Cursors from hell / Sybase PB3.0 a/d

Cursors from hell / Sybase PB3.0 a/d

Post by Susan Whit » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00



Please help, desperation has set in. I am trying to convert a previously
Watcom app to sybase. I have a cursor running for a select with 13569
result rows. After about 40 rows returned, I get a 100 return code on
FETCH NEXT with message that I was trying to initiate a new SQL Server
operation with results pending. I have no idea what to do. I tried to
mess with the dbparm options but ran into weirder problems. Does anybody
have a clue and/or (preferably) a solution? To clarify: I am using sybase
system 10 NLM. Dbparm="release='4.2'". W3dblib.dll dated 3/1/94 and
wdbwsktc.dll dated 2/18/94. I was not trying to do ANYTHING other than
fetch in my fetch loop. The same code works fine on a smaller result set.
I have updated pb3.0a to pb3.0d with the same results, just minus the
descriptive error message.

Thanks ever so much...in advance.

 
 
 

Cursors from hell / Sybase PB3.0 a/d

Post by JOHN D. CANELL » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00


Try creating (and eventially destroying) and using a separate transaction
object for the cursor.  My guess is that SQLCA is being used for some
other SQL call in addition to your cursor.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
David Canellos
Federal Home Loan Banks - Office of Finance
Reston, VA, USA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 
 
 

Cursors from hell / Sybase PB3.0 a/d

Post by Susan Whit » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00


To all my fellow PB/Sybasers who replied with good friendly advice...
Thanks for all your help, I eventually untangled the problem which had to
do with using separate transaction objects explicitly for each separate
operation on the database. Problem had to do with a function call that
had "hidden" sql select and a deadlock conflict. Thanks again, Susan