D4GL 3.0 & OnLine 5.10

D4GL 3.0 & OnLine 5.10

Post by Colin McGrat » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



We are upgrading to Dynamic-4GL 3.00.UC1 (on an RS6000 running AIX 4.3.1)
We're using the product with OnLine 5.10.UC1
The D4GL 3.0 User Guide (page 2-7) recommends installing Client-SDK even
  if the GLS features aren't needed.
We downloaded the freeware and installed it (following the Informix Clients
  Products Installation Guide) as "root", running the ./installclientsdk script.
The install SEEMED to go well, as did the subsequent install of D4GL 3.0, and
  the compile of the runner with our additional C-functions.

Now, our D4GL programs won't run, error number  -25560.  "Environment variable
  INFORMIXSERVER must be set."  (But we're running OnLine 5.10 , remember.)
Infx Tech support suggesting setting it the the DBSERVERNAME listed in our
tbconfig file, and adding a line in our sqlhosts file with that DBSERVERNAME
and "olipcpip" and our machine name and "sqlexec", and adding a line with
"sqlexec" and "1526/tcp" to the /etc/services file.

But now, that just gives us error # -25584.
  "Network driver cannot access the server program /usr/informix/lib/sqlexec"
  (because there is no such animal).

The classic-4GL versions of the same programs still run fine.  

Should we have ignored the book's advice to download the Client-SDK?

Our ESQL/C verion before the upgrade was 5.10.UC1.  
Guess what? Now it is 9.21.UC1.

 
 
 

D4GL 3.0 & OnLine 5.10

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> We are upgrading to Dynamic-4GL 3.00.UC1 (on an RS6000 running AIX 4.3.1)
> We're using the product with OnLine 5.10.UC1
> The D4GL 3.0 User Guide (page 2-7) recommends installing Client-SDK even
>   if the GLS features aren't needed.
> We downloaded the freeware and installed it (following the Informix Clients
>   Products Installation Guide) as "root", running the ./installclientsdk script.
> The install SEEMED to go well, as did the subsequent install of D4GL 3.0, and
>   the compile of the runner with our additional C-functions.

> Now, our D4GL programs won't run, error number  -25560.  "Environment variable
>   INFORMIXSERVER must be set."  (But we're running OnLine 5.10 , remember.)

The server version does not matter.  It is the front-end tools, D4GL and the
new ESQL/C, that will look for INFORMIXSERVER to be set.  You will NOT be
able to use a shared memory connection between these tools and your 5.10
server, so in that limited sense the tech you spoke to was correct.  HOWEVER,
if you do not have an ipcpip connection configured in the sqlhosts file
already so that there is a listener running just adding such a connection
will not help.  You have to do the following:

Either:

Set INFORMIXSERVER to some pre-existing server name from the sqlhosts file
using oltlitcp or olsoctcp that DOES have a listener running (I assume you
have iStar - sqlexecd installed and running).  

Or:

Make sure that new entry has a different servername and service from the
servernames and services you are already using for that instance (or any
other instance on that machine).  Place the NEW servername from the sqlhosts
file in INFORMIXSERVER.  

Quote:> Infx Tech support suggesting setting it the the DBSERVERNAME listed in our
> tbconfig file, and adding a line in our sqlhosts file with that DBSERVERNAME
> and "olipcpip" and our machine name and "sqlexec", and adding a line with
> "sqlexec" and "1526/tcp" to the /etc/services file.

> But now, that just gives us error # -25584.
>   "Network driver cannot access the server program /usr/informix/lib/sqlexec"
>   (because there is no such animal).

> The classic-4GL versions of the same programs still run fine.

> Should we have ignored the book's advice to download the Client-SDK?

> Our ESQL/C verion before the upgrade was 5.10.UC1.
> Guess what? Now it is 9.21.UC1.

Art S. Kagel

 
 
 

D4GL 3.0 & OnLine 5.10

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



>We are upgrading to Dynamic-4GL 3.00.UC1 (on an RS6000 running AIX 4.3.1)
>We're using the product with OnLine 5.10.UC1
>The D4GL 3.0 User Guide (page 2-7) recommends installing Client-SDK even
>  if the GLS features aren't needed.
>We downloaded the freeware and installed it (following the Informix Clients
>  Products Installation Guide) as "root", running the ./installclientsdk script.
>The install SEEMED to go well, as did the subsequent install of D4GL 3.0, and
>  the compile of the runner with our additional C-functions.

>Now, our D4GL programs won't run, error number  -25560.  "Environment variable
>  INFORMIXSERVER must be set."  (But we're running OnLine 5.10 , remember.)
>Infx Tech support suggesting setting it the the DBSERVERNAME listed in our
>tbconfig file, and adding a line in our sqlhosts file with that DBSERVERNAME
>and "olipcpip" and our machine name and "sqlexec", and adding a line with
>"sqlexec" and "1526/tcp" to the /etc/services file.

>But now, that just gives us error # -25584.
>  "Network driver cannot access the server program /usr/informix/lib/sqlexec"
>  (because there is no such animal).

>The classic-4GL versions of the same programs still run fine.  

>Should we have ignored the book's advice to download the Client-SDK?

>Our ESQL/C verion before the upgrade was 5.10.UC1.  
>Guess what? Now it is 9.21.UC1.

Art's answer was good, though I don't think he explicitly pointed out
that you need I-Star to be able to use CSDK to connect to OnLine 5.x and
will need sqlexecd running to receive connections.

Another alternative, which is what I'd expect to do, is to use ESQL/C
5.10 to connect to the 5.10 database.  That won't require
INFORMIXSERVER, of course.

As a matter of idle fact, I believe that using CSDK to connect to a 5.x
server is preferable when the client application is not running the same
machine as the server; it avoids an intermediary process compared with
using 5.x I-Star or I-Net.  When they are on the same machine, there is
little difference when running.

--
Yours,

Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.62 -- http://www.perl.com/CPAN
     "I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!"

 
 
 

D4GL 3.0 & OnLine 5.10

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



>Either:

>Set INFORMIXSERVER to some pre-existing server name from the sqlhosts file
>using oltlitcp or olsoctcp that DOES have a listener running (I assume you
>have iStar - sqlexecd installed and running).  

Oops; you did mention it; I couldn't see both messages while replying.  Sorry, Art.

--
Yours,

Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.62 -- http://www.perl.com/CPAN
     "I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!"

 
 
 

1. OnLine 5.10 w/CSDK & ESQL 5.10

A while back I asked about running D4GL with OnLine 5.10 and CSDK.  
Art and Jonathan pointed out that I-STAR would be needed with that
mix of products when the ESQL/C version is above 5.10.

But Jonathan also wrote that:

Has anyone succeeded with this technique?  Any ideas how I'd go about it?

--

Washington Group International, Inc.         (215) 422-4144
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Any opinions I state are my own and not necessarily those of my employer

2. SQLServer 6.5 and Image

3. Fail Consistency Check AIX & Informix Online 5.10

4. Clustered index not sorting??

5. I-STAR, OnLine 5.10 & ODBC Question

6. Why does an off-line tablespace stay off-line after re-start?

7. online 5.10 locks & alter table

8. non-existent user "28"

9. Online 5.10 and JDBC connectivity problems

10. VB and Online 5.10

11. How does remote client connect to 5.10 online server

12. Experiences with Online 5.10