or can users of IDS 7.x really take advantage.

Apologies in advance for my ignorance and naievity and trust in marketing hype.

Colin Bull  

 
 
 

IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

Post by Mark D. Stoc » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:00:28



> Is ISQL a product that is only for use with 4GL as I am confused after
> the latest announcements.

No.

Quote:> "...also launching 4GL and ISQL 7.32. These products are expected to
> allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take full advantage of
> the latest function-rich IDS 9.4 server release."

> "....can buy or renew 4GL 7.32 and/or ISQL 7.32 licenses."

If it had said 4GL & ESQL/C, would you think they were the same product?

Quote:> The bit I am most interested in is -
> "allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take advantage of ..function-rich IDS 9.4 server release." How ?

In particular you can now use data types like INT8, long object names up
to 128 characters, and dynamic arrays, but I haven't read the details to
be able to give you a full answer. See:

http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/tools/4gl

I CAN tell you that an upgrade from 4GL 7.31 to 7.32 is NO picnic.
Definite recompile needed.

Quote:> So what is ISQL. ( I did a search on the IBM web site and clicked on ISQL and it took me to the
> 4GL page :-( )

Oh, now that would confuse.

ISQL was the product that gave birth to DBaccess. Think of what DBaccess
gives you, then add forms generation (ever heard of perform?), report
generation (ever heard of ace?) and menu generation (best forget this
one). An extremely fast, character based, prototyping tool.

Quote:> Is this just marketing speak for upgrade and you can .....
> Or can users of IDS 7.x really take advantage.

It's pretty much marketing speak, but I foresee a time not too far off
when they drop support for IDS 7.x. It's just too similar to 9.x.

Quote:> Apologies in advance for my ignorance and naievity and trust in marketing hype.

No comment. :-)

Cheers,
--
Mark.

+----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+

| Mydas Solutions Ltd            http://MydasSolutions.com |/////  / //|
|                      +-----------------------------------+////  / ///|
|                      |We value your comments, which have |///  / ////|
|                      |been recorded and automatically    |//  / /////|
|                      |emailed back to us for our records.|/  ////////|
+----------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------+

 
 
 

IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

Post by Colin Bul » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:11:13


Mark D. Stock wrote


> > Is ISQL a product that is only for use with 4GL as I am confused after
> > the latest announcements.

> No.

> > "...also launching 4GL and ISQL 7.32. These products are expected to
> > allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take full advantage of
> > the latest function-rich IDS 9.4 server release."

> > "....can buy or renew 4GL 7.32 and/or ISQL 7.32 licenses."

> If it had said 4GL & ESQL/C, would you think they were the same product?

No, but I have installed and used ESQL and seen details of it
Quote:

> > The bit I am most interested in is -
> > "allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take advantage of ..function-rich IDS 9.4 server release." How ?

> In particular you can now use data types like INT8, long object names up
> to 128 characters, and dynamic arrays, but I haven't read the details to
> be able to give you a full answer. See:

> http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/tools/4gl

> I CAN tell you that an upgrade from 4GL 7.31 to 7.32 is NO picnic.
> Definite recompile needed.

> > So what is ISQL. ( I did a search on the IBM web site and clicked on ISQL and it took me to the
> > 4GL page :-( )

> Oh, now that would confuse.

> ISQL was the product that gave birth to DBaccess. Think of what DBaccess
> gives you, then add forms generation (ever heard of perform?),

Yes, and used it, that was standard in SE 4.X
Quote:> report
> generation (ever heard of ace?)

yes and used it, SE 4.x
Quote:>and menu generation (best forget this one). An extremely fast,
>character based, prototyping tool.

never heard of that one

Quote:

> > Is this just marketing speak for upgrade and you can .....
> > Or can users of IDS 7.x really take advantage.

> It's pretty much marketing speak, but I foresee a time not too far off
> when they drop support for IDS 7.x. It's just too similar to 9.x.

So it is on par with clustering for IDS 7.3. Only available as a white paper.
I thought it was to good to be true.

Quote:> > Apologies in advance for my ignorance and naievity and trust in marketing hype.

