ONBAR Backup-restore issue.....

Post by Rajasekaran, Rajes » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:10:51

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0CDAA.AE1574B0

Hi all,

    I would like to clarify one thing related to ONBAR backup.We are
currently using Veritas NetBackup on Solaris 8 with Informix 7.3 UC7.We have
only one license for our NetBackup components which we have used for our
production site.

Now in order to restore the backedup data on another server say B,i cant use
Veritas Netbackup in that server B since i have only one license.I am
planning to configure ISM in server B and use those tapes  on the available
DLT tape drives connected to Server B.

My question :

Assume that i have configured ISM properly,
1) Is it possible to restore using ISM-ONBAR combination when the backup up
is taken using VERITAS -ONBAR combination ?
2) When i initiate an ONBAR restore, will it restore without any issues
since the backup is done using VERITAS NetBackup ?
3) I believe while doing restore,ISM may try to check its system catalog for
the backup info's which may not be present and hence will it fail because of
that ?
4) Is there anyway to overcome this problem ?

Awaiting for response,

Regards

Rajesh

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0CDAA.AE1574B0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>ONBAR Backup-restore issue.....</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi all,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to =
clarify one thing related to ONBAR backup.We are currently using =
Veritas NetBackup on Solaris 8 with Informix 7.3 UC7.We have only one =
license for our NetBackup components which we have used for our =
production site.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Now in order to restore the backedup =
data on another server say B,i cant use Veritas Netbackup in that =
server B since i have only one license.I am planning to configure ISM =
in server B and use those tapes&nbsp; on the available DLT tape drives =
connected to Server B.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">My question :</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Assume that i have configured ISM =
properly,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">1) Is it possible to restore using =
ISM-ONBAR combination when the backup up is taken using VERITAS -ONBAR =
combination ?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2) When i initiate an ONBAR restore, =
will it restore without any issues since the backup is done using =
VERITAS NetBackup ?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">3) I believe while doing restore,ISM =
may try to check its system catalog for the backup info's which may not =
be present and hence will it fail because of that ?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">4) Is there anyway to overcome this =
problem ?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Awaiting for response,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Regards</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Rajesh</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C0CDAA.AE1574B0--

1. Clarification of Onbar RESTARTABLE RESTORE issue....

Hello all,

   I would like to discuss about a restore issue. I did the whole system
restore using the command "onbar -r -w -p"(Physical restore) and ignore the
logs restore since its the test system.
  I have to utilise the RESTARTABLE RESTORE feature since i was doing the
restore from a single tape drive with multiple data tapes. Everytime i
changed the tape, i got to perform the "onbar -RESTART" to start the restore
from where it left. Now the  whole system restore was completed, I brought
the system to online mode.

Suddenly, I found lot of chunks were still having the status PD. All these
chunks were belong to non-critical dbspaces.I tried to change the chunk
status to "online" using onspaces command since i could perform 'dd' on all
these chunks, but onspaces couldnt change the status. There were no chunk
offline error messages in the online log file.

I had this problem before during ontape restore. I was told that with some
backups (especially the backups ran on busy hours), the recovery process
during the restore will take a while before it brings the system to
quiescent or online mode depending on the amount of changes made during the
backup.

Having said that, i started the restore (onbar -r -w -p) again. But i
observed something this time. Halfway thru, dbspaces which are getting
restored using the RESTARTABLE RESTORE (onbar -RESTART) whose chunks are
still having status PD and dbspace status NP. But dbspaces which are
restored in the first bunch before the first RESTARTABLE RESTORE whose
chunks are having status PI and dbspace status NP. I am sure the PI chunks
will turn PO once i bring the system to quiescent/multi-user mode. Iam not
sure about the PD chunks though.

Queries

1) Could this be the problem during my last restore ?
2) Could anyone have issues with ONBAR RESTARTABLE RESTORE ?
3) Will the PD chunks change to PO after the restore gets over automatically
like the PI chunks ?
4) I have done many times the restore in the past like the same way without
restoring logs. Does the logical log restore mandatory while doing onbar -p
-r -w ?

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rajesh Rajasekaran
Informix Database Administrator
Forest Pharmaceuticals Inc.
314-493-7073 (Work)

sending to informix-list

2. SQL TASK Store Procedure Global Variables

3. Onbar and netbackup restore issues

4. SELECT Column1 FROM MyTable WHERE Column2 in (@p_List)

5. onbar restore to alternate client from a parallel backup failed

6. Validation Rules in MS Access

7. Informix onbar backup/restore with Veritas NetBackup

8. Proper way to doubly join in a query

9. Onbar Backup/Restore

10. ONBAR backup/restore between two servers

11. Restore ONBAR backup to a different host using ADSM

12. ONBAR (backup and restore)

13. Onbar Restore Error - Can't Restore Reserved Pages