ASE 12.5.0.3 under RedHat 9

Post by Alain RICHAR » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:40:51

I have tried to run the current Sybase ASE 12.5.0.3 ebf 10696 under the
new RedHat Linux 9 version.

During srvbuild, the dataserver process is launched to build the master
database. It fails filling the log with "current process (xxxx) infected
with 11" errors and trace logs.

As you may know, the new RedHat 9 have got a new glibc and a new
implementation of os threads that is supposed to be far better than the
previous one.

As a consequence, it seams the current Sybase version is unable to run
with it.

I know this is a non supported plateform, but I wonder if and when
Sybase will be supporting it.

Regards,

Alain RICHARD
EQUATION SA

ASE 12.5.0.3 under RedHat 9

Post by Michael Pepple » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:07:27

> I have tried to run the current Sybase ASE 12.5.0.3 ebf 10696 under the
> new RedHat Linux 9 version.

> During srvbuild, the dataserver process is launched to build the master
> database. It fails filling the log with "current process (xxxx) infected
> with 11" errors and trace logs.

> As you may know, the new RedHat 9 have got a new glibc and a new
> implementation of os threads that is supposed to be far better than the
> previous one.

> As a consequence, it seams the current Sybase version is unable to run
> with it.

> I know this is a non supported plateform, but I wonder if and when
> Sybase will be supporting it.

Sybase has stated that it is concentrating on the RH Advanced Server
releases, and that certification on other versions is secondary. As the
threading model has changed I wouldn't expect a certification on RH 9 in
the near future.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler                              Data Migrations, Inc.

ASE 12.5.0.3 under RedHat 9

Post by CSC » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 00:35:04

>> I have tried to run the current Sybase ASE 12.5.0.3 ebf 10696 under the
>> new RedHat Linux 9 version.

>> During srvbuild, the dataserver process is launched to build the master
>> database. It fails filling the log with "current process (xxxx) infected
>> with 11" errors and trace logs.

>> As you may know, the new RedHat 9 have got a new glibc and a new
>> implementation of os threads that is supposed to be far better than the
>> previous one.

>> As a consequence, it seams the current Sybase version is unable to run
>> with it.

>> I know this is a non supported plateform, but I wonder if and when
>> Sybase will be supporting it.
> Sybase has stated that it is concentrating on the RH Advanced Server
> releases, and that certification on other versions is secondary. As the
> threading model has changed I wouldn't expect a certification on RH 9 in
> the near future.

I think Sybase should also provide workaround on RH9.  Like Oracle, I can
change the makefile so that the latest version can run on RH9.  However,
Sybase can only provide RPM!

ASE 12.5.0.3 under RedHat 9

Post by CSC » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:17:10

I have tested the ASE 12.5 on Mandrake 9.1.  It works fine

>>> I have tried to run the current Sybase ASE 12.5.0.3 ebf 10696 under the
>>> new RedHat Linux 9 version.

>>> During srvbuild, the dataserver process is launched to build the master
>>> database. It fails filling the log with "current process (xxxx) infected
>>> with 11" errors and trace logs.

>>> As you may know, the new RedHat 9 have got a new glibc and a new
>>> implementation of os threads that is supposed to be far better than the
>>> previous one.

>>> As a consequence, it seams the current Sybase version is unable to run
>>> with it.

>>> I know this is a non supported plateform, but I wonder if and when
>>> Sybase will be supporting it.
>> Sybase has stated that it is concentrating on the RH Advanced Server
>> releases, and that certification on other versions is secondary. As the
>> threading model has changed I wouldn't expect a certification on RH 9 in
>> the near future.
> I think Sybase should also provide workaround on RH9.  Like Oracle, I can
> change the makefile so that the latest version can run on RH9.  However,
> Sybase can only provide RPM!

1. ASE 11.5 vs ASE 12 : exclusive locks at page / table

We are in the process of upgrading from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.0

In ASE 11.5,
Our developers use the following to get a table level exclusive lock :

  begin tran
  update T1 set C1 = xxx where 1 = 3

This grants a table level exclusive lock.

In ASE 12.0,
The same stuff grants a level exclusive lock on a page and a Exclusive
Intent lock on the table.
So, the developers are planning to start using the lock table command.

I do not know the exact details regarding their programming ... why
they are doing this,  what isolation level they need etc. etc.

But I am surprised at the behaviour of ASE 12.

I created a test table T1 with one column C1.
There were no indexes.
I inserted one row in the table with C1 = 1.
The table had Allpages locking scheme.
When I gave the following :

  begin tran
  update T1 set C1 = 2 where C1 = 1 /* this results in 1 row updated
*/

I got a page level exclusive lock and a table level exclusive intent
lock.
The Performance and Tuning Manual says on page 26-8 (bottom of page) :

"If no index exists on any of the search arguments, Adaptive Server
must acquire a table-level lock."

Either the manual is incorrect or I am missing something.
Please help.

2. Query output to excel workbook automatically

3. Migrating dbs from ASE 11.0.3.3 (desupported) to ASE 12.x

4. How can i select min field from same record?

5. sybase ase 12 to sqlserver 2000

6. CAL Upgrade

7. ASE 12 / DTM / CICS ---> detached threads

8. Adding new language into ASE 12

9. Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

10. ASE 12.5.X on MS Windows 2003 Server

11. Sybase ASE 12.x on HP-UX 11i Itanium Processor

12. installing ASE 12 on WIN2K - syconfig.exe GPF