> No comment. :-)

Ta

Colin Bull  

 
 
 

IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

Post by Rob Vorbroke » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:24:37


ISQL is a pre-cursor to dbaccess (Menu-driven, etc.) and is very much like
that product with additional features of being able to create simple forms
and ace reports.  I'm certain JL will provide a better description but
that's the quick answer.

Rob Vorbroker

> Is ISQL a product that is only for use with 4GL as I am confused after
> the latest announcements.

> "...also launching 4GL and ISQL 7.32. These products are expected to
> allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take full advantage of
> the latest function-rich IDS 9.4 server release."

> "....can buy or renew 4GL 7.32 and/or ISQL 7.32 licenses."

> The bit I am most interested in is -
> "allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take advantage of
> ..function-rich IDS 9.4 server release." How ?

> So what is ISQL. ( I did a search on the IBM web site and clicked on
> ISQL and it took me to the  4GL page :-( )

> Is this just marketing speak for upgrade and you can .....
> Or can users of IDS 7.x really take advantage.

> Apologies in advance for my ignorance and naievity and trust in
> marketing hype.

> Colin Bull


 
 
 

IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

Post by Jack Parke » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:01:34


ISQL is what we used to build Informix systems with - back in the 2.x days.
It included what we now know as dbaccess as well as a transaction forms
processor and the ace report writer.  Both of which tools predate the actual
'ISQL' product - which basically provided the 'dbaccess style' wrapper to
them.  Really annoyed me when it came out and I had to start putting an 's'
in front of perform, aceprep, acego and formbld.  Still a very useful
product.

The confusion may stem from the fact that 4gl programs use the same forms
that ISQL built (with some additions), and the report section of 4gl
programs has its roots in the ace report writer.  In my first 4gl interview
I kept screwing up... "How do you validate a columns value" - "Use the join
clause in the field specification on the form." - "What are you talking
about?" - They had never heard of ISQL.

You can probably read more in the FAQ.

cheers
j.

----- Original Message -----


Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 4:01 AM
Subject: IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

> Is ISQL a product that is only for use with 4GL as I am confused after
> the latest announcements.

> "...also launching 4GL and ISQL 7.32. These products are expected to
> allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take full advantage of
> the latest function-rich IDS 9.4 server release."

> "....can buy or renew 4GL 7.32 and/or ISQL 7.32 licenses."

> The bit I am most interested in is -
> "allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take advantage of

..function-rich IDS 9.4 server release." How ?
Quote:

> So what is ISQL. ( I did a search on the IBM web site and clicked on ISQL

and it took me to the

- Show quoted text -

> 4GL page :-( )

> Is this just marketing speak for upgrade and you can .....
> Or can users of IDS 7.x really take advantage.

> Apologies in advance for my ignorance and naievity and trust in marketing
hype.

> Colin Bull


 
 
 

IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

Post by Mark D. Stoc » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:04:06



> Mark D. Stock wrote


>>>So what is ISQL. ( I did a search on the IBM web site and clicked on ISQL and it took me to the
>>>4GL page :-( )

>>Oh, now that would confuse.

>>ISQL was the product that gave birth to DBaccess. Think of what DBaccess
>>gives you, then add forms generation (ever heard of perform?),

> Yes, and used it, that was standard in SE 4.X

More like SE was standard with ISQL. The early versions of the tools,
ISQL, I4GL, etc. came bundled with "the" engine, which was SE. Then they
split them into separate products, so that you could buy the engine
separately, although it wasn't much good without ISQL, as there was no
DBaccess.

Although I thought that SE was already a separate product at version 4.x.

Quote:>>report
>>generation (ever heard of ace?)

> yes and used it, SE 4.x

>>and menu generation (best forget this one). An extremely fast,
>>character based, prototyping tool.

> never heard of that one

It sounds like you had it, but didn't use it.

Quote:>>>Is this just marketing speak for upgrade and you can .....
>>>Or can users of IDS 7.x really take advantage.

>>It's pretty much marketing speak, but I foresee a time not too far off
>>when they drop support for IDS 7.x. It's just too similar to 9.x.

