Informix Mailing List moving today

Post by Walt Hultgr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

       *** IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE INFORMIX MAILING LIST ***

Today, January 27, at approximately 2:00 PM Eastern US Time (19:00 GMT),
the Informix Mailing List will move from the system rmy.emory.edu to the
home system for the International Informix Users Group, iiug.org.  The
IP number for iiug.org is 206.175.175.254.

The list will be maintained on iiug.org by the automated mailing list
management software package Majordomo.  Included at the bottom of this
announcement are instructions for using Majordomo.

Of course, nothing is ever completely automatic.  The list will still
require some administration.  Three frequent contributors to the
informix-list/comp.databases.informix forum have volunteered to share
administrator duties:  Paul Watson, Billy Wheeler and David Williams.
They will have help from Mike Reetz, the IIUG Postmaster.

If you need to contact one of these folks regarding the list, the best

be a rotation of duties.

The list will continue to be gatewayed with comp.databases.informix, and
will be using news service graciously donated by Xmission.com.  We have
tested the new gateway to the extent that we can without going live, but
if some glitch pops up when we first switch over, please bear with us.

Guess that's about it.  I'll post another message when it appears that
the move has been made successfully.

Thanks,

Walt.

    subscribe informix-list

If you want to subscribe an address different from the one from which you
send your request, place the address to be added to the list as a third
parameter on the "subscribe" line above.  Do *not* include your real name
after your address as you would with a LISTSERV list.

To remove your address from the list, send the message:

    unsubscribe informix-list

the one from which you send your request, place the address to be removed
from the list as a third parameter on the "unsubscribe" line.

Placing your subscribe or unsubscribe request in the Subject line will not
cause any action, since Majordomo ignores the Subject line on all messages.
If your mailer automatically appends a signature block to your outgoing
e-mail, add a second line consisting of the word "end" to your message.

For more details, send a message consisting of the word "help" to the

have been disabled.

Emory University              UUCP: {...,gatech,rutgers,uunet}!emory!rmy!walt

Atlanta, GA  30329  USA      Voice: +1 404 727 0648

1. Informix Mailing List (informix-list) moving

There are some changes in store for the Informix Mailing List that will
be occurring over the next few weeks.  I am posting this announcement
to informix-list and comp.databases.informix since both forums will be
affected.

The most significant change is that informix-list will be moving from
the system rmy.emory.edu to iiug.org, the home site of the International

This move will be automatic.  Current list members will not have to do
anything to move their addresses.  Once the move is made, you'll have
to post to the different address of course, but I'll let you know when
that happens.

A second change related to the move is that informix-list will be placed
under control of the Majordomo mailing list management software package.
This means that people who want to subscribe/unsubscribe to/from the list

corresponding with yours truly.  I'll post more details about this later.

The list will continue to be gatewayed with comp.databases.informix.
However, news service will be provided as a free sponsorship to IIUG by
the generous folks at xmission.com, instead of by the generous folks at
the Math/CS Department of Emory University who have been doing it since
the list's inception in 1991.

There will be other changes that you may notice.  Messages will no longer
be tagged with Informix-List-ID's, and message headers will no longer
contain "X-Informix-List-ID" lines.  Gatewayed messages will have
"X-List-Gateway:" header lines listing their source, either "informix-list"
or "comp.databases.informix".

If you are now making use of the "X-Informix-List-ID" header lines to
route or filter your e-mail, you should be able to make similar use of

be part of each message coming from the list.

Mike Reetz and I will be working to phase in these changes over the next
couple of weeks.  The first step will be to complete the testing of the
mail-to-news gateway, which will begin Monday, July 7.  We'll keep you
posted on our progress.

That's about it for now.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Walt.

--

Emory University              UUCP: {...,gatech,rutgers,uunet}!emory!rmy!walt

Atlanta, GA  30329  USA      Voice: +1 404 727 0648

2. HELP: Filemaker Pro Relationship dilemma?

3. Informix Jobs Mail List >>Join our mail list

4. Feature request for the MVPs

5. Reorg Partitioned TS

6. Informix Mailing List has moved - Part 2

7. Informix Mailing List has moved

8. Informix mailing list moving

9. Informix Contract from A1A Informix Jobs Mail List

10. Informix DBA F/T Position from Informix Jobs Mail List

11. Informix Contract from A1A Informix Jobs Mail List