dump tran with no_log and truncate_only

Post by Rajes » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:05:09

what is the difference between dump tran with no_log and dump tran with
truncate_only?

-Rp?

dump tran with no_log and truncate_only

Post by Karl Ritte » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:49:12

You should always use truncate_only. There are times when there is
absolutely no space left in the tran log, and you will have to use the
no_log option which truncates the tran log  but does not write into the
transaction log. A dump tran with truncate_only does write into the tran
log.

Karl

Quote:> what is the difference between dump tran with no_log and dump tran with
> truncate_only?

> -Rp?

1. Help - DUMP TRAN WITH NO_LOG and Transaction Log Free Space

I have a database in SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 3.  The transaction
log is filling up in a database.  I did the DUMP TRAN WITH NO_LOG, it
seems to have left me with some free space because I am able to do
transactions now, but Enterprise Manager is showing that it has no
free transaction log space.  Does Enterprise Manager show what you
actually have available, or do you have to do something else after a
DUMP to make sure you see the actual free transaction space?
Also what are some of the reasons that you run out of transaction log
space.

Thanks in advance

Bill Weiss

2. sql7.0 install problem

3. Dump Tran With NO_LOG does not work!

4. Using RECORD LIKE, SELECT *, etc.

5. Distribution tran wont dump with no_log

6. Need help with referencing fields within a construct

7. dump tran with no_log invalidates???

8. Converting varbinary in Shiloh (SQL Server 2000 Beta 2)

9. Dump Tran W No_Log and Not Immediately Backing Up

10. dump tran with no_log

11. backup log with truncate_only or no_log

12. TRUNCATE_ONLY, NO_LOG parameters

13. Transaction Log still full after Dum tran with no_log