Sybase SQLAnyWhere 5.0 & Powerbuilder

Post by Michael Carm » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I would be interested in hearing from people if they're using PB
and SQLAnywhere.  We've been doing so for about 2 months & I'd like to compare
notes on a couple of issues.

1. Sybase SQLAnywhere 5.0 for NT bugs

Sybase seems to want you to pay THEM to accept bug reports.  Symantec is
the same way.  I am rather ticked with this attitude.  The vendor has sold
a defective product and refuses to ever listen to the complaints.  This is
not the same as requesting support.  When you report bugs you are doing
them a favour.

(1) If you create a large people database and index by a secondary index
postalCode, you can do very rapid searches with SQL of the form: SELECT *
FROM PEOPLE WHERE POSTALCODE BETWEEN 'V5H0A0' AND 'V5H9Z9';  However if you
add an ORDER BY clause of any kind the search will take an EXTREMELY long
time, even if you select only a couple of records.  From the PLAN presented
which says it is building a temp table based on POSTALCODE, I think the
fool thing is searching the ENTIRE POSTALCODE index from beginning to end,
or is reading the entire database beginning to end.  Even when I give it an
estimate of 1% it does the same thing. It should simply scan that little
section of the POSTALCODE index spin off the people records it finds and
sort.

(2) with the -b option on dbeng50 I found many times that even after a
COMMIT-WORK, when I restarted the database, my last actions were not there.
I have not nailed down precisely when this happens.  I suspect it may be
related to running out of RAM.  I found I could bypass the problem by
turns out is faster even though it takes many passes through the data).

For the JAVA GLOSSARY and the CMP Utilities: <http://mindprod.com>
--
Roedy Green,  Canadian Mind Products
-30-

2. Query/Report Builder

3. sybase sqlanywhere 5.0

4. SYBASE-to-JAVA

5. SQLAnywhere 5.0 vs Visual Basic 5.0

6. MS developers opgelet!!

7. ******NY-POWERBUILDER 5.0/SYBASE-CONS./LONG-TERM**********

8. Q&A Expert and "master data" - what does it means?

9. PowerBuilder 5.0/Sybase SQL Server 10 Connection Prob

10. Connecting Powerbuilder 5.0 to Sybase

11. how to connect PowerBuilder 5.0 to sybase

12. DC-Washington Metro-248058--PowerBuilder-ORACLE-PowerBuilder 5.0/6.0 Developer