Sybase ASE for Linux - software license

Post by Janusz Mar » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello

Please help me !
I have just  read the Sybase software license for Linux. Because my english
is not very good I do not quite understand if I can use it for commercial
purposes, I mean with Windows client .
I do not now also if I can use the ODBC drivers for Linux Sybase as free.
Below is a part of this license

    1. LICENSE & LICENSE RESTRICTIONS. You are allowed to install and use
       the Software for free as long as you operate the Software at all
       times only with the Linux operation system running natively on your
       hardware system. You may modify, translate or adapt the Software as
       long as you do not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble it
       (except to the extent the laws in your jurisdiction specifically
       prohibit these restrictions). You may not use the Software for
       timesharing, rental or service bureau purposes. You may copy the
       Software as long as you copy all of it and do not remove this
       Agreement or the copyright notices and other proprietary notices
       included in the Software or documentation. You must reproduce this
       Agreement and all notices included in the Software on all copies
       or extracts of the Software and Documentation. Results of benchmark
       or other performance tests run on the Software may not be disclosed
       to any third party without Sybase's prior written consent.

Thanks.

Post by David Whitmar » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hello

>Please help me !
>I have just  read the Sybase software license for Linux. Because my english
>is not very good I do not quite understand if I can use it for commercial
>purposes, I mean with Windows client .
<snip>

It's not a question of how good your english is, but how good your
obfuscated legalese is. By any reasonable definition of "timesharing,
rental or service bureau purposes", I would say that most commercial
purposes are permitted. e.g., you could use it for running your own
company's accounts/web-site etc, but not to charge someone else for
running theirs.

However, bear in mind that my native language is english, not
obfuscated legalese, so reasonable definitions of common terms may not
necessarily apply.

David Whitmarsh

remove "spamtrap." from email address before replying

Sparkle Computer Co Ltd

Sybase C C++ perl UNIX NT