Error: Cannot find message file....

Post by Peter Wotherspoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

All,

My local Informix support is unavailable for the next 15 hours. I wonder if
any of you have seen this....

I've just installed Informix Dynamic Server (v7.31.UC5), and my $INFORMIXDIR
(and now $DBLANG) are set correctly (as far as I can tell):

DBLANG=msg
INFORMIXDIR=/usr/informix

This directory contains a goodly number of *.iem files:

$ ls -ald /usr/informix/msg
drwxr-xr-x   9 informix informix    2560 Feb  8 17:13 /usr/informix/msg

But when I try to start the server (ignoring the fact that I should really
be running oninit -i at this stage), I get the message 'Cannot find message
file.  Check INFORMIXDIR and DBLANG.' By the way, 'finderr' works fine.

I am kind of baffled.

Here is the complete output from 'oninit -v':

$ oninit -v
Checking group membership to determine server run modesucceeded
Reading configuration file '/usr/informix/etc/onconfig.pln'...succeeded
Creating /INFORMIXTMP/.infxdirs ... succeeded
Creating infos file "/usr/informix/etc/.infos.plan" ...
"/usr/informix/etc/.conf.plan" ... succeeded
Writing to infos file ... succeeded
Checking config parameters...succeeded
Allocating and attaching to shared memory...succeeded
Creating resident pool 2552 kbytes...succeeded
Creating buffer pool 402 kbytes...succeeded
Initializing rhead structure...succeeded
Initializing ASF ...succeeded
Initializing Dictionary Cache and Stored Procedure Cache...Cannot find
message file.  Check INFORMIXDIR and DBLANG.FAILED

Does anyone have any ideas? If not, I'll give UK support a call at 9am
tomorrow.

Thanks,

Peter

Error: Cannot find message file....

Post by David William » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>All,

>My local Informix support is unavailable for the next 15 hours. I wonder if
>any of you have seen this....

>I've just installed Informix Dynamic Server (v7.31.UC5), and my $INFORMIXDIR
>(and now $DBLANG) are set correctly (as far as I can tell):

>DBLANG=msg
>INFORMIXDIR=/usr/informix

  Do not set DBLANG. Leave it unset.

Quote:>This directory contains a goodly number of *.iem files:

--
David Williams

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I've just installed Informix Dynamic Server (v7.31.UC5), and my $INFORMIXDIR
> (and now $DBLANG) are set correctly (as far as I can tell):

> DBLANG=msg
> INFORMIXDIR=/usr/informix

> This directory contains a goodly number of *.iem files:

As David Williams said, setting DBLANG may be causing some of the
trouble.  The other question is are the *.iem files in $INFORMIXDIR/msg
or in $INFORMIXDIR/msg/en_us/0333?  If they're in the upper directory,
then you have the wrong set of message files -- 7.31 expects the real
message files in the lower directory (except if DBLANG and co are set,
when the rules change).

--

Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.95 -- see http://www.perl.com/CPAN
#include <disclaimer.h>

Error: Cannot find message file....

Post by Peter Wotherspoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

All,

Thanks for the replies.

As usual, it was an implementor error. Every time I've installed Informix,
I've installed Dynamic Server after the client products and tools, and it
worked.

This time, ESQL-C was installed after Dynamic Server, and overwrote some of
the message files with shorter versions. Shehla Arshad put me on the right
track.

At least it's nice to know what error you get when you install products in
the wrong order!

Peter

>> I've just installed Informix Dynamic Server (v7.31.UC5), and my
$INFORMIXDIR
>> (and now $DBLANG) are set correctly (as far as I can tell):

>> DBLANG=msg
>> INFORMIXDIR=/usr/informix

>> This directory contains a goodly number of *.iem files:

>As David Williams said, setting DBLANG may be causing some of the
>trouble.  The other question is are the *.iem files in $INFORMIXDIR/msg
>or in $INFORMIXDIR/msg/en_us/0333?  If they're in the upper directory,
>then you have the wrong set of message files -- 7.31 expects the real
>message files in the lower directory (except if DBLANG and co are set,
>when the rules change).

>--

>Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.95 -- see http://www.perl.com/CPAN
>#include <disclaimer.h>

1. oninit -i: "Cannot find message file"- Error Messages

Hallo!

I have a problem during initialisation of IDS 7.31 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5
platform.
When I dry oninit -i the message "Cannot find message file" appears.

The installed IDS on SCO around 10 time on other machine and I had no
problems. So I think the enviroment and also the onconfig is correctly set.

Maybe someone had a idea...

Thanks, Gnter

CDSPELL=cdspell

CLIENT_LOCALE=german_germany.8859

COLLCHAR=0

COLUMNS=80

DBDATE=DMY4/

DBLANG=2

DBMONEY=.

DB_LOCALE=german_germany.8859

ENGINE=ONLINE

ENV=/etc/kshrc

ERRNO=13

FCEDIT=/bin/ed

HOME=/usr2/users/informix

HUSHLOGIN=FALSE

HZ=100

IFS='

'

INFORMIXDIR=/usr2/program/inf7

INFORMIXSERVER=viper

LANG=german_germany.8859

LC_COLLATE=german_germany.8859

LINENO=1

LINES=24

LOGNAME=informix

MAIL=/usr/spool/mail/informix

MAILCHECK=600

MSG_MAIL=1

MS_PROFILE=1

OLDPWD=/usr2/users/informix

ooefire

OPTARG

OPTIND=1

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:.:/usr2/program/inf7/bin

PPID=6038

PS2='> '

PS3='#? '

PS4='+ '

PWD=/usr2/program/inf7

RANDOM=4915

SECONDS=475

SERVER_LOCALE=german_germany.8859

SHELL=/bin/ksh

TERM=r2

TMOUT=0

TZ=CET-1CETDST,M3.5.0/1,M10.5.0/1

USER=informix

2. THIS NEWSGROUP NEEDS YOUR HELP!

3. Error Cannot Find Message File. Check INFORMIXDIR and DBLANG

4. Java Connection to Oracle 8 personal edition

5. Vedr: Error Cannot Find Message File. Check INFORMIXDIR and DBLANG

6. RFD: comp.soft-sys.help-desk

7. Error Cannot Find Message File. Check INFORMIXDIR and DBLANG

8. copying data from one table to another

9. cannot find message files

10. cannot find message file

11. URGENT: cannot find message file -Informix 7.3

12. oninit Cannot find message file

13. oninit - .Cannot find message file