Continuous log backup in the background

Post by John Bejaran » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

All,

Currently, we have an Informix server where we perform periodic logical
log backups using ontape -a.  We're thinking of moving to continuous
logical log backups using ontape -c.  We do have a tape drive that can
be dedicated to this.

My question is this.  What are the considerations if you run ontape -c
in the background, (as opposed to leaving a window open on some
administrative terminal, like my last company would do)?  Is it
appropriate to run ontape -c in the background?  What are the pitfalls?
Thanks for any insights.

Kind regards,

--
<><><><><><><><>
John Bejarano

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> All,

> Currently, we have an Informix server where we perform periodic logical
> log backups using ontape -a.  We're thinking of moving to continuous
> logical log backups using ontape -c.  We do have a tape drive that can
> be dedicated to this.

> My question is this.  What are the considerations if you run ontape -c
> in the background, (as opposed to leaving a window open on some
> administrative terminal, like my last company would do)?  Is it
> appropriate to run ontape -c in the background?  What are the pitfalls?

For ontape -c you must dedicate a terminal.  Otherwise how will you
change the tapes when queried?  An alternative is archiving logs to
disk using the ALARMPROGRAM and then staging them to tape periodically
using the system backups.  My submission, utils3_ak, to the IIUG
Software Repository presents two ways to do this, a script and an
executable.  BTW The latest version of utils3_ak was uploaded to the
site yesterday and is now available.  It now properly handles the
situation if you change LTAPEDEV to /dev/null to turn off the alarm
handler's backup feature.

Art S. Kagel

Post by Neil Trub » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>All,

>Currently, we have an Informix server where we perform periodic logical
>log backups using ontape -a.  We're thinking of moving to continuous
>logical log backups using ontape -c.  We do have a tape drive that can
>be dedicated to this.

>My question is this.  What are the considerations if you run ontape -c
>in the background....

I've done this in previous sites, running the log back-ups to disk.  It
works OK, and presumably would do to tape.  The problems would occur when
intervention is required, for example, a tape change.  In this case the
method is going to fail.  You have to run on the assumption that your tape
never fills (or that the 2 GB file limit is never reached if you're dumping
logs to disk).

Also, it's important to remember to re-activate the script when the engine
or server is re-cycled.  I wrapped a script around the starting of the
Informix engine for this purpose.

BTW, you didn't reply to my question about whether you're using kaio.  Do
you still have your performance problems?

Neil Truby
Londis Holdings
Hampton Hill, UK

1. Continuous backup of logical logs

I'm using a script for unanttended logical logs backup (basically command
ontape -c &). The problem is that the background process seems to stop
(killed) almost once every day. Has anybody ideas for correcting the problem
or perhaps a better solution for backup of locigal logs?

Thanks in advance!
Pentti

2. SendMail

3. Continuous Log Backup

4. INNER JOIN's on 4 tables with access

5. continuous log backup to disk (ontape -c) ...

6. truncate log on checkpoint

7. continuous log backup to disk (ontape -c) ... again

8. Continuous Log Backup to Disk

9. continuous backup

10. RAID and continuous backup

11. Question on backup using continuous operations

12. Continuous operation backup solution?