Mac TCP/IP stack for Open Client

Post by Dave Rudisi » Wed, 22 Jun 1994 03:09:58

We are developing an app that will run in a large organization that has
both PCs and Macs.  We would like to use Open Client.  We know what we need
to do in the PC world: The clients are running IPX, for which a net-lib is
available.  In the case of the Macs, however, we will need to put TCP/IP on
those machines.  Is MacTCP the only TCP/IP stack that the Mac Open Client
supports?  Are there public domain alternatives?  Anybody know the site
license cost for MacTCP?

Post by James Duchar » Thu, 23 Jun 1994 22:32:04

> We are developing an app that will run in a large organization that has
> both PCs and Macs.  We would like to use Open Client.  We know what we need
> to do in the PC world: The clients are running IPX, for which a net-lib is
> available.  In the case of the Macs, however, we will need to put TCP/IP on
> those machines.  Is MacTCP the only TCP/IP stack that the Mac Open Client
> supports?  Are there public domain alternatives?  Anybody know the site
> license cost for MacTCP?

Open Client used to (and probably still does) support TCPort from Novell
which is basically the same thing as MacTCP, but came bundled with some
Novell stuff. I don't know how much development has been done with it
because MacTCP is basically the standard on the Mac. From all of the
documentation I have, Open client does not support any TCP/IP drivers on
the Mac besides those two.

I would NOT recommend using anything besides MacTCP because then no other
application (that I know of) would work since everythign I've seen (with
the exception of Novell and Sybase stuff) only works with MacTCP.

APDA sells it for $59 for a single license, and then you can buy a 20-user
extension for $69. The new product name is "TCP/IP Connection for
Macintosh" and the part numbers are M8113Z/A ($59) and M8115Z/A ($69).

For more copies than that, I would talk to them. You may want to check the
open client disks however. Sybase used to bundle MacTCP with it and THEY
licensed it from Apple so you didn't have to. I believe you can put it on
as many Macs as you licensed Open Client for. Let's put it this way. I
haven't seen anyone who has had to purchase MacTCP yet because so many
applications have it pre-licensed for you.

   _/_/  _/  _/   Software Developer         |  Phone:      (617) 876-4876
  _/ _/ _/  _/    Natural Intelligence, Inc. |  FAX:        (617) 492-7425
 _/  _/_/  _/     2067 Massachusetts Avenue  |  AppleLink:  NATURAL
_/    _/  _/      Cambridge, MA  02140       |  CompuServe: 72427,177

Mac TCP/IP stack for Open Client

Post by Feller_ » Fri, 24 Jun 1994 01:55:12

MacTCP will be bundled with the next release of the MacOS System 7.5.
It is currently bundled with the Sybase Open Client for Macintosh. In
either case MacTCP is FREE and supported by Apple (for what that's
worth).

1. US-CA-Burbank TECH SUP PC, MAC, TCP/IP, Connectivity to mainframe/client server SMCI

Job Id: #818

Title : Technical Support Representative

Skills: TCP/IP, PC and MAC, DOS, Windows

Preferred - Hypertext Programming, Novell/Netware

Location  : Burbank
Start Date: Immediate
Pay Rate  : $27.65 an hr.
Length    : 1 year

PC and MAC technical support including PC connectivity to client-server
and mainframe systems.

Contact: Software Management Consultants, Inc.      818 240-3177
     500 North Brand Blvd., Suite 1090          fax 818 240-7189
     Glendale, CA  91203

SMCI is a national consulting and professional search firm with a
proven track record since 1983.  Our services include technical,
analytical and managerial support for a broad range of systems,
applications and software development.  All inquiries are held in
confidence.

2. SQL SELECT - adding unique ID

3. Open Client TCP/IP to Novell

4. access error

5. Sybase Open Client/Server 10.0 for OS/2 using LS4.0 TCP/IP

6. RecordsAffected = -1

7. Which TCP/IP for Sybase Open Client

8. Trigger and Column Value / Using a NET SEND in a Trigger

9. Watcom4 client on Pathway TCP/IP can't open UDP socket - HELP

10. Multiple TCP/IP stacks and a single DB2 instance(OS/390)

11. general tcp/IP network error after changing sql server tcp/ip address

12. Comparing NetBios->TCP/IP vs TCP/IP Sockets running SQL Server ODBC

13. Configuration Informix server with reaseau TCP/IP /Configuration serveur Informix avec reaseau TCP/IP