DBI and DBD::Informix installation problems

DBI and DBD::Informix installation problems

Post by Don Bryan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi All,

I'm attempting to install DBD and DBI for Informix for perl 5.05 and I keep
getting run time errors when I try to do a simple connect in a test script.

My question today is which should I install first, DBI::Informix or DBD? Or
does that matter.

I can give more details surrounding the Carp messages but basically the
script doesn't seem to be able to load the Informix driver.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

DBI and DBD::Informix installation problems

Post by Douglas Wils » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>My question today is which should I install first, DBI::Informix or DBD? Or
>does that matter.

Installing DBI::Informix would be a real trick since there is no
such thing :)

You install DBI first, which is the common interface to alot of different
databases, then you install DBD::Informix which is the Informix driver
for DBI. (DBI -DataBase Interface; DBD DataBase Driver; -get it?)
Read the docs on DBD::Informix to see what else you need first,
like ESQL/C.

Cheers,
Douglas Wilson

DBI and DBD::Informix installation problems

Post by Sujit... » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Don

AFAIK, install DBI first, then install DBD::Informix.

HTH
Sujit

cc:
Subject:  DBI and DBD::Informix installation problems

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm attempting to install DBD and DBI for Informix for perl 5.05 and I keep
> getting run time errors when I try to do a simple connect in a test script.

> My question today is which should I install first, DBI::Informix or DBD? Or
> does that matter.

> I can give more details surrounding the Carp messages but basically the
> script doesn't seem to be able to load the Informix driver.

You need to compile and install DBI before you even try to
install DBD::Informix.

You need to be able to compile and run ESQL/C programs before
you try to install DBD::Informix.

This is covered in the README file which comes with DBD::Informix.

If you're remotely adventurous and have a half-way decent Internet
connection, you should aim to use:

    perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::DBD::Informix'

which will compile and install all the prerequisite Perl modules
(such as DBI) before compiling and installing DBD::Informix.  It
does require some configuration, and you will probably want to
install a few other bundles first:

    perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::libnet'
    perl -MCPAN -e 'install LWP'        # Maybe Bundle::LWP works?
    perl -MCPAN -e 'install Digest::MD5'

The first time through, it will ask you various configuration questions.
Thereafter, it does it automatically and fast, and updates whatever needs
updating (eg the Perl CPAN module may well need an upgrade itself).
Try it -- it is really impressive when you get it working!

--

Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.95 -- see http://www.perl.com/CPAN
#include <disclaimer.h>

DBI and DBD::Informix installation problems

Post by Don Bryan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I'm attempting to install DBD and DBI for Informix for perl 5.05 and I
keep
> > getting run time errors when I try to do a simple connect in a test
script.

> > My question today is which should I install first, DBI::Informix or DBD?
Or
> > does that matter.

> > I can give more details surrounding the Carp messages but basically the
> > script doesn't seem to be able to load the Informix driver.

> You need to compile and install DBI before you even try to
> install DBD::Informix.

> You need to be able to compile and run ESQL/C programs before
> you try to install DBD::Informix.

> This is covered in the README file which comes with DBD::Informix.

> If you're remotely adventurous and have a half-way decent Internet
> connection, you should aim to use:

>     perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::DBD::Informix'

> which will compile and install all the prerequisite Perl modules
> (such as DBI) before compiling and installing DBD::Informix.  It
> does require some configuration, and you will probably want to
> install a few other bundles first:

>     perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::libnet'
>     perl -MCPAN -e 'install LWP'        # Maybe Bundle::LWP works?
>     perl -MCPAN -e 'install Digest::MD5'

Jonathan,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've performed all of the build steps listed above. I consistently fail when
'make test' occurs for DBD::Informix. When I set TEST_VERBOSE=1 on the make
test command line I receive a -952 error indicating that the users
account/password is not accepted by the Informix server. I'm installing
these modules on a Linux server and the Informix server is installed on a
Solaris server here on our LAN.
I know that the account name/password is valid and has DBA privileges. I
know that ESQL/C works properly as I've configured PHP3 to work with Apache
1.39 and I've successfully made queries from an HTML interface from an IE
browser running on my Win98 workstation. I really thought installing the
DBD::Informix driver would be a snap since I've been successful with PHP.
I've also made sure that the environment variables specified in the README
file are set properly and that a .netrc file doesn't have conflicting or
erroneous USER/PASSWORD data (actually there is no .netrc file for the
afflicted accounts). Also I have edited the /etc/host.equiv file on the
Solaris server. When I force a make install after failing a make test and I
test a simple connect method call ( $dbi=>connect(....)), I receive the same
error -952, but only if I am logged in as root. If I am logged in as another
user then and exception is thrown when an attempt to load Informix.pm is
made. Is this a permission problem? If so what is the solution?

Sorry to ramble so but I'm really frustrated today as I need to get past
this and get some real work done.

Thanks in advance,

Don Bryant

DBI and DBD::Informix installation problems

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> I'm attempting to install DBD and DBI for Informix for perl 5.05 and I keep
>> getting run time errors when I try to do a simple connect in a test script.

>> My question today is which should I install first, DBI::Informix or DBD? Or
>> does that matter.

>> I can give more details surrounding the Carp messages but basically the
>> script doesn't seem to be able to load the Informix driver.

>You need to compile and install DBI before you even try to
>install DBD::Informix.

>You need to be able to compile and run ESQL/C programs before
>you try to install DBD::Informix.

>This is covered in the README file which comes with DBD::Informix.

>If you're remotely adventurous and have a half-way decent Internet
>connection, you should aim to use:

>    perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::DBD::Informix'

>which will compile and install all the prerequisite Perl modules
>(such as DBI) before compiling and installing DBD::Informix.  It
>does require some configuration, and you will probably want to
>install a few other bundles first:

>    perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::libnet'
>    perl -MCPAN -e 'install LWP'        # Maybe Bundle::LWP works?
>    perl -MCPAN -e 'install Digest::MD5'

>The first time through, it will ask you various configuration questions.
>Thereafter, it does it automatically and fast, and updates whatever needs
>updating (eg the Perl CPAN module may well need an upgrade itself).
>Try it -- it is really impressive when you get it working!

Further to the above, there is a Bundle::LWP, and you can do pretty much
everything in one fell swoop with:

        perl -MCPAN -e 'install CPAN; reload CPAN;
                                        install qw(Bundle::libnet Bundle::LWP Digest::MD5 Bundle::DBD::Informix)'

This updates and reloads CPAN (1.52 is available today), and then checks
that the libnet, LWP and MD5 modules are installed, and finally deals
with DBD::Informix.

--
Yours,

Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.95 -- http://www.perl.com/CPAN
     "I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!"