Case Sensitivity and MS Sql Server

Post by USF S » Thu, 06 Oct 1994 04:01:02

I know that switching between a case sensitive and case insensitve server
using Sybase is a major issue, actually I belive I was told it is
impossible.  However I am at a NT MS SQL Server based client who now feels
that his case sensitive server is causing his people headaches and would
like to switch to case insensitive.  If anyone has actually performed the
switch on NT or knows if it is impossible your help would be very much
appreciated.

TIA
Tom
Platinum Software Corp

Post by Greg Fie » Fri, 07 Oct 1994 01:05:53

: I know that switching between a case sensitive and case insensitve server
: using Sybase is a major issue, actually I belive I was told it is
: impossible.  However I am at a NT MS SQL Server based client who now feels
: that his case sensitive server is causing his people headaches and would
: like to switch to case insensitive.  If anyone has actually performed the
: switch on NT or knows if it is impossible your help would be very much
: appreciated.

To change the sort order you *must* re-install NT MS SQL Server.  All
of the system tables, etc are built based on the defined sort order.

Be very careful when changing the default sort order.  Once we re-installed
to change the sort order and 'OK'd when we should have 'Done'd or something
and the server came up in the default sort order--Very frustrating :(.

Sort order is a big decision, since servers with different sort orders cannot
share backups and will have problems sharing data ('Smith' and 'SMITH'
are distinct values for case-sensitive, and the same for case-insensitive).

Good luck,

Greg

(in search of a cool signature file...)

Post by george anders » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 02:04:17

>Newsgroups: comp.databases.sybase
>Subject: Re: Case Sensitivity and MS Sql Server
>Date: 5 Oct 1994 16:05:53 GMT

*** YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REINSTALL SQL SERVER TO CHANGE SORT ORDER... SQL Server
will rebuild indexes on the system tables after the sort order has been
changed. The best thing to do is to open a tech support case and have them
walk you through the change...

>: I know that switching between a case sensitive and case insensitve server
>: using Sybase is a major issue, actually I belive I was told it is
>: impossible.  However I am at a NT MS SQL Server based client who now feels
>: that his case sensitive server is causing his people headaches and would
>: like to switch to case insensitive.  If anyone has actually performed the
>: switch on NT or knows if it is impossible your help would be very much
>: appreciated.
>To change the sort order you *must* re-install NT MS SQL Server.  All
>of the system tables, etc are built based on the defined sort order.
>Be very careful when changing the default sort order.  Once we re-installed
>to change the sort order and 'OK'd when we should have 'Done'd or something
>and the server came up in the default sort order--Very frustrating :(.
>Sort order is a big decision, since servers with different sort orders cannot
>share backups and will have problems sharing data ('Smith' and 'SMITH'
>are distinct values for case-sensitive, and the same for case-insensitive).
>Good luck,
>Greg
>(in search of a cool signature file...)

Case Sensitivity and MS Sql Server

Post by Brian Mora » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 00:51:46

The same issues that apply with a Sybase server, also apply with
SQL NT. You cannot change the sort order of a server without
rebuilding master. Period.

However the SQL Transfer Manager will transfer data between
servers of a different sort order. When possible I use this
approach, otherwise you're looking at BCP with the /c option...

Brian Moran
DataFocus Inc

Case Sensitivity and MS Sql Server

Post by Michael Buini » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 13:53:58

An additional consideration is that setting up a server as case-insensitive
can reduce performance by about 25% (according to manuals).

Michael Buining

1. Case sensitivity for table and column names for MS SQL Server 6.5

Not within SQL Server, however, if your table and column names are
distinct enough, you should be able to fix your code by running
it through some general search/replace tool. If you know Perl, this
is a perfect tool for the task.

You may also want to reconsider your position on using a case-sensitive
sort order. You say that your data is case-sensitive, but I'm a little
uncertain what you mean by that. Would really "Jeltsin" and "JELTSIN"
be two different customer names? Or do you mean that you want to
preserve the case that the user entered? In such case, case-insensitive
is the way to go, because SQL Server will change no case, and the user
is much happier if he does not have to remember if he put in "Jeltsin"
or "JELTSIN" when he initially added the customer to the data base.

--

F=F6r =F6vrigt anser jag att QP b=F6r f=F6rst=F6ras.
B=65sid=65s, I think QP should b=65 d=65stroy=65d.

2. Hello

3. MS SQL Server 6.0 case sensitivity question

4. The numbers are not match in 7.1.2

5. Question on Scope of Case-Sensitivity on a Case-Sensitive SQL Server 7.0/2000

6. System Maintained keys

7. SQL Server and case sensitivity

8. Oracle AQ Retry with Delay Interval

9. Case-sensitivity in SQL Server 6.5

10. Case Sensitivity in SQL Server

11. Case sensitivity in SQL Server 6.5

12. Changing the Font and Case Sensitivity of SQL Server without reinstalling

13. Turn off case sensitivity on SQL server