What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

Post by preetinder.s.dhali.. » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:50:48



--openmail-part-0a3cf8a9-00000002
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; name="BDY.RTF"
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="BDY.RTF"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hi

      We migrated from HPUX10.2 INf 5.1 to HPUX11 INf 9.

      I have some scripts which do unload load , but you can start
parallel streams. The scripts do all the checking like verifying
count(*), building dbase on remote machine etc.

      For 8 GB dbase all activities took around 2hrs. The scripts use
remote command execution. (unloadto a pipe on this machine (current), a
process reads pipe and zips and transfers to a pipe on remote and a
process on remote unzips and loads.)

      If U want I can send U the scripts.

Rgds
Dhali

   -----Original Message-----

   Sent:       Thursday, January 24, 2002 6:34 PM
   To:         ids

   Cc:         bazeemuddin; informix-list
   Subject:    What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX  to AIX

   What is the best way to migrate/move the database

    From
      UP-UX Informix V 7.31 DB Size 12 GB

    To      AIX 4.3 Informix 9.x

   Thanks
   Basheer Azeemuddin
   IS Manager
   K&R Express Systems, Inc.
   Burr Ridge, IL 60521
   Ph..  (630)-323-3230 X3269, 1-800-347-5671
   Fax: (630)-323-4349
   www.knrq.com

--openmail-part-0a3cf8a9-00000002
Content-Type: application/rtf; name="BDY.RTF"
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="BDY.RTF"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
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--openmail-part-0a3cf8a9-00000002--

 
 
 

What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

Post by Ravi Krishn » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:53:12


Basheer,

I am in the midst of changing my tool myonpload which gives
a command line interface to HPL. So far it did only upload.
Now I am adding download to it.

A simple command

myonpload -d database -t table -i file.unl -l /opt/log
will upload data into the table using onpload.

And
myonpload -d database -t table -o file.unl -l /opt/log
will download it.

I compared dbaccess (unload to select *) vs onpload
download and onpload is MUCH faster.

I will send you the script by tomorrow.

Ravi.

----- Original Message -----



Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 1:38 PM
Subject: RE: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> Probably unload / load ASCII . . . .  I'd recommend the HPL to handle that
> aspect; even in ASCII load / unload it's still faster the SQL load /
unload.

> -----Original Message-----

> Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 12:34 PM


> Subject: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> What is the best way to migrate/move the database

>  From
>   UP-UX Informix V 7.31 DB Size 12 GB

>  To AIX 4.3 Informix 9.x

> Thanks
> Basheer Azeemuddin
> IS Manager
> K&R Express Systems, Inc.
> Burr Ridge, IL 60521
> Ph..  (630)-323-3230 X3269, 1-800-347-5671
> Fax: (630)-323-4349
> www.knrq.com

> "CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message originates from WHSmith USA Travel
> Retail. This email message and all attachments may contain legally
> privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of the
> addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you should immediately
> stop reading this message and delete it from the system. Any unauthorized
> reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its
> attachments is strictly prohibited. All personal messages express solely
the
> sender's views and not those of WHSmith USA Travel Retail. This message
may
> not be copied or distributed without this disclaimer."

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?



 
 
 

What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

Post by Ravi Krishn » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:46:15


Sure. Scripts are meant for sharing :-)

John: You are dead right about HPL download speed. I created a
test table with 900000 rows.

Dbaccess (unload to) took 1 min 20 secs.
HPL onpload too 23 secs.

Canyone tell the reason why HPL download is so fast.
I no why it is fast for loading. Because the express mode
bypasses buffers and writes directly to extents.
But what did Informix do to download.

Ravi
-----

----- Original Message -----


Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 10:31 AM
Subject: RE: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> Hi Ravi

> If I may be so forward as to ask. Would you please forward your script to
me
> also
> I would appreciate it very much.

> Thanking you in advance

> Leon

> -----Original Message-----

> Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 4:53 PM


> Subject: Re: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> Basheer,

> I am in the midst of changing my tool myonpload which gives
> a command line interface to HPL. So far it did only upload.
> Now I am adding download to it.

> A simple command

> myonpload -d database -t table -i file.unl -l /opt/log
> will upload data into the table using onpload.

> And
> myonpload -d database -t table -o file.unl -l /opt/log
> will download it.

