Change the size of the TDS packet size

Post by Jorge Verga » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:40:54

Hello.

  I am currently investigating the possibility of encreasing the
performance of an application that causes heavy network trafic.

  Can anyone tell me how can I change the size of the TDS packet the
client is using in its communications with the server?

  I am using Sybase A.S.E 12.5 on Windows 2000.

Thanks a lot.

Jorge Vergara

Post by Anthony Mandi » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:37:49

>   I am currently investigating the possibility of encreasing the
> performance of an application that causes heavy network trafic.

>   Can anyone tell me how can I change the size of the TDS packet the
> client is using in its communications with the server?

        You would need to be able to change the source code. If you
        don't have access to that, you're out of luck. Otherwise, what
        you change depends on what library the application uses.

Quote:>   I am using Sybase A.S.E 12.5 on Windows 2000.

        Note that somewhere along the line, either in ASE 12.5 GA or
        a subsequent EBF, the TCP NO_DELAY option was set to be on by
        default. It used to be off by default. This may be responsible
        for your increased network traffic.

-am     ? 2003

Change the size of the TDS packet size

Post by Jorge Verga » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:55:41

Anthony.

  Thank you very much for your response.

  I do have access to the source code. The application accessess the
database through ODBC (api calls, no RDO, ADO, etc).

  As for TCP NO_DELAY, it is on on my box. Is there a way of changing
it on a connection basis?

Jorge

Post by Anthony Mandi » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:44:15

> I do have access to the source code. The application accessess the
> database through ODBC (api calls, no RDO, ADO, etc).

        OK, I don't know how you would do it thru ODBC.

Quote:> As for TCP NO_DELAY, it is on on my box. Is there a way of changing
> it on a connection basis?

        No, its a server-wide setting.

-am     ? 2003

Change the size of the TDS packet size

Post by Jorge Verga » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:09:13

Anthony.

  Could you point me to some resource (site, documentation, etc) that could help me?

Jorge

Post by Anthony Mandi » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:12:36

> Could you point me to some resource (site, documentation, etc) that could help me?

        Start here -> http://www.sybase.com/support/manuals/

-am     ? 2003