"Rotated" Tables

Post by stev.. » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for info on "rotating" a row-oriented Name/Value table, so
that values in the Name column become columns in the "rotated"
table/view. What I have in mind is _similar_, but not exactly like, a
cross-tab.

Help thru the newsgroup, via e-mail, or pointers to online or offline
references will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

"Rotated" Tables

Post by Scott Gr » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

>I'm looking for info on "rotating" a row-oriented Name/Value table, so
>that values in the Name column become columns in the "rotated"
>table/view. What I have in mind is _similar_, but not exactly like, a
>cross-tab.

Check out the Sybase FAQ (http://reality.sgi.com/pablo/Sybase_FAQ)
and look into characteristic encoding (or point) functions.  The
stuff in the FAQ is a quick summarization of the topics covered
in Optimizing Transact SQL by Rosenstein, et al. available from
SQL Forum Press (a must read...it has some really phenominal tricks).

-scott
--

   http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh.html

"Rotated" Tables

Post by Pablo Sanch » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

> >I'm looking for info on "rotating" a row-oriented Name/Value table, so
> >that values in the Name column become columns in the "rotated"
> >table/view. What I have in mind is _similar_, but not exactly like, a
> >cross-tab.

> Check out the Sybase FAQ (http://reality.sgi.com/pablo/Sybase_FAQ)
> and look into characteristic encoding (or point) functions.  The
> stuff in the FAQ is a quick summarization of the topics covered
> in Optimizing Transact SQL by Rosenstein, et al. available from
> SQL Forum Press (a must read...it has some really phenominal tricks).

The stuff in the FAQ was axed and it wasn't a quick summarization of
R* et. al....  I was bullied by his publisher to cite them.  I
couldn't confirm or deny if they deserved the citation as I had
culled the information out of USENET.  They insisted and stated they
would pursue legal routes, therefore I axed it.
--

--------------+-----------------+--------------------------------------------

"Rotated" Tables

Post by Scott Gr » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

>> >I'm looking for info on "rotating" a row-oriented Name/Value table, so
>> >that values in the Name column become columns in the "rotated"
>> >table/view. What I have in mind is _similar_, but not exactly like, a
>> >cross-tab.

>> Check out the Sybase FAQ (http://reality.sgi.com/pablo/Sybase_FAQ)
>> and look into characteristic encoding (or point) functions.  The
>> stuff in the FAQ is a quick summarization of the topics covered
>> in Optimizing Transact SQL by Rosenstein, et al. available from
>> SQL Forum Press (a must read...it has some really phenominal tricks).

>The stuff in the FAQ was axed and it wasn't a quick summarization of
>R* et. al....  I was bullied by his publisher to cite them.  I
>couldn't confirm or deny if they deserved the citation as I had
>culled the information out of USENET.  They insisted and stated they
>would pursue legal routes, therefore I axed it.

That is really dissapointing to hear...especially since I know that
I have derived one or two of the functions before even hearing of
them.

I don't think I find it wrong that they were asking you to simply
add a citation (after all, their work is very useful), but I find
it very offensive to hear that they threatened legal action.  Kind
of makes me glad to hear that there is talk of adding a CASE statement
to SQL/Adaptive Server in the near future.

-scott
--

Post by Simon Walke » Sun, 04 May 1997 04:00:00

> The stuff in the FAQ was axed and it wasn't a quick summarization of
> R* et. al....  I was bullied by his publisher to cite them.  I
> couldn't confirm or deny if they deserved the citation as I had
> culled the information out of USENET.  They insisted and stated they
> would pursue legal routes, therefore I axed it.

You're kidding!  I've posted solutions using point characteristic
functions before now - and I've never read this book.  You couldn't mail
me the offending FAQ section could you?

Unless they can justify their actions a boycott of this title could be in
order methinks...

Quote:>> Optimizing Transact SQL by Rosenstein, et al. available from
>> SQL Forum Press

simon walker
The SQL Workshop, Milton Keynes, UK
www.sqlworkshop.com

"Rotated" Tables

Post by Pablo Sanch » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

> > The stuff in the FAQ was axed and it wasn't a quick summarization of
> > R* et. al....  I was bullied by his publisher to cite them.  I
> > couldn't confirm or deny if they deserved the citation as I had
> > culled the information out of USENET.  They insisted and stated they
> > would pursue legal routes, therefore I axed it.

> You're kidding!  I've posted solutions using point characteristic
> functions before now - and I've never read this book.  You couldn't mail
> me the offending FAQ section could you?

> Unless they can justify their actions a boycott of this title could be in
> order methinks...
> >> Optimizing Transact SQL by Rosenstein, et al. available from
> >> SQL Forum Press

Oh but it gets even better!  They *insisted* on getting the
aforementioned list of USENET clippings that I had on disk or *else*
they'd *also* pursue legal battle *against* me.  It was a witch
hunt.

After that, I said forget point characteristic functions et. al.
These guys are more stuck on protecting their (supposed?) copyright
than the good of the team...  anyway, I await the SQL CASE statement.

