Phonetic searching algorithms

Post by Axel Granho » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:23:22

Does anyone have experience writing phonetic search algorithms for I4GL (or ESQL/C)

I am interested in any ideas / source code.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Jack Park » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 03:58:07

> Does anyone have experience writing phonetic search algorithms for I4GL (or ESQL/C)

> I am interested in any ideas / source code.

> Thanks in advance.

Check into the geneology groups.  They do that sort of thing a lot.  They
use a 'soundex' system.  Essentially they assign a value to the sound of
each name.  This value starts with the first letter, and then three digits
which index the 'sound-alike' quality of either the following syllables or
letters - I'm not sure.  I know there is a table for conversions to/from
this system somewhere.  Bob Beaulieu (sp?), of EZ Travel, who used to post
here quite frequently probably knows more.

It would be interesting to see what you come up with.

cheers
j.
Jack Parker - Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA

He who lives by the keyboard, dies by the keyboard.  >thud<
   Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employers.

Post by Paul Nail » Sat, 28 Jan 1995 00:19:25

>> Does anyone have experience writing phonetic search algorithms for I4GL
(or ESQL/C)
>[snip]
>Check into the geneology groups.  They do that sort of thing a lot.  They
>use a 'soundex' system.
>Jack Parker - Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA
>[snip snip]

Many months ago I needed soundex code. I contacted Informix here in the U.K.,
who sent sent me a floppy disk with 4GL, ESQL/C and C versions. I can't
remember whether I talked to their sales office or the support desk.

If you're still stuck for code, email me and I'll see if I can find that disk.

Paul

All opinions expressed here are my own and not BT's

Post by Martin Allr » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 01:48:17

>Does anyone have experience writing phonetic search algorithms for I4GL (or ESQL/C)

>I am interested in any ideas / source code.

>Thanks in advance.

At the last place I worked we did up some rather nice code that found
the word closest to the one you were looking for. It was all in C, but
it could be converted. I got it out of C User's Journal from a few years
ago. There was an article that gave several different methods. The one
we used did have a bug in it in the source code in the magazine, but it
wasn't that hard to find.

This wasn't a phonetic thing, but it was configurable as to how much
weight to give to different likenesses. We used it in a popup menu
application. The list of choices could be really long, so if the user
knew what they wanted they could start typing it. As they typed, the
closest fit word would be highlighted. As soon as they found the one
they wanted, they could just hit return. This would find the word even
if they didn't spell it quite right. Which was rather common.

I can dig up the article ( I think I know approximately which one of
the boxes in the garage that I haven't unpacked yet is the right one)
and give you some more info.

Martin

Phonetic searching algorithms

Post by SFid » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 22:58:32

I have a C routine which does phonetic string comparisions. I got it
sometime
back from one magazine. In my previous job, I used it in prototype. It
worked fine. They claim that it is far superior than soundex. If you or
anybody need a copy let me know.

Sadru Fidai

Phonetic searching algorithms

Post by Robert Mint » Thu, 02 Feb 1995 00:13:04

From Martin Allred:
<<Stuff Deleted>>
*
* I can dig up the article ( I think I know approximately which one of
* the boxes in the garage that I haven't unpacked yet is the right one)
* and give you some more info.

I would like to take a look, also.

Thanks,

         Robert Minter             |Data Systems Support|         \\\_///
Programmer, Software Development   |     Orange, CA     |         ( _ _ )

De Colores - Emmaus OC-13          | Fax: 714.771.3028  |          \`-'/
#include <disclaimer.h>                                  SURF'S UP  \_/