Strange ONCONFIG parameter situation....

Strange ONCONFIG parameter situation....

Post by Adam Bradle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi All,
I am running IDS 7.31 on a HP-UX box(OS: HP-UX 10.20).
A strange thing has just happened to me this morning.

As a matter of course, I ran the command:

oncheck -cR  (to check the reserved pages)
......an error occured in the validation - the error I got was:

    Validating PAGE_CONFIG...

ONCONFIG config file error on element CDR_QUEUEMEM.
    Value in reserved page:  4
    Value in config file:    4096

    Validating PAGE_1CKPT & PAGE_2CKPT...
          Using check point page PAGE_2CKPT.

.....but everything else was OK.

I panicked when I saw this but I soon realised that there was nothing wrong
with the two database that I have in this instance (not counting 'sysutils'
and 'sysmaster').

I then did some reading and found that the 'CDR_QUEUEMEM' parameter in the
ONCONFIG file relates to "Informix Enterprise Replication" which I am not
even using!

I then checked my MSGPATH file and saw that after I had taken the Server
offline and brought it back up that it had the following:

9:03:29  Informix Dynamic Server Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized.
9:03:29  Physical Recovery Started.
9:03:29  Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.
9:03:29  Logical Recovery Started.
9:03:32  Logical Recovery Complete.
       0 Committed, 0 Rolled Back, 0 Open, 0 Bad Locks

9:03:33  Onconfig parameter CDR_QUEUEMEM modified from 4 to 4096.
9:03:33  Dataskip is now OFF for all dbspaces
9:03:33  Quiescent Mode
9:03:33  Checkpoint Completed:  duration was 0 seconds.
9:08:57  On-Line Mode

So my questions are:

1) How would this parameter change by itself?
2) What should I do about the fact that the PAGE_CONFIG portion of the
    Reserved page validation does not match the $ONCONFIG file? Should I
    change my $ONCONFIG file so that 'CDR_QUEUEMEM' value(4096)
   matches the 'CDR_QUEUEMEM' value(4) in the reserved page? Or will this
do more harm than good?

Regards - Adam

Strange ONCONFIG parameter situation....

Post by Yuri Dovgar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> 1) How would this parameter change by itself?

No way. It can't be changed by IDS. You must found who maid this.

Quote:> 2) What should I do about the fact that the PAGE_CONFIG portion of the
>     Reserved page validation does not match the $ONCONFIG file? Should I
>     change my $ONCONFIG file so that 'CDR_QUEUEMEM' value(4096)
>    matches the 'CDR_QUEUEMEM' value(4) in the reserved page? Or will this
> do more harm than good?

You simply need to restart your server(this will synchronize reserved pages
with $ONCONFIG) or return CDR_QUEUEMEM back. 'oncheck -cr' reads $ONCONFIG
and compares params with reserved page 2. This feature is needed when you
changed some params and your server can't start. Using this command you will
find incorrect params.

With best regards, Yuri Dovgart
SAP R/3, Informix technical consultant,
Informix Certified Professional,
Senior System Consultant
System Architecture and High Availability Systems,
'Telecominvest' company

ICQ 39284285

1. SCO Kernel Parameters and Onconfig parameters

I am currently setting up an instance of IDS 7.3 workgroup on a SCO 5.05
platform. We will probably have at most 25 users connected to a transaction
logged database. I am looking for a good reference for proper kernel and
Onconfig settings for a setup like this. The server that I will use will
have a minimum of 1 gig of ram and a single one gigahertz processor. I have
some kernel settings that a former employee where I work had obtained. I
don't know where he got these parameters from and I don't know if they are
correct.

I also want to make sure that I am setting up some of the parameters in
Onconfig correctly. I have gotten several instances up and running, but have
not tested them under a heavy user load.

2. PEOPLESOFT PROGRAMMER,Milwaukee,WI

3. Strange situation with SQL Executive

4. Stored Proc optimisation

5. SQL Server 7 licensing -- strange situations

6. Last()

7. Strange situation after renaming SP and generating SQL Script

8. pdox 5 ... where's the NOW ??

9. Strange Situation please help

10. Strange situation

11. strange find situation