Timestamp datatype

Post by Marco Pen » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:41:35

Hi all

Where can I find information on this datatype?, how is stored, how is
updated by the server, etc...

Thanks in advance...

Regards.

Carpe Diem

Timestamp datatype

Post by pabl » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:14:58

Quote:> Hi all

> Where can I find information on this datatype?, how is stored, how
is
> updated by the server, etc...

Most people (myself included when I first encountered it :) think that
this an actual 'date/time' value.  It's not.  This datatype is used by
the server to monotonically stamp rows within a time period.  What I
mean by this is that time stamp values _do_ rollover and you shouldn't
depend on uniqueness.

If you're looking for a 'time/date' stamp, you'll need to implement
your own.

Hope that helps.
--
-pablo

Timestamp datatype

Post by Marco Pen » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:53:49

thanks Pablo,

and what happens if I manually put a value, let's say 1, in that field?

> > Hi all

> > Where can I find information on this datatype?, how is stored, how
> is
> > updated by the server, etc...

> Most people (myself included when I first encountered it :) think that
> this an actual 'date/time' value.  It's not.  This datatype is used by
> the server to monotonically stamp rows within a time period.  What I
> mean by this is that time stamp values _do_ rollover and you shouldn't
> depend on uniqueness.

> If you're looking for a 'time/date' stamp, you'll need to implement
> your own.

> Hope that helps.
> --
> -pablo

     Carpe Diem

          Marco Otilio Pena Diaz

Timestamp datatype

Post by pabl » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:44:36

Quote:> thanks Pablo,

You're welcome.  :)

Quote:> and what happens if I manually put a value, let's say 1, in that

field?

You cannot, you'll get an error.
--
-pablo