Reducing Table Sizes

Post by Herb Blacke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Here's a thought...I wish to copy a database to a *test* instance, but I
don't need the tables to be as large as those in the production DB.
What I was thinking...and I could be way off base here...is that if I
did a DBEXPORT, then edited the <dbname>.sql file to reduce the number
of rows where the table is being created, and *also* edited the
corresponding <tabname>.unl file to remove all but the # of rows I want
to import - will the DBIMPORT work or not?

Herb Blacker
Cimarron, Inc.
Sr. Database Administrator
Dept. of Labor Job Corps, San Marcos, Texas

Reducing Table Sizes

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Here's a thought...I wish to copy a database to a *test* instance, but I
> don't need the tables to be as large as those in the production DB.
> What I was thinking...and I could be way off base here...is that if I
> did a DBEXPORT, then edited the <dbname>.sql file to reduce the number
> of rows where the table is being created, and *also* edited the
> corresponding <tabname>.unl file to remove all but the # of rows I want
> to import - will the DBIMPORT work or not?

Simply, yes it will.  Sorry no long winded expansion this time.

Art S. Kagel

1. Reducing Table Size

Hi!

We have a table which is approximately 2GB in size (and
still growing!). What is the best way to reduce the table
size? Deleting records doesn't seem to help. Is there any
other way to effectively reduce its size?

Thanks in advanced. Your inputs would greatly be
appreciated.

Rgds,
Wally

2. Filemaker CDML

3. empty flds: how to reduce table size??

4. Cross Posts

5. How to reduce Size of Paradox-Tables

6. Benchmark testing SQL Server Cluster

7. Reducing PDX5 table size after massive deletions?

8. upgrade you computer and memories for better database performance

9. DB size increased after reducing fields size

10. ADP File Size reduced very much - but why?

11. Trying to reduce size of MASSIVE log file

12. database size has been suddenly reduced

13. Reducing the Size of Archive Logs