Replication across TCPIP link

Post by tan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What's the best way of implementing database replication across a TCPIP
link?

I have looked at Informix's integrated software but this was not
reccommended by Informix tech support.

Any ideas?

Replication across TCPIP link

Post by David William » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>What's the best way of implementing database replication across a TCPIP
>link?

>I have looked at Informix's integrated software but this was not
>reccommended by Informix tech support.

 It should be..

Quote:>Any ideas?

--
David Williams

Maintainer of the Informix FAQ
 Primary site (Beta Version)  http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk
 Official site                http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/faq_top.html

I see you standin', Standin' on your own, It's such a lonely place for you, For
you to be If you need a shoulder, Or if you need a friend, I'll be here
standing, Until the bitter end...
So don't chastise me Or think I, I mean you harm...
All I ever wanted Was for you To know that I care

1. Oracle Remote Links/Replication across a WAN

Hi folks,
Our client-server application has to date accessed an Oracle database across
a LAN and so far no performance issues. One of our customers is now
accessing the database across a WAN (SMDM 2MB) and we're having some
performance issues.

I'm investiagting the use of Oracle remote links and I would appreciate if
anyone out there has any info regarding these.

Our app uses standard SQL calls to retrieve data from the database and to
update the database tables - i.e. SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE etc. We do not used
stored procedures. I have seen some evidence that using SP's would improve
the performance but it would mean en extensive re-write of our software and
is therefore not a viable option.

One proposal that we will be making is to create a second Oracle database
which will contain remote links to the 'original' database and for the user
to access this database across their LAN.

Can anybody tell me if using remote links will retrieve the data faster that
an SQL call?

Is the data retrieved every time I access the link - or only if data has
changed?

Thanks

2. Detecting Indexes Usage

3. transactional push replication through Tcpip help

4. parallel execution of queries ?

5. TCPIP and replication

6. In VB4, using vbSQLPassThrough with Oracle 7

7. Linked Servers, SP's across servers / Radid update

8. Comparing records in Access via VB

9. linked server across a firewall

10. backups across linked servers

11. Linking tables across databases

12. Security across linked servers

13. Creating a linked server across a firewall.