rowid

Post by Wong Chung Y » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
        In Oracle, all table has an attribute rowid . Is there anything like
rowid in sybase?

rowid

Post by Bret Halfo » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

|> Hi,
|>   In Oracle, all table has an attribute rowid . Is there anything like
|> rowid in sybase?

You can use the sp_dboption option of "auto identity" so that every user
table created will automatically have an identity field included, which will
act as a rowid.  But the default configuration does not have anything
corresponding to rowid.
| Bret Halford                    Imagine my disappointment       __|
| Sybase Technical Support        in learning the true nature  __|
| 6400 S. Fiddlers Green Circle   of rec.humor.oracle...    __|
| Englewood, CO 80111-4954 USA                             |

rowid

Post by Eric Mame » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,
>         In Oracle, all table has an attribute rowid . Is there anything like
> rowid in sybase?

NO, it has always been Sybase 'pride' not to do it
because this is supposingly not relational...

You must now what the best index is and use it
(usually a Clustered Index on the primary key)

rowid

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Sybase does have a way of determing uniques for rows (obviously), which
> is sometimes called a rowid.  However, this is not comparable to the
> rowids of Oracle and Informix.  A Sybase rowid is a combination of page
> number and offset, and is neither readable nor writeable by a user.

        What? You mean I can't use dbreadpage() and dbwritepage()
        to hose 'em?

-am

rowid

Post by oamud.. » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,
> >         In Oracle, all table has an attribute rowid . Is there anything like
> > rowid in sybase?

> NO, it has always been Sybase 'pride' not to do it
> because this is supposingly not relational...

> You must now what the best index is and use it
> (usually a Clustered Index on the primary key)

I believe the rowid column in Oracle is similar to the identity column
in Sybase.

rowid

Post by Bob Lunney - BSG Corporatio » Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > > Hi,
> > >         In Oracle, all table has an attribute rowid . Is there anything like
> > > rowid in sybase?

> > NO, it has always been Sybase 'pride' not to do it
> > because this is supposingly not relational...

> > You must now what the best index is and use it
> > (usually a Clustered Index on the primary key)

> I believe the rowid column in Oracle is similar to the identity column
> in Sybase.

Nope, sorry.  The rowid in Oracle is an entry describing the file, block
and row number of a row in a database.  It is a pointer directly to that
row, and as such is the fastest way to reference a row in Oracle.

Sybase doesn't have anything like it (available to Joe DBA).  I'm not
about to moralize on whether this is A Good Thing or A Bad Thing...

--
Bob Lunney              | Building tomorrow's legacy
BSG-Cary                | systems today. (tm)

(919) 461-6261          | the dark.  -- Dwight Moody

1. How can I convert a CDA rowid to a ROWID representation (BBBBBBBB.RRRR.FFFF)?

Hi All

how can I convert the cda.rid to something I can use as a rowid
(i.e. WHERE ROWID = :1)

Actually what I want to do is to print the ROWID in a
BBBBBBBB.RRRR.FFFF format.

Thanks

Shaya

the windows rowid structure in the cda is defined as :

struct {           /* rowid structure */
        struct {
                ub4    rcs4;
                ub2    rcs5;
                ub1    rcs6;
        } rd;
        ub4    rcs7;
        ub2    rcs8;

2. Filling a grid quickly

3. How to get rowid of records

4. Creating Relationships in Enterprise Manager

5. RowID

6. How to debug in-process automation object ??

7. where to find ROWID of a column in a table

8. unions on views (workaround?)

9. rowid for MS SQL

10. ROWID from Gupta SqlBase on Microsoft SqlServer?

11. Equivalent for RowID

12. rowid with MS SQL?

13. Identity Column - Rowid as PK