Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by John Salv » Tue, 06 May 2003 10:16:02



I wanted to download and upgrade our installation of 32-bit ASE 12.5 to
12.5.0.3 ( Solaris 8 ). Never done this before so here it goes:

Now which one of the following do I download?

ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10972: 12.5.0.3 ESD #1          
ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10688: 12.5.0.3 IR

Am I correct in that "IR" means "International Release"?


which happens to be the same for both EBFs:

      The 12.5 GA version string is:

      Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5/SWR 9609 GA/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8/main
      /1647/32-bit/FBO/Sat Jun  2 00:49:20 2001

... which is exactly what I have.
Does that I mean I can just use either one of the two ?

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by Anthony Mandi » Tue, 06 May 2003 12:10:39



> I wanted to download and upgrade our installation of 32-bit ASE 12.5 to
> 12.5.0.3 ( Solaris 8 ). Never done this before so here it goes:

> Now which one of the following do I download?

> ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10972: 12.5.0.3 ESD #1
> ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10688: 12.5.0.3 IR

> Am I correct in that "IR" means "International Release"?

        No, it means Interim Release. The later EBF has the higher number
        (i.e. 10972), so its the one you want if you want the latest. The
        cover letter that accompanies it has a date on it too.


> which happens to be the same for both EBFs:

>       The 12.5 GA version string is:

>       Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5/SWR 9609 GA/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8/main
>       /1647/32-bit/FBO/Sat Jun  2 00:49:20 2001

> ... which is exactly what I have.
> Does that I mean I can just use either one of the two ?

        Yes, but I would probably recommend the later one. If you read thru
        the cover letter, you'll find what been fixed between the two versions
        (one of the columns on the left is the EBF number, as it changes it
        goes back thru the versions).

-am     ? 2003

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by Mik » Wed, 07 May 2003 00:04:45


To follow up this question, I checked the sybase's Download/EBFs, here
is what I found for Sun-Solaris:

  Platform:    Sun Solaris

 ASE - Enterprise - EBF 11109: 12.5.0 One-Off - DDLGen Utility Update
12.5 02 May 2003 EBF/Patch
 ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10972: 12.5.0.3 ESD #1      12.5 02 Apr 2003
EBF/Patch
 ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10973: 12.5.0.3 ESD #1 - 64 Bit      12.5 02
Apr 2003 EBF/Patch
 ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10985: 12.5.0.3 IR - 64 Bit Language Modules  
   12.5 04 Mar 2003 EBF/Patch
 ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10984: 12.5.0.3 IR Language Modules      12.5
04 Mar 2003 EBF/Patch
 ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10689: 12.5.0.3 IR - 64 Bit      12.5 05 Feb
2003 EBF/Patch
 ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10688: 12.5.0.3 IR      12.5 03 Feb 2003
EBF/Patch

We have installed sybase 12.5 a year ago, here is the output of

Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5/SWR 9609 GA/P/Sun_svr4/OS
5.8/main/1647/32-bit/FBO/Sat Jun  2 00:49:20 2001

We never applied any EBF so far, still GA release.

So, my question is, which one do I need to apply to GA release? If EBF
10972 is the right one, for example, does it cover all bug-fixes since
SWR 9609 GA?

How does EBF system work? Do I need to apply them one by one in a
specific sequence, or we only need to apply the latest one which
includes all fixes the previous EBFs contain?

Thank you in advance.

Lix

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by willy_and_the_c » Wed, 07 May 2003 09:12:04


Hiya Mike,

EBF= Emergency Bug Fix normally come with a cover letter. The cover
letter for EBF#10972 has the following
<------------------------Quote------------------>
ASE Version Note
     ----------------

     Verify that your current ASE is at version 12.5 or any
     12.5.0.x version
     up to 12.5.0.3 by running the following query from isql:


        2> go

     If your server is not running, you can get version string by
     running

     $SYBASE/$SYBASE_ASE/bin/dataserver -v

If this shows that the ASE Server is NOT at version 12.5 or any 12.5.0.x
version up to 12.5.0.3 stop here. Do NOT proceed. Your software needs to
be at version 12.5 or any 12.5.0.x version up to 12.5.0.3 prior to
applying this EBF.