> So it is on par with clustering for IDS 7.3. Only available as a white paper.
> I thought it was to good to be true.

Well, they exist at least. The new tools now give you access to more IDS
9.x functionality. The hype is that if you are happy with IDS 7.x
functionality, then these new tools give you nothing, I guess.

Cheers,
--
Mark.

+----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+

| Mydas Solutions Ltd            http://MydasSolutions.com |/////  / //|
|                      +-----------------------------------+////  / ///|
|                      |We value your comments, which have |///  / ////|
|                      |been recorded and automatically    |//  / /////|
|                      |emailed back to us for our records.|/  ////////|
+----------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------+

 
 
 

IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:21:36




>>Mark D. Stock wrote

>>>>So what is ISQL. ( I did a search on the IBM web site and clicked on ISQL and it took me to the
>>>>4GL page :-( )

>>>Oh, now that would confuse.

>>>ISQL was the product that gave birth to DBaccess. Think of what DBaccess
>>>gives you, then add forms generation (ever heard of perform?),

>>Yes, and used it, that was standard in SE 4.X

> More like SE was standard with ISQL. The early versions of the tools,
> ISQL, I4GL, etc. came bundled with "the" engine, which was SE. Then they
> split them into separate products, so that you could buy the engine
> separately, although it wasn't much good without ISQL, as there was no
> DBaccess.

> Although I thought that SE was already a separate product at version 4.x.

First came ISQL 1.10; then came ISQL 2.00 and I4GL 1.00; then ISQL
2.10 and I4GL 1.10; then ISQL/I4GL 2.10.03/1.10.03 - and a new product
called Informix-Turbo; and then came ISQL 4.00, I4GL 4.00, SE 4.00 and
OnLine 4.00.  Incidentally, the ESQL/C version numbers were one ahead
of ISQL (2.10, 3.00, 3.10, 3.10.03, etc, until 4.00).

The .03 products might have been renumbered as version 3 except that
Informix had another product - Informix 3.30 - which was only off the
market for a couple of years at the time.  That had the formbuild,
perform, aceprep and acego programs to which Jack alluded, and a
program called - drum roll, please - informix!  And one called informer.

ISQL 1.10 supported SQL without nulls.  The ACE program accessed the
database through a separate program, sqlexec, but Perform needed to do
things which were not available via sqlexec, so it included the engine
logic in it, and was a SUID root, SGID informix executable as a result.

ISQL 2.00 and I4GL 1.00 added nulls and three-valued logic (ugh!).
When you bought either product, you got the sqlexec executable with
it.  I4GL 1.10 had a number of useful new features, including windows.
  I forget whether scroll cursors were added in 1.10 or 1.10.03, but
when they were added, ISQL became a sane citizen and Perform used the
database server instead of being a server.

At the time the .03 releases were made, it became possible to nominate
which database engine to use via the SQLEXEC environment variable.
This was because there were plans afoot to add a super-dupe high
performance alternative to sqlexec - sqlturbo which was the most
important part of the Informix-Turbo product.  This was another reason
why Perform needed to use the database server, of course.  But when
you bought ISQL or I4GL, you still got sqlexec with the product.

With the great version number unification scheme, everything jumped to
version 4.00.  The Turbo product was renamed OnLine (but the engine
executable remained sqlturbo, and the utility names started tb), and
SE was completely separate.  When you bought ISQL or I4GL, you also
had to buy (or ensure you had access to) a database server.  And I-Net
and I-Star were available for distributed access to databases.

Version numbers remained unified at release 4.10.  I4GL and ISQL did
not jump to 5.00 in synchrony with OnLine and SE and ESQL/C because
the team was hard at work on 4GL++, which eventually became NewEra.

--
Jonathan Leffler                   #include <disclaimer.h>

Guardian of DBD::Informix v2003.04 -- http://dbi.perl.org/

 
 
 

IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

Post by Colin Bul » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:38:23


> -----Original Message-----

> Sent: 21 March 2003 16:18
> To: Colin Bull
> Subject: Re: IIUG Insider (Issue #23)-ISQL

> Colin:

> Do I have to hit you in the head again :)

Again ? The first time could not have been very good as I do not remember it.

