Onconfig - blocksize

Post by Thomas Dederich » Sat, 26 May 2001 22:15:10

Hello,

I want to restore an database with ontape -r. Every time I get this error:

Please mount tape 1 on /dev/rmt/c0s0n and press Return to continue ...

Archive Tape Information

Tape type:      Archive Backup Tape
Online version: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC7
Archive date:   Fri May 25 14:53:23 2001
User id:        root
Terminal id:    ?
Archive level:  0
Tape device:    /dev/rmt/c0s0n
Tape blocksize (in k): 20
Tape size (in k): 1363100
Tape number in series: 1
Continue restore? (y/n)y

Spaces to restore:1 [rootdbs           ]
Physical restore failed - function read archive backup failed code -1 errno
5

Program over.
-------------------------

I think I use a wrong blocksize - but witch one is correct?
I use an HP Surestore dat8 on a SCO Unixware 7.1 (Where can I get more
information about blocksizes for other streamer?)

Thanks for help.

Thomas Dederichs

Onconfig - blocksize

Post by rhal » Sat, 26 May 2001 23:33:58

Since 20K is the block size used by your archive, as evidenced by the header
information diplayed, that is the size you will need to set in onconfig to do
your restore. Your tape device should have no problem with it.

> Archive Tape Information

> Tape type:      Archive Backup Tape
> Online version: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC7
> Archive date:   Fri May 25 14:53:23 2001
> User id:        root
> Terminal id:    ?
> Archive level:  0
> Tape device:    /dev/rmt/c0s0n
> Tape blocksize (in k): 20
> Tape size (in k): 1363100
> Tape number in series: 1
> Continue restore? (y/n)y

> Spaces to restore:1 [rootdbs           ]
> Physical restore failed - function read archive backup failed code -1 errno
> 5

> Program over.

Onconfig - blocksize

Post by Thomas Dederich » Sat, 26 May 2001 23:40:41

I had set the blocksize of 20K in the onconfig before I've done the backup.
But the recover doesn't work now.
What means the error messages?

Quote:>Since 20K is the block size used by your archive, as evidenced by the

Post by Uwe Webe » Sat, 26 May 2001 23:49:21

> Hello,

> I want to restore an database with ontape -r. Every time I get this error:

> Please mount tape 1 on /dev/rmt/c0s0n and press Return to continue ...

> Archive Tape Information

> Tape type:      Archive Backup Tape
> Online version: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC7
> Archive date:   Fri May 25 14:53:23 2001
> User id:        root
> Terminal id:    ?
> Archive level:  0
> Tape device:    /dev/rmt/c0s0n
> Tape blocksize (in k): 20
> Tape size (in k): 1363100
> Tape number in series: 1
> Continue restore? (y/n)y

> Spaces to restore:1 [rootdbs           ]
> Physical restore failed - function read archive backup failed code -1
> errno 5

> Program over.
> -------------------------

> I think I use a wrong blocksize - but witch one is correct?
> I use an HP Surestore dat8 on a SCO Unixware 7.1 (Where can I get more
> information about blocksizes for other streamer?)

Hmmmm,
edit your $ONCONFIG and modify [L]TAPEDEV to:   yourhost:/dev/rmt/c0s0n
You should be able to "rlogin" onto your machine, of course.

Regards
Uwe

--
Uwe Weber                               Informix Software
Trainer Central Europe                  Oskar-Messter-Stra?e 22

Onconfig - blocksize

Post by rhal » Sun, 27 May 2001 15:43:39

> Hmmmm,
> edit your $ONCONFIG and modify [L]TAPEDEV to:   yourhost:/dev/rmt/c0s0n
> You should be able to "rlogin" onto your machine, of course.

That's definitely worth a try. ( And of course the usual things like verifying
you have the proper size/number of dbs, etc.) We had experienced this ontape
bug. It was fixed (for us), but now that I think about it, the fix was a
modified ontape that Informix provided. We first encoutered this bug when we
went from UC5 to UC6.

Onconfig - blocksize

Post by Arana Tavir » Mon, 28 May 2001 01:18:18

Hi Thomas

try "tapecntl -v /dev/rmt/c0s0n" ,so the tape can take in variable block
lengths, before re-attempting ontape -r again

[...]

1. NT Blocksize Vs Oracle Blocksize

In preparation to setup Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0, I am trying to find
information on what would be an optimal value to use for the NT block
size.  When NT formats the boot drive, by default it assigns 512 bytes /
sector and 8 sectors / cluster.  Additional drives can formatted with a
default allocation size of 512 thru 4096 which ends up being 1 to 8
sectors per cluster.  From what I read in this newsgroup, it appears
that 4K or 8K Oracle blocksizes are the way to go.  I would like to get
some feedback from NT DBAs who could help me answer these questions:
Is the NT cluster size and the NT  blocksize synonomous?  What cluster
size is recommended for a 4K or 8K Oracle blocksize?  During the NT
installation, how can one format the C drive as an NTFS volume with a
default allocation size other that 512?  Are there any  Oracle for NT
books (or platform related documentation)  that discusses these types of
issues?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Don Hall

2. Oracle and Sun LWPs

3. setting db blocksize and vxfs blocksize

4. OPal modulus division and substring methods

5. recommended Blocksize for SQL Server 7.0

6. Importing Access data in SS7

7. backup, SQL 7.0 servers, BSOD, BLOCKSIZE etc - solution

8. Taking log archive using Visual Basic.

9. What blocksize?

10. What is a good blocksize to use.

11. OS Blocksize on different Disks

12. change blocksize during Oracle8 install?

13. An oldie on Blocksize and Performance?