ISM_Startup errors IDS 7.31 on AIX

Post by David Summer » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:13:29

 IDS 7.31.uc6
 AIX 4.3.3
 When trying to install the Informix storage manager
 (ISM) by running
 $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ism_startup -init
 I receive 2 core dumps.
 The  output is
 start_sm: is starting the ISM daemons.
 start_ism[35]: 27130 Segmentation fault(coredump)
 start_ism[36]: 27132 Segmentation fault(coredump)
 ${0##*/}: Still waiting for ISM daemons to become
 available...
 ${0##*/}: Still waiting for ISM daemons to become
 available...
 start_ism: ISM server not running after 2 minutes
 and 30 seconds.

Script is core - ing out when running
$INFORMIXDIR/bin/nsrexecd
$INFORMIXDIR/bin/nsrd

 Has anybody seen this before and if so how did you
 resolve it?

 Thanks for your help!

 Regards,

David Summers

http://mail.yahoo.com/

ISM_Startup errors IDS 7.31 on AIX

Post by Murray Woo » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:09:53

You may need to log a call with Informix Tech Support or examine the
contents of the ISM logs ...
        bar_act.log             under $INFORMXIDIR
        xbsa.messages   under /nsr

In our case - slightly different to yours - there was a corruption in the
ISM database for which we needed to rename a directory before starting.

MW

[...]

Post by Brice Avil » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:14:44

I believe you still get free tech support for installation problems.

Brice Avila

Quote:

>  IDS 7.31.uc6
>  AIX 4.3.3
>  When trying to install the Informix storage manager
>  (ISM) by running
>  $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ism_startup -init
>  I receive 2 core dumps.
>  The  output is
>  start_sm: is starting the ISM daemons.
>  start_ism[35]: 27130 Segmentation fault(coredump)
>  start_ism[36]: 27132 Segmentation fault(coredump)
>  ${0##*/}: Still waiting for ISM daemons to become
>  available...
>  ${0##*/}: Still waiting for ISM daemons to become
>  available...
>  start_ism: ISM server not running after 2 minutes
>  and 30 seconds.

> Script is core - ing out when running
> $INFORMIXDIR/bin/nsrexecd
> $INFORMIXDIR/bin/nsrd

>  Has anybody seen this before and if so how did you
>  resolve it?

>  Thanks for your help!

>  Regards,

> David Summers

> http://mail.yahoo.com/

1. ISM_Startup errors IDS 7.31 on AIX - SOLUTION

Brice and Murray thanks for the suggestions!
However
IBM (Informix)does not consider ISM installation problems part of the
core product so no free tech support there.
However I had much joy at the Legato Tech Dialog site
http://web1.legato.com/tech_dialog/main_lefaq.html
 where I discovered a bug
Title:  AIX/NetWorker 5.5 - Core dump running nsrexecd; Set nofiles to
default
2000

Attempting to start NetWorker daemons on an AIX client fails with a
core dump.

ANALYSIS:

NetWorker server for NT 5.5.1
NetWorker client for AIX 5.5.1
Windows NT 4.0
AIX 4.3.1

After installing an AIX 4.3.1 patch, starting the NetWorker daemons
fails with a
core dump. There are no other error messages.

Checked the client index with nsrck -F, and they appear to be okay.

Checked the system parameter set up. The soft file descriptor is set
to -1,
which means no limit. This setting is causing NetWorker to core dump.

SOLUTION:

Change the nofiles parameter back to the default of 2000.

1)  Edit /etc/security/limit
2)  Modify the nofiles parameter
3)  Restart the NetWorker daemons

Created: 9/28/1999
HH/nka
Last Update:
__ End of Legato

The file is actually /etc/security/limits
and even though the text says aix client it also manifests itself in
an AIX server environment.

Thanks again!
David

2. Read for National Oracle Positions Listing

3. IDS 7.31 on AIX 5.1

4. VFP odbc driver version and syntax of date portion of SQL.

5. Oracle compatibility with Windows98

6. IDS 7.31 on AIX 4.3.3

7. IDS 7.31 on AIX 5.1?

8. repair an Index on a big table (IDS 7.31 on AIX 4.2.1)

9. IDS 7.31 using e-mail on AIX

10. IDS 7.31 and OnBar and ADSM on AIX

11. Restoring IDS 7.31 on IDS 2000