Looking for command

Post by David Filio » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Is there a command in Sybase that is equivilent to the Oracle decode
command?  I want to avoid having to use a series of ifs or multiple
updates if possible.

Thanks!

Remember it's not broken, it's just missing duct tape.

Looking for command

Post by Bret Halfor » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Is there a command in Sybase that is equivilent to the Oracle decode
> command?  I want to avoid having to use a series of ifs or multiple
> updates if possible.

In ASE 11.5 and higher, the "CASE" statement can be used.  On all
versions, point characteristic functions can also often be used (do some
searching on www.deja.com for examples, or see Rozenshtein's book
"Optimizing Transact-SQL".

--
Bret Halford