16 Bit app trying to access 32 bit ODBC driver

16 Bit app trying to access 32 bit ODBC driver

Post by Mehul Pate » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

Here's the issue:
I am using a 16 bit application on Win95 that accesses databases
through  a 32-bit intersolve odbc driver...The odbc driver thunks up to
the 32 bit driver and gets me to the DB login window after I enter user
id and password...I get the following message...
ct_connect():network packet layer:internal network library error:Attempt
to use invalid address handle.

Anyone know how I can get around this problem???

Thanks in advance...Mehul Patel

16 Bit app trying to access 32 bit ODBC driver

Post by Scott Harde » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00

I have always been under the impression that you cannot mix 16 bit and
32 bit applications.  To use a 32 bit ODBC you will need the 32 bit Open
Client.  I know of no way to have a 16 bit application successfully use
the 32 bit Open Client or ODBC drivers.  Get yourself a 32 bit app, or
install the 16 bit Open Client and 16 bit ODBC drivers.

Post by Jason Froeb » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I have always been under the impression that you cannot mix 16 bit and
> 32 bit applications.  To use a 32 bit ODBC you will need the 32 bit Open
> Client.  I know of no way to have a 16 bit application successfully use
> the 32 bit Open Client or ODBC drivers.  Get yourself a 32 bit app, or
> install the 16 bit Open Client and 16 bit ODBC drivers.

Scott,

You are almost correct.  There is no way for a 16bit app to access 32bit
ODBC but you can access 16bit ODBC from a 32bit app.  Not easy but can
be done.

Jason

16 Bit app trying to access 32 bit ODBC driver

Post by Peter Collar » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

16 bit odbc apps call a 16bit odbc thin layer that "thunks" to the 32bit
ODBC, which in turn needs Sybase 32bit drivers.

Mixing 16 & 32 bit apps just needs a bit of care in setting up, but the
only thing you cant do is go from 32bit to 16 bit - but who wants to
anyway.

You may find you need an 'old' 16 bit netlib - there were some ebfs that
didnt work alongside the 32 bit ones.

--
Peter Collard
Senior DBA

1. ODBC driver installation conflicts (between 16 bit and 32 bit drivers) on NT

: Hi there,
: we've installed the Oracle ODBC driver two weeks ago (the one which
: came with the Oracle Workgroupserver 90 day trial edition). After we
: deinstalled this we have trouble installing Microsofts new ODBC
: drivers. I guess the trouble lies in the conflict that there are two

NT supports both the 16bit ODBC subsystem, which uses the usual config
files (ODBC.INI and ODBCINST.INI), and the 32bit subsystem, which
uses the registry.

To get rid of 16bit files, examine the .INI files and delete all
.DLLs specified by the various settings for the appropriate drivers,
then remove the driver entries from both ODBC.INI and ODBCINST.INI.

To get rid of 32bit files you'll need to use REGEDT32 and find the
appropriate ODBC entries. Remove the .DLL files specified by
the ODBC entries, then remove the registry entries. The usual
caveats re: mucking with the registry apply.

Oracle's workgroup drivers are 16bit, if I remember correctly, so
they should be installed using the appropriate version of ORAINST. Any
32bit drivers are best installed either using the 32bit version of
ODBCADM or through the control panel ODBC applet - if the driver
diskettes include an ODBC.INF file. If they don't, you'll just have
to trust that the installation program uses the 32bit routines...

--

Fax: +358 0 33 88 22                                    " Why me? "

2. OLAP Definition - Debate continues

3. Postmaster help output

4. corruption of 16 bit db when used by both 16 and 32 bit apps

5. How to query remote database?

6. 16 bit app. vs 32 bit ODBC

7. 16-bit ODBC v2.0 from 32-bit NT APP

8. Migrating 16-bit ODBC DLL (SQLServer) to 32-bit ODBC DLL (MS Access)

9. Connect 16-bit VB app to 32-bit Access 97 DB

10. 16-bit/32-bit ODBC drivers - NT Environment

11. 16 bit ODBC drivers in the 32 bit environment