patches for ASE 11.5.1 on HPUX 11

Post by Chris Curve » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:32:59

Hi all,

I'm in the process of moving from ASE 11.5 running on HPUX 10 to ASE 12
on HPUX 11.  The upgraded server will run on a new box.  My strategy is
to install ASE 11.5 on the new box, dump/load the databases, the upgrade
the new box to ASE 12.

The HPUX patches required for ASE 12 have already been applied to the
box, but I can't find patch information for 11.5 (and support for it was
dropped last winter).

So I have two questions:

1) What patches are required to run 11.5 on HPUX 11?
2) Will any of the patches required for ASE 12 hurt ASE 11.5?

thanks!

--
Chris Curvey
Curvey Consutling

Post by Anthony Mandi » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:33:29

> I'm in the process of moving from ASE 11.5 running on HPUX 10 to ASE 12
> on HPUX 11.  The upgraded server will run on a new box.  My strategy is
> to install ASE 11.5 on the new box, dump/load the databases, the upgrade
> the new box to ASE 12.

        It would be simpler to install ASE 12 (with the latest EBF) and
        then load in dumps from the ASE 11.5 server. This will save you
        the trouble of doing the in situ ASE 11.5 to ASE 12 upgrade. Do
        a few trial runs first and test the new version before switching
        production over. The only limitation here is that your device
        layouts need to be much the same (for the loads) but you will
        have new system databases rather than upgraded ones. This latter
        point may be important because of the changed layouts on the
        master device in ASE 12 (and above). The type of layout you have
        (new install or upgraded layout) determines which version of
        buildmaster you'll need to use if you ever need to recover master
        and/or model (you'll find the notes for this in the Installation
        Guide and Release Notes for ASE 12 that came with your copy).
        The only other issue is migrating logins and roles over. This
        should be relatively easy though. I doubt that you'd be able
        to dump and load the old master database across (depends on
        whether the devices are different between the two HP-UX servers).
        You can't load an older ASE version of master into a newer
        version anyway.

Quote:> So I have two questions:

> 1) What patches are required to run 11.5 on HPUX 11?
> 2) Will any of the patches required for ASE 12 hurt ASE 11.5?

        You'd probably really need to find out if ASE 11.5 is supported.
        Its been EOL'd so its probably no point bothering.

-am     ? 2001