Dump to a floppy?

Post by Jim Lew » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Anyone know how to dump a database to a floppy on Sybase 11.9.1 and
Suse 6.2 Linux -- just what the dump database command should look
like?

We've created a Sybase dump device for /dev/fd0, as a disk device, but
the dump database ... to floppy01 command trips up on an "unknown
volume name" error.

TIA.

Dump to a floppy?

Post by Mark A. Parson » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyone know how to dump a database to a floppy on Sybase 11.9.1 and
> Suse 6.2 Linux -- just what the dump database command should look
> like?

Haven't worked on Linux so take this FWIW ...

Quote:> We've created a Sybase dump device for /dev/fd0, as a disk device, but
> the dump database ... to floppy01 command trips up on an "unknown
> volume name" error.

1) can you dump to disk or tape ok?

2) can you post the dump command?  (along with the full text of the error
message)

3) is it possible to define a file system on the floppy and dump to the
file system?  (OK, so this is probably real ignorant ... but would it be
as simple as dumping to "a:\mydb.dump"?)

--
Mark A. Parsons

Dump to a floppy?

Post by Jim Lew » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> Anyone know how to dump a database to a floppy on Sybase 11.9.1 and
>> Suse 6.2 Linux -- just what the dump database command should look
>> like?
>Haven't worked on Linux so take this FWIW ...
>> We've created a Sybase dump device for /dev/fd0, as a disk device, but
>> the dump database ... to floppy01 command trips up on an "unknown
>> volume name" error.
>1) can you dump to disk or tape ok?
>2) can you post the dump command?  (along with the full text of the error
>message)
>3) is it possible to define a file system on the floppy and dump to the
>file system?  (OK, so this is probably real ignorant ... but would it be
>as simple as dumping to "a:\mydb.dump"?)
>--
>Mark A. Parsons

Thank you for your suggestions Mark.  I found out what I was doing
wrong.  I tried the dump again, but this time I included the "with
init" parm and the dump worked fine.  Leaving off the "with init" was
apparently the reason Sybase was prompting for a volume name.

Thanks again.

1. Dump to floppy in MS SQL Server - How?

Hi!

We just got MS SQL Server for NT a couple of weeks ago and are playing with it
a little. While everyting else has been smooth so far, I have come upon a
problem today:

Using SQL Administrator to dump to floppy just won't work. When I issue the
command, it says: Backup Error without ever trying to spin the floppy. I tried
both the built-in diskettedumpa and creating another device, but it won't
work. The manual clearly states that when using SQL Administrator GUI, it is
not necessary to run Console, but I tried both ways. Also tried it using
T-SQL, won't work either. It is also puzzling that the built-in devices claim
to be 1.2 meg (I have 3.5" drives), and my new device has **** for size (in
the devices window). I searched DevNet CD, but with no success.

Now stop laughing - I do not actually plan to dump to floppy, but I would like
to know how it works. Dumping to hard disk works, no problem. Did not get the
tape yet so I do not know about that.

Speaking of tapes - can you suggest a good tape drive for NT? I have Adaptec
15?? SCSI adapter. A couple of G DAT would be nice.

Thanks a lot, and please reply to this newsgroup, my mail is down all week.

Marko

PS: I've been lurking here for past couple of months, and I've learned a lot.
Thanks!

Marko Milisavljevic

Montreal, Canada

2. Access -> ODBC -> Sybase

3. Need help on BugCheck Dump\BEGIN STACK DUMP

4. Ref Cursor question

5. Help! Installing only DTS object model--doable?

6. 1 out of 5 Dumps Missing No. of Pages when List Dumps on Backup Tape Device

7. US-PA: Harrisburg-Oracle Forms Developer

8. 6.5 load specific dump from dump device

9. Need help on BugCheck Dump\BEGIN STACK DUMP

10. Transaction Log Dumping and DB Dumps

11. Problem: Transaction log dump bigger than entire database dump

12. Need help on BugCheck Dump\BEGIN STACK DUMP