ODBC from SE-7 on SCO to MS SQL Serv on NT?

ODBC from SE-7 on SCO to MS SQL Serv on NT?

Post by Matt Brickle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Environment:
SCO OpenServer 5.04, Informix SE 7.23, 4GL v6.04
NT 4, MS SQL Server 6.5

Is it possible for a 4gl program on SCO with SE to make an ODBC call and
read
data from the SQL Server database on NT?

I use Informix CLI on the NT side to read the SE database on SCO, but
want to go
the other way also.

Thanks in Advance
Matt Brickley

ODBC from SE-7 on SCO to MS SQL Serv on NT?

Post by Nils Myklebu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Wed, 02 Sep 1998 09:40:17 -0400, Matt Brickley

>Environment:
>SCO OpenServer 5.04, Informix SE 7.23, 4GL v6.04
>NT 4, MS SQL Server 6.5

>Is it possible for a 4gl program on SCO with SE to make an ODBC call and
>read
>data from the SQL Server database on NT?

>I use Informix CLI on the NT side to read the SE database on SCO, but
>want to go
>the other way also.

This is possible, but there are some requirements:

1. You have to have an ODBC driver for MS SQL Server with an available
client for SCO. OpenLink has that. Check out http://www.openlinksw.com
Check their Multi Tier drivers for availability. The client on SCO is
what the call UDBC. That's essentially ODBC for Unix.

2. You have to write C-functions that you call from your 4GL program.
These C-functions would connect via ODBC to the MS SQL Server, execute
the sql and return any data to your 4GL application.
I don't write C programs so I don't know how hard it would be, but
shouldn't be too difficult.

Nils Myklebust
NM Data AS
Norway

FAQ at: http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/faq_top.html
(Now with ODBC info under "Third party products".)