Informix Online 5.10 and Legato Networker

Informix Online 5.10 and Legato Networker

Post by Richard Spit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Informixers and Networkers,

I am presently stuck with Informix Online 5.10 and Networker 4.2C
(Siemens-Nixdorf version). In previous versions, there used to be
a Networker module called "informixasm" which was supposed to
work with Informix "tbtape" to do backups and restores of live
Online databases.

"informixasm" has been discontinued in current versions of Networker
and is no longer supported. However, I was advised by support that
it might still work, so I've been using it to backup my Online databases
to the Networker system. As far as I could tell, the backups were
done ok (at least Online said it was backed up, and data were going
onto the tape).

Unfortunately, I have never been able to actually test the restore
functionality since I had only the production system available. Yes,
I know that's very blue-eyed and restore should ALWAYS be tested, but
that's how it goes. Now I have a bare-* machine available to play
with, and first thing I did was try to restore with Online 5.10 "tbtape"
and "informixasm". However, no data are restored, and "tbtape" just
sits there forever waiting for data.

Is anybody here on the Networker list or the Informix newsgroup who
is using Networker to backup and restore Informix Online 5.x and who
could give me some advice?

Regards, Richard
--
+--------------------------+------------------------------------------+

| EDV-Gruppe Anaesthesie   | Tel     : +49-89-7095-3413               |
| Klinikum Grosshadern     | FAX     : +49-89-7095-8886               |
| 81366 Munich, Germany    | GSM     : +49-172-8933578                |
+--------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Post by Doug McAlliste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi Informixers,

> since nobody in the whole wide world seems to be using Legato Networker
> to backup an Online 5.x system, I'll have to revert back to using
> good old "tbtape" with a standalone tape drive.

> We don't have the personnel resources to manually change the tape
> every day, so I'd like to use the "nonrewind" device and use one tape
> for a week's worth of backups: Level 1 for six consecutive days and
> then a level 0 on the seventh day, changing the tape after that and
> storing it offsite.

> What I am concerned about is what tbtape does after the message
> "Please mount tape and press Return to continue". Does the tape always
> rewind to the beginning, or does it start after the last recorded
> backup? Remember, I want to use the "nonrewind" device.

tbtape ALWAYS rewinds the device to the beginning. You cannot stack
multiple files on a single tape volume.

Post by June Ton » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > We don't have the personnel resources to manually change the tape
> > every day, so I'd like to use the "nonrewind" device and use one tape
> > for a week's worth of backups: Level 1 for six consecutive days and
> > then a level 0 on the seventh day, changing the tape after that and
> > storing it offsite.

> > What I am concerned about is what tbtape does after the message
> > "Please mount tape and press Return to continue". Does the tape always
> > rewind to the beginning, or does it start after the last recorded
> > backup? Remember, I want to use the "nonrewind" device.

> tbtape ALWAYS rewinds the device to the beginning. You cannot stack
> multiple files on a single tape volume.

Not true.  Tbtape NEVER rewinds.  It only EXPECTS a rewind on close().  That
is why the manuals say that you must use a rewind device.  If you use a
no-rewind device, and your backup spans multiple tapes, your restore will
fail, because the header of the second tape will not be in the correct
location on tape (I can go into more detail on the mechanics of why this
happens, if necessary).  As long as your archive stays on a single tape,
using a no-rewind device should work fine (but is still unsupported).  The
problem with using a no-rewind device is finding where the archive starts, if
it isn't the first thing on the tape.  Tbtape will not *find* your archive
for you on the tape.  When you insert the tape in your tape drive, you'd
better have it already forwarded to the correct place.

June
--

Lost in the wilds of Palo Alto, living on M&M's

1. Informix 7.31FC7XE1/Legato Networker Module Informix 2.0/HP 11.i

We are migrationg our SAP Informix system from HP V2250 (HP/UX 11.0) to HP
RP8400 (HP/UX 11.i) this weekend. We just found out that Legato Networker
Module Informix 2.0 is NOT certified for HP 11.i? I thought NMI 2.0 was
supported in the HP11.x environment so this news come as quite a shock to
us. Would like to hear some feedback from other Informix customers using HP
11.i and Networker  Module 2.0/Networker 6.x.

Thanks,
Moling H. Yeh
Technical Services
Occidental Petroleum Corporation
4500 S. 129th E. Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74134

phone:  918-610-1811
pager:   918-610-1811 #701
fax:        918-610-1945

2. 6.5 Stops responding after Restoring

3. OnLine 5.10 w/CSDK & ESQL 5.10

4. Oracle AQ

5. Informix IDS 7.30 OnBar and Legato Networker

6. RPC, PB5, SYBASE 11 STORED PROCS

7. Informix 5 and Legato Networker

8. Santa Clara CA: Oracle-Data Warehouse-SQL-Oracle Reports3.0-PL/SQL

9. Fail Consistency Check AIX & Informix Online 5.10

10. Backup of model db failing with Legato Networker

11. Legato Networker SQL on MS Cluster

12. Restoration of database slow using Legato Networker in Windows 2000 server