[Fwd: Correct Answer]

Post by Carl Gus » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:23:40 -0600

Subject: Correct Answer

I have a bet riding on the correct answer for this
question:

Can the location of temporary tables be
configured?

[Fwd: Correct Answer]

Post by david.as.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

     Carl,

     I don't believe you can use the "in dbspace" clause for temp tables
     but you could change the temporary work area using dbtemp for pre
     version 7 or dbspacetemp in the onconfig for version 7.

     Regards

     David Ashby

Subject: [Fwd: Correct Answer]

Date:    21/3/98 6:31 PM

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:23:40 -0600 From:

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:23:40 -0600

> Subject: Correct Answer

> I have a bet riding on the correct answer for this
> question:

> Can the location of temporary tables be
> configured?

Yes and no.  The environment variable DBSPACETEMP specifies one or more
dbspaces into which to place temp tables.  Inversions prior to 7.3,
though a temp table could be created in any of the listed dbspaces and
in general was done by each thread in a round robin fashion such that
if your connection created three temp tables and there are two spaces
in the list the third table goes in to the same space as the second.
Version 7.3 is supposed to be able to create temp tables fragmented
across all DBSPACETEMP spaces.  So, in the sense that, if set,
DBSPACETEMP controls which dbspace(s) are used for temp tables, yes you
can control it.  However, if more than one dbspace is specified you
cannot know which dbspace will contain a particular temp table.

Art S. Kagel

[Fwd: Correct Answer]

Post by Birdma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
Below is the excerpt from INFORMIX Dynamic Server Administration:
When you create an explicit temporary table using the IN dbspace option of
CREATE TEMP TABLE, OnLine stores the temporary table in that dbspace.
When you do not use the IN dbspace option of CREATE TEMP TABLE, or when
you create the explicit table with SELECT... INTO TEMP, OnLine checks the
DBSPACETEMP environment variable and the DBSPACETEMP configuration
parameter. (The environment variable supersedes the configuration
parameter.) When DBSPACETEMP is set, OnLine stores the explicit
temporary table in one of the dbspaces specified in the list.
OnLine keeps track of the last dbspace in the list that it used to store a
temporary table. When OnLine receives another request for temporary
storage space, it uses the next dbspace in the list. In this way, OnLine
spreads
I/O evenly across the temporary storage space that you specify in
DBSPACETEMP.
When you do not specify any temporary dbspaces in DBSPACETEMP, or the
temporary dbspaces that you specify have insufficient space, OnLine creates
the table in a standard (nontemporary) dbspace according to the following
rules:
n If you created the temporary table with CREATE TEMP TABLE,
OnLine stores this table in the dbspace that contains the database to
which the table belongs.
n If you created the temporary table with the INTO TEMP option of the
SELECT statement, OnLine stores this table in the root dbspace.
Implicit Temporary Tables
OnLine stores implicit temporary tables in one of the dbspaces that you
specify in the DBSPACETEMP environment variable or the DBSPACETEMP
configuration parameter. (The environment variable supersedes the
configu-ration
parameter.) When DBSPACETEMP is not set, OnLine stores the
temporary table in the root dbspace.
When OnLine creates implicit temporary tables in the process of sorting, it
checks the PSORT_DBTEMP environment variable in addition to checking the
DBSPACETEMP environment variable and the DBSPACETEMP configuration
parameter. For further information on this topic, see the INFORMIX-OnLine
Dynamic Server Performance Guide.

Regards