dump and load with different named segments?

dump and load with different named segments?

Post by aco.. » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

All,
   I am going to be creating a new dataserver. The old dataserver was
set up with multiple (small) devices (segmented) for performance
reasons. But testing has shown that striping with segmentation (over
not so many small devices, with fewer segments) is just as fast and
much simpler to administer! The main reason is that not that many
devices get hit at once. The database is going to grow pretty large, so
I don't want to be limited by the number of devices (max). I'd like to
have multiple 4 gig or 8 gig devices, instead of the many 1 gig as
currently.
I don't think there is an easy way to migrate to new devices without
totally messing up the segmentation. BCP would be a nightmare given the
size of the database (60 + gigs), not to mention many tables. Maybe
cross server 'select into' (which is giving me problems on a test
server)?
Thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Anthony Mandi » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>    I am going to be creating a new dataserver. The old dataserver was
> set up with multiple (small) devices (segmented) for performance
> reasons. But testing has shown that striping with segmentation (over
> not so many small devices, with fewer segments) is just as fast and
> much simpler to administer!

        I do this from time to time. I see it as part of the continual
        maintenance process.

Quote:> The main reason is that not that many devices get hit at once.

        This may change as you change your layouts.

Quote:> The database is going to grow pretty large, so
> I don't want to be limited by the number of devices (max).

        Depending on what your usage patterns are, partitioning
        tables and placing them over several device fragments helps
        improve performance. Of course, you end up going back to
        square one.

Quote:> I'd like to have multiple 4 gig or 8 gig devices, instead of the many
> 1 gig as currently.
> I don't think there is an easy way to migrate to new devices without
> totally messing up the segmentation.

        No, there isn't.

Quote:> BCP would be a nightmare given the
> size of the database (60 + gigs), not to mention many tables. Maybe
> cross server 'select into' (which is giving me problems on a test
> server)?

        Select into's are just inserts. bcp insert would give better
        performance. You could try using Scott Gray's sqsh to do it.
        Set up some scripts and you can run them as often as you like.
        If you are on Solaris or Linux, you could also try my BCPtool
        (look for a post I did earlier today for the URL).

-am

Post by Luc Van der Veurs » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> I'd like to have multiple 4 gig or 8 gig devices, instead of the many
>> 1 gig as currently.
>> I don't think there is an easy way to migrate to new devices without
>> totally messing up the segmentation.
>    No, there isn't.

I can't find in the documentation since what version of ASE the 2GB
limit on devices disappeared. Anyone knows ?

Luc.

Luc Van der Veurst                                      ISUG Treasurer
Academic Hospital, VUB                             http://www.isug.com
Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
32 - 2 477 69 80

dump and load with different named segments?

Post by Eric McGran » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Check out:

http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocId/ID=800

For device sizes/limitations.

> >> I'd like to have multiple 4 gig or 8 gig devices, instead of the many
> >> 1 gig as currently.
> >> I don't think there is an easy way to migrate to new devices without
> >> totally messing up the segmentation.

> >       No, there isn't.

> I can't find in the documentation since what version of ASE the 2GB
> limit on devices disappeared. Anyone knows ?

> Luc.

> Luc Van der Veurst                                      ISUG Treasurer
> Academic Hospital, VUB                             http://www.isug.com
> Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
> 32 - 2 477 69 80

  mcgrane.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Michael Pepple » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> >> I'd like to have multiple 4 gig or 8 gig devices, instead of the many
> >> 1 gig as currently.
> >> I don't think there is an easy way to migrate to new devices without
> >> totally messing up the segmentation.

> >       No, there isn't.

> I can't find in the documentation since what version of ASE the 2GB
> limit on devices disappeared. Anyone knows ?

It's not entirely version dependant. For example, 11.9.2 on linux is still
limited to 2GB.

I remember that 11.5 on Solaris 2.6 could address 32GB, I'm pretty sure that
11.0.x can't, except possibly on Digital/Compaq Unix (where it is 64bit anyway).

Michael
--
Michael Peppler         -||-  Data Migrations Inc.

Int. Sybase User Group  -||-  http://www.isug.com

dump and load with different named segments?

no question that BCP is faster also significantly more reliable at speed.