The 12.5 GA version string is:
Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5/SWR 9609 GA/P/Sun_svr4/OS
5.8/main/1647/32-bit/FBO/Sat Jun  2 00:49:20 2001
<------------------------Un-Quote------------------>

All ASE EBF's are cumulative unless otherwise mentioned in the Cover
Letter. Most customers always apply the most latest IR= INTERIM
RELEASE before applying the next cunmulative EBF. This is mostly
because most Sybase partners certify their products on GA and each
cumulative IR release.

However there is nothing stopping you going from ASE 12.5 GA to ASE
12.5.0.3 ESD#1(ESD=Electronic Software Distribution). This also
operfectly acceptable as per the Cover Letter.

Cheers
Willy

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by John Salv » Wed, 07 May 2003 10:01:16




>>I wanted to download and upgrade our installation of 32-bit ASE 12.5 to
>>12.5.0.3 ( Solaris 8 ). Never done this before so here it goes:

>>Now which one of the following do I download?

>>ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10972: 12.5.0.3 ESD #1
>>ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10688: 12.5.0.3 IR

>>Am I correct in that "IR" means "International Release"?

>    No, it means Interim Release. The later EBF has the higher number
>    (i.e. 10972), so its the one you want if you want the latest. The
>    cover letter that accompanies it has a date on it too.

Thanks.
I was about to ask what EBF stood for ... eventually found it meant
"Emergency Bug Fix" and ESD is "Enterprise Solutions Division"??

http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1010446,00.html#e

I presume the previous acrnoym for EBF, which was SWR, meant "SoftWare
Release"?

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by John Salv » Wed, 07 May 2003 10:04:30



> We never applied any EBF so far, still GA release.

> So, my question is, which one do I need to apply to GA release? If EBF
> 10972 is the right one, for example, does it cover all bug-fixes since
> SWR 9609 GA?

I believe so ... since installing it would bring you up to 12.5.0.3

Quote:

> How does EBF system work? Do I need to apply them one by one in a
> specific sequence, or we only need to apply the latest one which
> includes all fixes the previous EBFs contain?

Yes ... the latest EBF contains all other previous EBFs.

However, I am not sure yes how to go about installing an EBF to ASE.
What I have found so far was the __post__ installation task:

http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1013610,00.html

... but not the actual steps needed to install the EBF itself. From the
looks of the tgz file, it seems you just need to overrwrite the contents
of your exsiting ASE-12.5 directory.

Quote:

> Thank you in advance.

> Lix

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by John Salv » Wed, 07 May 2003 10:09:22



> However, I am not sure yes how to go about installing an EBF to ASE.
> What I have found so far was the __post__ installation task:

> http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1013610,00.html

> ... but not the actual steps needed to install the EBF itself. From the
> looks of the tgz file, it seems you just need to overrwrite the contents
> of your exsiting ASE-12.5 directory.

Found it ... I was right:

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013599

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by Anthony Mandi » Wed, 07 May 2003 16:30:12



> I was about to ask what EBF stood for ... eventually found it meant
> "Emergency Bug Fix" and ESD is "Enterprise Solutions Division"??

        Either that or Electronic Software Distribution.

Quote:> http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1010446,00.html#e

> I presume the previous acrnoym for EBF, which was SWR, meant "SoftWare
> Release"?

        Well, the previous acronym was EBF then they added SWR (and IR
        and rollup etc. etc. etc.) and now they've gone full circle.

        A patch is all it really is (although now they also add features).
        I suspect someone didn't like the connotations in "emergency"
        somewhere along the line. Not sure why they just don't call it
        "enumerated" instead. Just as good and makes sense with the number.

