Sybase ASE 12.x on HP-UX 11i Itanium Processor

Sybase ASE 12.x on HP-UX 11i Itanium Processor

Post by Andre » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:49:09

Hello,

We have an Sybase ASE 12.0 Server with Sybase Enterprise Application Server
(Jaguar) 4.6.1 and want to replace our PA-RiSC Hardware with Itanium Processor.
Are there any problems wirh ASE 12.x or EAS 4.6.1 on this platform. Are there
special Sybase Product Versions to support Itanium.

Sincerly, Andreas

Post by Olli » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:47:49

> Hello,

> We have an Sybase ASE 12.0 Server with Sybase Enterprise Application Server
> (Jaguar) 4.6.1 and want to replace our PA-RiSC Hardware with Itanium Processor.
> Are there any problems wirh ASE 12.x or EAS 4.6.1 on this platform. Are there
> special Sybase Product Versions to support Itanium.

> Sincerly, Andreas

Sybase software is certified on OS and not on processor type.

Post by David Owe » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 08:33:13

  >> Hello,
  >>
  >> We have an Sybase ASE 12.0 Server with Sybase Enterprise Application
  >> Server (Jaguar) 4.6.1 and want to replace our PA-RiSC Hardware with
  >> Itanium Processor.  Are there any problems wirh ASE 12.x or EAS 4.6.1
  >> on this platform. Are there special Sybase Product Versions to support
  >> Itanium.
  >>
  >> Sincerly, Andreas

  Ollie> Sybase software is certified on OS and not on processor type.

I think that this is a bit of a non answer, sorry.  What about Solaris?
There is no ASE for Solaris *on* i386.  Same version of Solaris though.

I suspect that the answer to the question is that it is not available

My first thoughts are endian, are the two processors the same in that
respect?

dowen
--

Maintainer of the Sybase FAQ: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ

1. Sybase ASE 12.0 and HP-UX 11i

I have an 8 way system running ASE 12 on HP-UX 11.11. I have configured 7
engines but have not "bound" an engine to a specific processor. I have
documented evidence that a single CPU can service 3 or 4 engines with less
than .3% context switching so I think it makes sense to configure up to 16
engines.

On the other hand, ASE won't start any more than 8 engines and tells me I
have exceeded the CPU count. If the CPU can properly service multiple
engines, why am I only able to start one per CPU? I don't want to bind an
engine to a CPU because there is way too much time during the day that the
CPU would be sitting there doing nothing.

What am I missing here? This seems to be an internal check that Sybase makes
during startup.

2. Summary w/FieldNames

3. ASE 12.x migration on HP-UX

4. Personal Database Questions

5. Is ASE 12.0 available for HP-UX 10.20?

6. FREE JDBC DRIVER for SQL-Server

7. Sybase 12 and onwards on Data General UX (DG/UX)

8. PowerStudio users can you help

9. Sybase 12 (ASE) drivers Slower than Sybase 11.

10. Mirror Disk and Sybase ASE on HP-UX 11.0

11. Sybase ASE on HP-UX 11

12. Essbase 5.0.2 patch 12 on HP-UX 11

13. sybase ase 12 to sqlserver 2000