Database Device Size on 11.9.2 (Sun)

Post by Leonard Niseno » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm curious what the maximum size for a database device on a file system.
I know raw partitions is something like 32gb, but I'm not sure if limit
of a file system device is as high.  I spent at least 30 minutes trying
to find this in the Sybase documentation and couldn't.

Thanks,

Leonard

Database Device Size on 11.9.2 (Sun)

Post by preiksc.. » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Leonard,

You are right, the raw partition size for this particular platform is
limited to 32Gb. The maximum device size of a file system device is 2Gb.
Let me know how you are going with 11.9.2, I tried it a while ago and
did not take the plunge. Too many weird things happened when I ran it
in the development environment.

  Regards Jens

Quote:> I'm curious what the maximum size for a database device on a file

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Anthony Mandi » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I'm curious what the maximum size for a database device on a file system.
> I know raw partitions is something like 32gb, but I'm not sure if limit
> of a file system device is as high.  I spent at least 30 minutes trying
> to find this in the Sybase documentation and couldn't.

        Part of the problem is that its an OS-related issue. Solaris 2.5.1
        and lower doesn't have large file support. So you're stuck with
        2GB file device sizes. However, I don't see why Sybase can't support
        large files on Solaris 2.6 and 7. Certainly ASE 11.9.3 should
        support it on Solaris 7 (but I can't be sure since I STILL haven't
        received my copy).

-am

Post by Ken H » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > I'm curious what the maximum size for a database device on a file system.
> > I know raw partitions is something like 32gb, but I'm not sure if limit
> > of a file system device is as high.  I spent at least 30 minutes trying
> > to find this in the Sybase documentation and couldn't.

>         Part of the problem is that its an OS-related issue. Solaris 2.5.1
>         and lower doesn't have large file support. So you're stuck with
>         2GB file device sizes. However, I don't see why Sybase can't support
>         large files on Solaris 2.6 and 7. Certainly ASE 11.9.3 should
>         support it on Solaris 7 (but I can't be sure since I STILL haven't
>         received my copy).

> -am

The specification is stated in the *Release Bulletin*. From the release bulletin
of ASE 11.9.3
for Solaris 2.7:

max device size (for both file system and raw partition ) = 32 GB

Max database size (4TB) = 128 (max number of device fragments per database) *
max device size

HTH

Ken