> I compared dbaccess (unload to select *) vs onpload
> download and onpload is MUCH faster.

> I will send you the script by tomorrow.

> Ravi.
> ----- Original Message -----



> Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 1:38 PM
> Subject: RE: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> > Probably unload / load ASCII . . . .  I'd recommend the HPL to handle
that
> > aspect; even in ASCII load / unload it's still faster the SQL load /
> unload.

> > -----Original Message-----

> > Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 12:34 PM


> > Subject: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> > What is the best way to migrate/move the database

> >  From
> >   UP-UX Informix V 7.31 DB Size 12 GB

> >  To AIX 4.3 Informix 9.x

> > Thanks
> > Basheer Azeemuddin
> > IS Manager
> > K&R Express Systems, Inc.
> > Burr Ridge, IL 60521
> > Ph..  (630)-323-3230 X3269, 1-800-347-5671
> > Fax: (630)-323-4349
> > www.knrq.com

> > "CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message originates from WHSmith USA Travel
> > Retail. This email message and all attachments may contain legally
> > privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of
the
> > addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you should immediately
> > stop reading this message and delete it from the system. Any
unauthorized
> > reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its
> > attachments is strictly prohibited. All personal messages express solely
> the
> > sender's views and not those of WHSmith USA Travel Retail. This message
> may
> > not be copied or distributed without this disclaimer."

> _________________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?


_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

 
 
 

What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

Post by Jack Parke » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:49:56


Light scan

cheers
j.

----- Original Message -----



Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> Sure. Scripts are meant for sharing :-)

> John: You are dead right about HPL download speed. I created a
> test table with 900000 rows.

> Dbaccess (unload to) took 1 min 20 secs.
> HPL onpload too 23 secs.

> Canyone tell the reason why HPL download is so fast.
> I no why it is fast for loading. Because the express mode
> bypasses buffers and writes directly to extents.
> But what did Informix do to download.

> Ravi
> -----
> ----- Original Message -----


> Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 10:31 AM
> Subject: RE: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> > Hi Ravi

> > If I may be so forward as to ask. Would you please forward your script
to
> me
> > also
> > I would appreciate it very much.

> > Thanking you in advance

> > Leon

> > -----Original Message-----

> > Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 4:53 PM


> > Subject: Re: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> > Basheer,

> > I am in the midst of changing my tool myonpload which gives
> > a command line interface to HPL. So far it did only upload.
> > Now I am adding download to it.

> > A simple command

> > myonpload -d database -t table -i file.unl -l /opt/log
> > will upload data into the table using onpload.

> > And
> > myonpload -d database -t table -o file.unl -l /opt/log
> > will download it.

> > I compared dbaccess (unload to select *) vs onpload
> > download and onpload is MUCH faster.

> > I will send you the script by tomorrow.

> > Ravi.
> > ----- Original Message -----



> > Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 1:38 PM
> > Subject: RE: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> > > Probably unload / load ASCII . . . .  I'd recommend the HPL to handle
> that
> > > aspect; even in ASCII load / unload it's still faster the SQL load /
> > unload.

> > > -----Original Message-----

> > > Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 12:34 PM


> > > Subject: What is the Best Way to Migrate from HP-UX to AIX

> > > What is the best way to migrate/move the database

> > >  From
> > >   UP-UX Informix V 7.31 DB Size 12 GB

> > >  To AIX 4.3 Informix 9.x

> > > Thanks
> > > Basheer Azeemuddin
> > > IS Manager
> > > K&R Express Systems, Inc.
> > > Burr Ridge, IL 60521
> > > Ph..  (630)-323-3230 X3269, 1-800-347-5671
> > > Fax: (630)-323-4349
> > > www.knrq.com

> > > "CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message originates from WHSmith USA
Travel
> > > Retail. This email message and all attachments may contain legally
> > > privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of
> the
> > > addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
immediately
> > > stop reading this message and delete it from the system. Any
> unauthorized
> > > reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its
> > > attachments is strictly prohibited. All personal messages express
solely
> > the
> > > sender's views and not those of WHSmith USA Travel Retail. This
message
> > may
> > > not be copied or distributed without this disclaimer."

> > _________________________________________________________
> > Do You Yahoo!?

> _________________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?