-am     ? 2003

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by Anthony Mandi » Wed, 07 May 2003 16:36:52



> To follow up this question, I checked the sybase's Download/EBFs, here
> is what I found for Sun-Solaris:
...
>  ASE - Enterprise - EBF 11109: 12.5.0 One-Off - DDLGen Utility Update
> 12.5 02 May 2003 EBF/Patch
>  ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10972: 12.5.0.3 ESD #1      12.5 02 Apr 2003
> EBF/Patch
>  ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10973: 12.5.0.3 ESD #1 - 64 Bit      12.5 02
> Apr 2003 EBF/Patch
>  ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10985: 12.5.0.3 IR - 64 Bit Language Modules
>    12.5 04 Mar 2003 EBF/Patch
>  ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10984: 12.5.0.3 IR Language Modules      12.5
> 04 Mar 2003 EBF/Patch
>  ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10689: 12.5.0.3 IR - 64 Bit      12.5 05 Feb
> 2003 EBF/Patch
>  ASE - Enterprise - EBF 10688: 12.5.0.3 IR      12.5 03 Feb 2003
> EBF/Patch

> We have installed sybase 12.5 a year ago, here is the output of

> Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5/SWR 9609 GA/P/Sun_svr4/OS
> 5.8/main/1647/32-bit/FBO/Sat Jun  2 00:49:20 2001

> We never applied any EBF so far, still GA release.

> So, my question is, which one do I need to apply to GA release? If EBF
> 10972 is the right one, for example, does it cover all bug-fixes since
> SWR 9609 GA?

        Yes, the bug fixes are cumulative. You can see that in the
        cover letter where it lists the bug fixes by EBF number (from
        the current down). But its a simple process of elimination.
        You are using 32-bit so cross out the 64-bit. The language
        modules are for foreign language support (which you probably
        don't need). And 12.5.0.3 ESD #1 is later than 12.5.0.3 IR.
        10972 is new but seems to cover the DDLGen utility only.
        If you don't make use of DDLGen you probably don't need that
        but it never hurts to read the cover letter.

Quote:> How does EBF system work? Do I need to apply them one by one in a
> specific sequence, or we only need to apply the latest one which
> includes all fixes the previous EBFs contain?

        The latter.

-am     ? 2003

 
 
 

Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

Post by Mik » Thu, 08 May 2003 00:56:12


Thanks all for your valuable inputs!

So, what the differences are among IR, ESD, EBF? Should I go for IR or ESD?

Thanks again!

Quote:> All ASE EBF's are cumulative unless otherwise mentioned in the Cover
> Letter. Most customers always apply the most latest IR= INTERIM
> RELEASE before applying the next cunmulative EBF. This is mostly
> because most Sybase partners certify their products on GA and each
> cumulative IR release.

> However there is nothing stopping you going from ASE 12.5 GA to ASE
> 12.5.0.3 ESD#1(ESD=Electronic Software Distribution). This also
> operfectly acceptable as per the Cover Letter.

 
 
 

1. ASE 11.5 vs ASE 12 : exclusive locks at page / table

We are in the process of upgrading from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.0

In ASE 11.5,
Our developers use the following to get a table level exclusive lock :

  begin tran
  update T1 set C1 = xxx where 1 = 3
  ...
  ...

This grants a table level exclusive lock.

In ASE 12.0,
The same stuff grants a level exclusive lock on a page and a Exclusive
Intent lock on the table.
So, the developers are planning to start using the lock table command.

I do not know the exact details regarding their programming ... why
they are doing this,  what isolation level they need etc. etc.

But I am surprised at the behaviour of ASE 12.

I created a test table T1 with one column C1.
There were no indexes.
I inserted one row in the table with C1 = 1.
The table had Allpages locking scheme.
When I gave the following :

  begin tran
  update T1 set C1 = 2 where C1 = 1 /* this results in 1 row updated
*/

I got a page level exclusive lock and a table level exclusive intent
lock.
The Performance and Tuning Manual says on page 26-8 (bottom of page) :

"If no index exists on any of the search arguments, Adaptive Server
must acquire a table-level lock."

Either the manual is incorrect or I am missing something.
Please help.

2. SQL Data Types...

3. Migrating dbs from ASE 11.0.3.3 (desupported) to ASE 12.x

4. control files and datafiles

5. installdbccdb with 12.5.0.3 EBF

6. snaphot replication

7. sybase ase 12 to sqlserver 2000

8. Informix Dumpdir

9. ASE 12 / DTM / CICS ---> detached threads

10. Adding new language into ASE 12

11. ASE 12.5.X on MS Windows 2003 Server

12. ASE 12.5.0.3 under RedHat 9

13. Sybase ASE 12.x on HP-UX 11i Itanium Processor