INFORMIX 4.1 to INFORMIX 7.X migration issues

INFORMIX 4.1 to INFORMIX 7.X migration issues

Post by Nils Myklebu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:
:Dear all,
:         We have currently the following informix setup :
:         INFORMIX EMBEDDED SQL for C Version 7.10.UC1
:         Copyright (C) 1984-1994 Informix Software, Inc.
:         INFORMIX-4GL Version 6.01.UD2
:         Copyright (C) 1984-1994 Informix Software, Inc.
:         INFORMIX-SQL Version 6.01.UD1
:         Copyright (C) 1984-1994 Informix Software, Inc.
:         INFORMIX-OnLine Dynamic Server Version 7.13.UC3
:         Copyright (C) 1986-1996 Informix Software, Inc

These are old versions that have many known defects. You should
upgrade to newer versions. That may require a newer OS though.
:
:         In addition to this we have an
:
:         OS HP-UX hotsy A.09.04 E 9000/867 445345261 8-user license

Is A.09.04 the version of the OS? Isn't this a little old? Is an
upgrade to a newer version possible?

:         which is running on an H40 machine.
:
:         We have ported a product from Informix 4.1 to the above configuration
:         but we are getting runtime errors.
:         eg. While fetching an a column from the database fetches a null value.
:         When we display a form after a fresh entry is inserted into the
:         database the software gives "BUS ERROR " in one of the informix
:         routines.

In 4GL a "BUS ERROR" is sumtimes related to a bad termcap/terminfo
definition.

:         When we display some information from the table to a forms
:         gives runtime erorr (-404  Cursor not defined ).

My finderr 404 gives the following result (for version 5 and up of the
engine):
-404    The cursor or statement is not available.

This statement names a cursor which has been released with
the FREE statement. Review the program logic and make
sure that the cursor specified is declared and opened, but
not freed, prior to reaching this statement.

This might be helpfull to find the error. Remember the use of free has
changed in newer releases of 4GL (and probably ESQL/C, but I don't
know that product).

:         I would be highly obliged if any one could gives us a clue on this
:         problems.
:
:         Awaiting a reply.
:
:         Thanks to you all in advance
:         Siva

NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway
My opinions are those of my company
The Informix FAQ is at http://www.iiug.org

1. Informix 4.10 Upgrade & Informix ODBC Issues

We need ODBC communications from Windows apps to
Informix 4.10 running on Unix V Rel 4 Ver 3.

What is the best approach:

1) Informix supplied solution

    What is required on the server side?

    What is required on the client side?

    Do they support their own version 4.10?

2) Third party drivers

    Which companies support version 4.10 of Informix?

    What pieces do we need to buy (client side, server side)?

3) Upgrade Informix

    What is involved?

    How much does it cost typically when keeping the same number of users?

    Which version can we get by with least cost/complexity
    that still supports easy and reliable ODBC communications?

BTW, is there any FAQ, white paper, web site, etc. that deals with
the issues of either Informix ODBC communications or Informix upgrades?

2. Tama?o de un MDB

3. informix files??/informix with tuxedo/data migration issues

4. USA-FL-Oracle DBA

5. Can i connect informix sdk client for windows to informix 4.1

6. Query.ReadFromFile

7. Stored queries under INFORMIX 4.00 or INFORMIX 4.10

8. JOB well executed...but not well working...

9. Informix-CLI 2.8 and Informix Online 4.10