Error -922

Post by Jeff Raihana » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Version: Informix SE 5.0
Platform: SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 (Unix)

I can't figure out why I keep getting error -922 (cannot get name of current
working directory).

I created a new user account (permission is 644 on files and 755 on home
directory).  Ownership and group is set properly.  Connect privileges have
been granted to the new user.  When I try to access the database, I get
the -922 error.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  It seems to
occur whenever I create a new account or new subdirectory within an account.
Somehow, I eventually find a way to work around it (deleting and recreating
the login directory worked once before, but not this time).  The funny thing
is that I can cd to the /tmp directory and access the database just fine.  I
can cd into another user's home directory and access the database from the
new account just fine too.

Last week, this happened when I created a subdirectory from a user's home
directory.  In the subdirectory, I got the -922 if I tried to run isql.  In
the parent directory, isql worked just fine.  The permissions for the sub
and parent directories are IDENTICAL.  Now, here's the weird part: IF I
RENAMED THE SUBDIRECTORY TO AN EXISTING USER, IT WORKED FINE.  AS SOON AS I
RENAMED IT BACK, I GOT THE -922.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so I
did this several times.  (In this real-life example, parent directory is
/u/nbhc (nbhc has DBA privileges).  When subdirectory was /u/nbhc/tiff, I
got -922.  When it's /u/nbhc/tiffany, I don't get -922 (tiffany is one of
our user accounts).  When I set it back to /u/nbhc/tiff, the -922 came back.
When I changed the name again to /u/nbhc/wendy (wendy is an account too), it
worked again.)  All the directories have the same permissions.

Can anyone tell me why I get this error and what I can do to fix it?  Thanks
very, very much in advance for your help.

Jeff Raihanan
Information Systems Director
Network Behavi*HealthCare, Inc.

Error -922

Post by David William » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Version: Informix SE 5.0
>Platform: SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 (Unix)

>I can't figure out why I keep getting error -922 (cannot get name of current
>working directory).

>I created a new user account (permission is 644 on files and 755 on home
>directory).  Ownership and group is set properly.  Connect privileges have

  Home directory is 755 hence not writeable by anyone outside the
  owner's primary group. Bet this is not informix, or the user is not
  in group informix.

Quote:>been granted to the new user.  When I try to access the database, I get
>the -922 error.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  It seems to
>occur whenever I create a new account or new subdirectory within an account.
>Somehow, I eventually find a way to work around it (deleting and recreating
>the login directory worked once before, but not this time).  The funny thing
>is that I can cd to the /tmp directory and access the database just fine.  I
>can cd into another user's home directory and access the database from the
>new account just fine too.

  Check group's, which group both users belong to, the group on the
directory and whether any are group informix!!

--
David Williams

Maintainer of the Informix FAQ
 Primary site (Beta Version)  http://www.veryComputer.com/
 Official site                http://www.veryComputer.com/

I see you standin', Standin' on your own, It's such a lonely place for you, For
you to be If you need a shoulder, Or if you need a friend, I'll be here
standing, Until the bitter end...
So don't chastise me Or think I, I mean you harm...
All I ever wanted Was for you To know that I care

Error -922

----------

Sent:  Tuesday, January 27, 1998 9:46 AM

Subject:  Error -922

Version: Informix SE 5.0
Platform: SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 (Unix)

I can't figure out why I keep getting error -922 (cannot get name of current
working directory).

Presumably because the directory permissions somewhere in the directory hierarchy
are not set correctly.  The details vary depending on exactly who you are, but generally,
'others' need read and execute (search) permission on all the directories from root down
to where the database directory will be created.  If you don't have those permissions,
then something will fail.  This is necessary because the sqlexec process runs with the
effective GID set to Informix,  If the home directory is NFS-mounted, then the fact that
sqlexec also runs some of the time with effective UID set to root means that it cannot
necessarily do anything, because root-access gets mapped to user 'nobody'.

I created a new user account (permission is 644 on files and 755 on home
directory).  Ownership and group is set properly.  Connect privileges have
been granted to the new user.

What are the permissions on the directory containing the home directory.
Are the directories on an NFS-mounted file system.

When I try to access the database, I get
the -922 error.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  It seems to
occur whenever I create a new account or new subdirectory within an account.
Somehow, I eventually find a way to work around it (deleting and recreating
the login directory worked once before, but not this time).  The funny thing
is that I can cd to the /tmp directory and access the database just fine.

That's normal; everyone has rwx permission on /tmp.

I can cd into another user's home directory and access the database from the
new account just fine too.

If the other user can access the database, then the setup is OK; the new account is not
setup OK and causes problems.

[...]

Unless I saw the permissions on each and every directory from root downwards,
I won't attempt to interpret what you saw.  I'd also need to know what the real and
effective UID and GID of the person running the commands are.  I'd also want to
see the permissions on the path leading to $INFORMIXDIR.

Can anyone tell me why I get this error and what I can do to fix it?  Thanks
very, very much in advance for your help.

1. SE 7.2: Error 922

We're running HP-UX 10.20 and Informix SE 7.2.  If I "cd" to an NFS directory,
and run any Informix application (dbaccess, isql, ESQL/C programs, etc.) I get
the following error:
922: Cannot get name of current working directory.

Why is this?  How do I fix this?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
--

"What is understood need not be discussed." - Loren Adams

2. PROVIDER for INGRES

3. error 922

4. Blob with JDBC

5. Error 922 on Informix running on Linux

6. Error 922

7. Error -922 with Informix SE 5.00 & SCO Unix

8. why 922 error?

9. More on -922 error

10. SQL String of 922-926 characters fails using ADO and ODBC

11. -922 under linux?