Stuart, with this endearment, I can see how you might have ruffled
the monkey's fur.

Quote:

> No they are not the same product.  Between us, the product manager who
> wrote this for IIUG is Indian. His english is not as good as you and I.

That is OK, I find this a very tolerant group ( excepting HTML posters of course).
My english reads a lot better than it sounds, you see my best side :-)

Quote:

> I am very happy to see you are at the same company now for over a year!

I also hear the zebras are migrating early this year.

Quote:> Stuart

I take this as a no. If I want 9.4 fuctionality, I must migrate to 9.4 engine.
$$$$ :-(


> >Is ISQL a product that is only for use with 4GL as I am confused after
> >the latest announcements.

> >"...also launching 4GL and ISQL 7.32. These products are expected to
> >allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take full advantage of
> >the latest function-rich IDS 9.4 server release."

> >"....can buy or renew 4GL 7.32 and/or ISQL 7.32 licenses."

> >The bit I am most interested in is -
> >"allow users currently on IDS 7.x databases to take advantage of
> >..function-rich IDS 9.4 server release." How ?

> >So what is ISQL. ( I did a search on the IBM web site and clicked on ISQL
> >and it took me to the
> >4GL page :-( )

> >Is this just marketing speak for upgrade and you can .....
> >Or can users of IDS 7.x really take advantage.

> >Apologies in advance for my ignorance and naievity and trust in marketing
> >hype.

> >Colin Bull

> ------------------------------------------------
> Stuart Litel
> Member: International Informix User Group Board of Directors
> Chairperson - Operation Committee
> Webmaster of www.iiug.org



Colin Bull  

 
 
 

1. IIUG Insider #8 - August 23, 2002

Folks, for those of you who aren't IIUG members, or who aren't
subscribed to the IIUG Insider, please note that our latest bi-weekly
issue published overnight and can be found online at
http://www.iiug.org/news/insider/insider_23aug02.html.

Here are the headers and table of contents:

-o-

August 23, 2002
IIUG Insider  (Issue #8)

Highlights: Board Elections, IUC'02, Webcast Office Connect & IDS, Bye
Meg, and More...

Online at http://www.IIUG.org
==============================================================

Welcome to the International Informix Users Group (IIUG) Insider!
Designed for IIUG members and Informix user group leaders, this
contains timely and relevant information for the IBM Informix
community.

==============================================================
Contents:
==============================================================
1) IIUG Board Elections - We Rocked The Vote
2) IUC'02 - Two Weeks to Go & Another Top 10 List!
3) IUC'02 - IIUG's Presence & Highlights
4) Webcast - 28 August - Office Connect & IDS
5) Farewell Good Friend of IIUG, Meg Hilbert
6) IIUG Software Downloads: Over 2000 IDS 9.3
7) Second E-Mail Address Implemented for IIUG Discussion Groups
8) IIUG Referrals: Just Three to Get a Prize
9) Useful Links
-o-

Regards,

Federico (Fred) Hubbard
IIUG President & Managing Director
www.IIUG.org

Ph.: 520-400-2415
Fax: 435-304-0512
AIM (Sametime) "FedericoHubbard"

Location: .... Tucson, Arizona, USA
               Standard Time -0700 UTC

2. Recruiter:US-GA--Pre-Sales SE's for Relational Database Co. needed! OLAP, Unix

3. IIUG Insider May 30: Issue #28

4. bcp for different data types

5. IIUG Insider #23 - Prez Letter, 4GL & ISQL 7.32, Download Updates, IBM

6. Probably simple .world question

7. IIUG Insider #24 - Good Bye Glenn Jacobson, Scranton at IIUG.org, IDS 9.4

8. Sequence..

9. IIUG Insider #11: IIUG.org News, Informix Successes,

10. IIUG Insider and (gasp) marketing??

11. IIUG Insider #18 - Informix Tech Support #1, Nancy Profiled, New Gold Programs

12. IIUG Insider #13 - Forum 2002 Top 12, JG Perrin and Infobahns