They did have the audacity to send me their book...  I think I used
it for kindling promptly after receipt.
--

--------------+-----------------+--------------------------------------------

"Rotated" Tables

Post by m » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

>> > The stuff in the FAQ was axed and it wasn't a quick summarization of
>> > R* et. al....  I was bullied by his publisher to cite them.  I
>> > couldn't confirm or deny if they deserved the citation as I had
>> > culled the information out of USENET.  They insisted and stated they
>> > would pursue legal routes, therefore I axed it.

>> You're kidding!  I've posted solutions using point characteristic
>> functions before now - and I've never read this book.  You couldn't mail
>> me the offending FAQ section could you?

>> Unless they can justify their actions a boycott of this title could be in
>> order methinks...

>Oh but it gets even better!  They *insisted* on getting the
>aforementioned list of USENET clippings that I had on disk or *else*
>they'd *also* pursue legal battle *against* me.  It was a witch
>hunt.

>After that, I said forget point characteristic functions et. al.
>These guys are more stuck on protecting their (supposed?) copyright
>than the good of the team...  anyway, I await the SQL CASE statement.

>They did have the audacity to send me their book...  I think I used
>it for kindling promptly after receipt.

Unbelievable.  I've never even heard of this book.  Anybody with the need
will have derived these functions already.  I thought it was basically
common knowledge.  Well, I know which book I won't be recommending for the
company library...

mc

"Rotated" Tables

Post by Simon Walke » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

> > > The stuff in the FAQ was axed and it wasn't a quick summarization of
> > > R* et. al....  I was bullied by his publisher to cite them.  I
> > > couldn't confirm or deny if they deserved the citation as I had
> > > culled the information out of USENET.  They insisted and stated they
> > > would pursue legal routes, therefore I axed it.

> > You're kidding!  I've posted solutions using point characteristic
> > functions before now - and I've never read this book.  You couldn't
> > mail me the offending FAQ section could you?  > > Unless they can
> > methinks...

> Oh but it gets even better!  They *insisted* on getting the
> aforementioned list of USENET clippings that I had on disk or *else*
> they'd *also* pursue legal battle *against* me.  It was a witch
> hunt.

> After that, I said forget point characteristic functions et. al.
> These guys are more stuck on protecting their (supposed?) copyright
> than the good of the team...  anyway, I await the SQL CASE statement.

> They did have the audacity to send me their book...  I think I used
> it for kindling promptly after receipt.
> --
> Pablo Sanchez | wk: 415.933.3812| pg: 800.930.5635 -or-

> --------------+-----------------+---------------------------------------
> -----

> > > The stuff in the FAQ was axed and it wasn't a quick summarization of
> > > R* et. al....  I was bullied by his publisher to cite them.  I
> > > couldn't confirm or deny if they deserved the citation as I had
> > > culled the information out of USENET.  They insisted and stated they
> > > would pursue legal routes, therefore I axed it.

> > You're kidding!  I've posted solutions using point characteristic
> > functions before now - and I've never read this book.  You couldn't
> > mail me the offending FAQ section could you?  > > Unless they can
> > methinks...

> Oh but it gets even better!  They *insisted* on getting the
> aforementioned list of USENET clippings that I had on disk or *else*
> they'd *also* pursue legal battle *against* me.  It was a witch
> hunt.

> After that, I said forget point characteristic functions et. al.
> These guys are more stuck on protecting their (supposed?) copyright
> than the good of the team...  anyway, I await the SQL CASE statement.

> They did have the audacity to send me their book...  I think I used
> it for kindling promptly after receipt.
> --

Unbelievable.  Who are the authors of this thing?  Does anyone know them?
Who do they work for?  Are they claiming to have invented point
characteristic functions?  Let's have a heated debate!

Cheers,

Post by Pablo Sanch » Thu, 22 May 1997 04:00:00

> [ Clayton's response snipped ]

Clayton and I did talk and I'm planning on putting his stuff into the
FAQ.  I personally extend a heartfelt thank you to Clayton...
--

--------------+-----------------+--------------------------------------------

1. How to rotate my table "letterwise"??

Hello all,

Here's a sample table:

Create Table test (
       title  varchar(6),
       letter varchar(100)
)
go
Insert into test values('apple', 'abcdefg')
Insert into test values('orange','hijklmn')
go

How can I get the following table by T-SQL?

letter   title
------------------
a        apple
b        apple
c        apple
d        apple
e        apple
f        apple
g        apple
h        orange
i        orange
j        orange
k        orange
l        orange
m        orange
n        orange

Jordan

2. Can't connect to Oracle 7.3.4 from 8.0.6

4. crosstab crystal report

5. ""URGENT "" Inserting "For xml explicit" results to a Temp table

6. Informix books - better than an FAQ

7. How to make a "decimal"-field to an "integer"-field

8. MySQL:JDBC - Invalid authorization

9. "."and ","

10. The ""string""

11. aReport."Field".SetFilter("this")?