How to print graphs in reports?

Post by Paul Rober » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

A friend of mine wants to know how he might be able to print real graphs
in 4GL (or maybe ACE) reports. That is, his database is full of numerical
engineering data, and he'd like to be able to plot graphs in his reports
to display those data.

Is there any way to do this? Obviously one can plot "ascii graphs" like
this...

xxxx
xxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxx
xxxx
xxx

but I am pretty sure that he needs better resolution than this. Is it
feasible to have the report output be a postscript file? I imagine this
would mean figuring out all the control characters/commands in postscript
and having the report print them all out.

I feel that many many people must have needed to do things like this in
the past, and I wonder how they did it? Thanks in advance for any hints ...

Paul

How to print graphs in reports?

Post by Malcolm Weallan » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I wouldn't even think about doing this in 4GL or SQL reports.  You need
to get the data into a spreadsheet (Wingz possibly, or even Excel) and
process the data there.  It depends on how often you are doing this, is
it one off, or as part of a system.  I quite often use SQL or 4GL to
produce a file to be loaded into a spreadsheet for processing.  It beats
networking based solutions every time.

Quote:> > A friend of mine wants to know how he might be able to print real
graphs
> in 4GL (or maybe ACE) reports. That is, his database is full of
> numericalengineering data, and he'd like to be able to plot graphs in
> his reportsto display those data.
> > Is there any way to do this? Obviously one can plot "ascii graphs"
like > this...
> > xxxx
> xxxxx
> xxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxx
> xxxx
> xxxx
> xxx
> > but I am pretty sure that he needs better resolution than this. Is

it > feasible to have the report output be a postscript file? I imagine
this

Quote:> would mean figuring out all the control characters/commands in
> postscriptand having the report print them all out.
> > I feel that many many people must have needed to do things like this
in
> the past, and I wonder how they did it? Thanks in advance for any hints
> > Paul

Malcolm Weallans
Online Database Consultancy
Phone 0628-72154
Fax 0628-37463
CIX - onlinedbc

How to print graphs in reports?

Post by James Fisch » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

wrote in reply to Paul:

Quote:>I wouldn't even think about doing this in 4GL or SQL reports.

        I would, Malcom.  As a matter of fact, I have!!

        Many moons ago, long before HTML and the
        World-Wide-Waste-Of-Wesources, Unix systems
        had a graphics package called "pic".  This was an
        add-on to troff/nroff/mm, and it used the same sort
        of plaintext (ASCII) commands as troff/nroff/mm.

        Pic (and the others) had postscript drivers long
        before any silly little toys like PCs were even
        sold!  Bettery yet, they had a wide array of printers
        that they could print on, due to the natural support
        for the strange and unusual built-in or added onto
        Unix.  (Anyone remember the APS-5 Phototypesetter?
        How about Compugraphic Typesetters?).

        Now, if we wanted a graph, we would write a report
        that would output the data as parameters to the proper
        pic commands to produce the (for example bar) graph.

        This was NOT easy, but it looked great.

        One can come close to this today if one uses the DEC
        VT-100 (ANSI) extended line drawing set.  Yes, one CAN
        do onscreen graphics (primitive, but better than nothing)
        with plain old Informix 4GL

        If anyone wants any detailed questions answered about this,
        e-mail me.

        [tactical * weed-eater used to remove Malcom's
                suggestion about using spreadsheets, even
                though Malcom will get pretty >>color<< results
                with half the effort...]

Quote:>>  A friend of mine wants to know how he might be able to print real
>> graphs  in 4GL (or maybe ACE) reports. That is, his database is full of
>> numericalengineering data, and he'd like to be able to plot graphs in
>>  his reportsto display those data.
>>  Is there any way to do this? Obviously one can plot "ascii graphs"
>> like  this...

        [tacky "ascii graph" snipped by good-taste dameon]

Quote:>> but I am pretty sure that he needs better resolution than this. Is
>> it  feasible to have the report output be a postscript file? I imagine
>> this  would mean figuring out all the control characters/commands in
>> postscriptand having the report print them all out.
>>  I feel that many many people must have needed to do things like this
>>  in  the past, and I wonder how they did it? Thanks in advance for any hints
>> > Paul

   Make peace with your Enemy.  With whom ELSE can you make peace?

                                      The Information Supercollider
                                      Split infinitives, not atoms!

1. How to print graphs in reports?

We used a program called "Grafsman", which can be graph-ted onto a 4GL
application.  It uses SQL-generated datasets and has a pretty nice set
of canned graphs and options.  It is designed specifically to work with
(among others) Informix.   The 4gl we wrote around it to build the
user query and save results (data sets and graphic printouts) was fairly
torturous, and in the end we chose to implement the new PC-based set of
tools (such as Intersolv's Q+E coupled with MS Excel.)

The last address I have for Grafsman is:
        Soft.tek International
        1999 N. Amidon, Suite 340
        Wichata, Kansas 67203
        USA

        (316) 838-7200

Have fun,
     |         Clem Akins                 Standard Disclaimers Apply  |
     |Reynolds Metals Co, Alloys Plant     "Climb High, Cave Deep!"   |

     |________________________________________________________________|

2. Same question but no answer yet

3. VFP help - printing OLE graph in report

4. pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/plpgsql.sgml oc/src/ ...

5. Printing Access reports or using Access to print/preview reports

6. col() help needed

7. Code report print <> Manual report print

8. Q: Printing Graphs in Landscape

9. How to print a graph made with the MSChart control

10. How do I print Graphs from my RDBMS ?

11. Pdox45 - Printing graphs

12. Paradox 7 : Printing Graph to File (.BMP / .GIF)??