ONLINE 7.1 NT, ONLINE 5.0 UNIX

Post by a.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi informix'ers
can I connect my online 5.0 UNIX database from my online 7.1 NT machine..?
I edit the sqlhosts registry on NT adding new key for my unix database but
when I connect from dbaccess giving me error message 908 attempt to connect
to databse server failed...?

any hints...

thanks...

ONLINE 7.1 NT, ONLINE 5.0 UNIX

Post by Walter S. Tysz » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Hi informix'ers
> can I connect my online 5.0 UNIX database from my online 7.1 NT machine..?
> I edit the sqlhosts registry on NT adding new key for my unix database but
> when I connect from dbaccess giving me error message 908 attempt to connect
> to databse server failed...?

> any hints...

> thanks...

Do you have the INFORMIX-STAR product loaded on the UNIX node?
Do the entries in your etc/services match on both machines?
The default service name used in version 5.x was sqlexec on port 1525/tcp,
but the default service name used in version 7.x seems to be turbo.

For example:
In the /etc/services file on the UNIX node -
sqlexec         1525/tcp        # Informix network daemon

In the \WINNT35\system32\drivers\etc\SERVICES file on the NT node -
turbo           1525/tcp        # Informix-OnLine Dynamic Server

You must make the service name and the port number match on both nodes.

For example:
In the /etc/services file on the UNIX node -
turbo           1525/tcp        # Informix network daemon

In the \WINNT35\system32\drivers\etc\SERVICES file on the NT node -
turbo           1525/tcp        # Informix-OnLine Dynamic Server

Note: You may need to re-boot after you change an entry in the services file.

You will also need to make sure that the $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts file
on the UNIX node contains entries for the NT node.

For example:
In the $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts file on the UNIX node -
# dbservername  nettype         hostname        servicename
#----------------------------------------------------------
ol_mypc         olsoctcp        mypc            turbo

Note: The dbservername needs to match the DBSERVERNAME entry in the
      onconfig file on the NT node.
      The nettype should be either olsoctcp or onsoctcp (I believe that
      these are the only two valid choises on NT).
      The hostname needs to match the node name of the NT machine and
      should also match the entry in the etc/hosts file on both machines.
      The servicename must match the entry in the etc/services file on
      both machines (see notes above).

You will also need to make sure that the sqlexecd process is running on the
UNIX side.  Furthermore, if the entry in the /etc/services file on the UNIX
node lists a service name other than sqlexec, you will need to make sure
that the sqlexecd process is started using the correct service name.
If you start the sqlexecd process on the UNIX node without passing it a
service name it will use the default service name of 'sqlexec'.  If you
want the sqlexecd process to use the 'turbo' service you must pass it that
service name when you start the process.

For example:

# $INFORMIXDIR/lib/sqlexecd turbo
or
# $INFORMIXDIR/lib/sqlexecd turbo -l logfile_name

There is no sqlexecd process to worry about on the NT node (because those
nice folks at Informix have added the network connectivity to the OnLine
Engine product).  You will need to make sure that you have the correct
data in your registry thou.

--
Regards,

ONLINE 7.1 NT, ONLINE 5.0 UNIX

Post by Joe Lumbl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: Hi informix'ers
: can I connect my online 5.0 UNIX database from my online 7.1 NT machine..?
: I edit the sqlhosts registry on NT adding new key for my unix database but
: when I connect from dbaccess giving me error message 908 attempt to connect
: to databse server failed...?

: any hints...

: thanks...

On the NT, you have to set the sqlhosts information in the registry by
using either setnet.exe or by using regedt32 to edit the registry.  The
registry needs to have HOST, SERVICE, and PROTOCOL entries. I don't
fully trust setnet....sometimes I have to go to the registry to edit
it manually.

You also need to edit the services file \winnt35\system32\drivers\etc\services
to make sure that the service is there.  Try using ilogin.exe to test the
connection.  If you manually enter all the data in the connection info in
ilogin, I believe it will take that info first without going to the registry.

Takes a little tweaking....

Joe

1. How to migrate database on Online Dynamic Server 7.2 to Online Dynamic Server 7.1

Hi,

I have generate my application with Online Dynamic Server 7.22 on AIX
(IBM RS6000) and now I want the same application, with the same database
run on Sun Solaris 2.5 with the previous release of Online Dynamic
Server (i.e release 7.13).
My question is:
        Could give me the best procedure to perform on my first environment
(AIX) and the steps to do on target platform ?

Many thanks for your help,

Chris.

2. ODCIInterface Error

3. Online config for I-NET PC 5.01 to Online 7.1

4. Return Query Estimate for SQL Server 2000

5. Roles problem between Online NT and Online Unix

6. interaktive SQL control

7. Online NT and Online UNIX how to communicate?

8. 5.0 and 7.1 OnLine together ?

9. JAM 5.0/Relay Module/OnlIne 7.1

10. PRESS INFORMIX-ONLINE DYNAMIC SERVER VERSION 7.1 AVAILABLE ON ELEVEN UNIX PLATFORMS

11. NT ODBC Driver for Informix OnLine 7.1